Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
How are profiles approved or by whom?
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorpmasl
User since 2003
United States Posts: 677
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Hello all,
A current case:
I subimited a profile (300 in steelbook) earlier than another fellow, and by what i can see in the approval history, it also got approved first. I was amazed when updating my profiles, a list of amazingly erroneous info came up. I had to resubmit almost everything again and i think the approval system made a big mistake. So i was wondering if this is getting common with other people, i mean, my steelbook cover was approved, but the case type i got in the update was a keep case? Who checks these things? And shouldn't we write were we are getting the cast and crew info from? That other guy submited no such info and still got approved?
A few mistakes were: the disc trait should be in portuguese (Edição Especial) not "special edition", it was produced in 2006 in the US, not in 2007, this edition in steelbook (like you can see in the approved cover), not keepcase, that one is the"regular" edition, but still got through the approval. Audio tracks include commentary. I also resubmitted disc info (it has EAN code and DL, as an original purchase should have, not a pirated edition as i suspect is the case of that other guy, i mean it was a lousy contribution) and cast was already as credited (what's the @ sign doing here?). We in the dvd profiler community are aiming for a clean and spotless database, not filled with junk derived from much haste when submitting just for the sake of doing so. Please approval personal, be more careful in the future, i'm not talking about minor nuances, i'm talking major obvious errors...
Regards
PL
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorTomGaines
Registered Sept. 24, 2001
Germany Posts: 2,005
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Did you vote on the contribution of the other contributor? According to the approval history there was a 2-day window for doing this. A valid "no"-vote by you is a great help for the screeners. They do not have the DVDs at hand to check themselves and rely on other users who have this DVD to give them input.

User since 2003
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Forgot to say it was a new contribution, apparantly made almost at the same time, and those couldn't show up on the contribution list until released.
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting pmasl:
Quote:
Forgot to say it was a new contribution, apparantly made almost at the same time, and those couldn't show up on the contribution list until released.

According to approval history, yours was accepted two days before the other one. That means, from the moment yours was approved, the other one was up for voting for two days.

User since 2003
Posted:
Indeed, i grant that and must make a habit of checking even if they are new contributions, although 2 days is kind of short, most of us don't check the invelos daily because there's no time to...
On the other hand, approve a profile that turns an existing one much more incomplete? And most of this info is visible on the cover that already existed, but again, it's also my bad.   

PS:got to know  Cast & Crew Editor v1.5.4 because of your sig. great...
 Last edited: by pmasl
Posted:
Quoting pmasl:
Quote:
Indeed, i grant that and must make a habit of checking even if they are new contributions, although 2 days is kind of short, most of us don't check the invelos daily because there's no time to...

I think 2 days is a good compromise between getting new contribution released fast but giving time for others to vote on it.
Quote:
On the other hand, approve a profile that turns an existing one much more incomplete? And most of this info is visible on the cover that already existed, but again, it's also my bad.   

Maybe there were misguided yes-votes and no "no"-vote. This way, the screeners only have the yes-votes as a guidance.
Quote:

Thanks

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributornorthbloke
United Kingdom Posts: 5,459
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
The screeners like (most of) us are only human and sometimes mistakes will be made.
That's why we get to preview profile updates before we accept them.
It does sound odd that they would allow what sounds like an obviously bad submission overwrite good info, but if it was a new profile, maybe they didn't see your info when they checked it?
I know it's a bit of a pain, but just resubmit your good info and explain in the notes what happened.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantkdh1949
Have Gun Will Travel
United States Posts: 2,394
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I agree with Northbloke, PL.  Resubmit your good info, make sure you document it, and people will have a couple of days to vote on it.  If your info really is better, which it sounds like it is, it will probably be approved.
Another Ken (not Ken Cole)
Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.
DVD Profiler user since June 15, 2001
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorVoltaire53
Missed again!
United Kingdom Posts: 2,293
Posted:
What northbloke said.

This is actually reasonably rare; the problem tends to crop up for titles that nobody has done a pre-release profile for BUT is when it comes out more than one person puts in a profile for it very quickly.

Actually it's annoying enough if there is a pre-release profile (having to compare 3 or 4 people's updates and check which is best so as not to get it overwritten... why people don't check to see if 3 others have put in the same update before they do I'm not sure  ) but it's even worse if there isn't because the system recognises all the new contributions as 'new' and people can't pre-compare them.

In your case the other chap probably just did a 'basic profile using guesswork' for others to build on but obviously didn't know about your well researched one just ahead of him. Most of the time it would be noticed but, as mentioned, the Screeners are only human and this was one of the situations when nobody else had the title to vote on... I must admit I was surprised that only 3 people voted on my update when the regular 300 R2 UK was released last week, I was expecting more people to have bought it!
It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorBerak
Bibamus morieundum est!
Norway Posts: 1,059
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting pmasl:
Quote:

WHAT?! You don't check it daily?!!?     

Shame on you...     
Berak

It's better to burn out than to fade away!
True love conquers all!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
Only daily?         

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantkahless
TaH pagh taHbe'!
Germany Posts: 17,804
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Only daily?         

Skip

..every 2-3 hrs. here!

...more or less 
Thorsten
 Last edited: by kahless
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantlmoelleb
Beer Profiler now!
Denmark Posts: 630
Posted:
Quoting kahless:
Quote:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Only daily?         

Skip

..every 2-3 hrs. here!

...more or less 

I try do do this as well, but after a few weeks the lack of sleep does become a problem - sleeping 4x2 hours just isn't the same as 8 hours of sleep.
Regards
Lars
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantkahless
TaH pagh taHbe'!
Germany Posts: 17,804
Posted:
Quoting lmoelleb:
Quote:
Quoting kahless:
Quote:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Only daily?         

Skip

..every 2-3 hrs. here!

...more or less 

I try do do this as well, but after a few weeks the lack of sleep does become a problem - sleeping 4x2 hours just isn't the same as 8 hours of sleep.

affirmative!

Thorsten
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantWhite Pongo, Jr.
No, I iz no Cheshire Cat!
Posted:
Quoting TomGaines:
Quote:

I think 2 days is a good compromise between getting new contribution released fast but giving time for others to vote on it.

I think it's too short a notice, especially as there is no PM notification of new profiles to be voted.
-- Enry
 Last edited: by White Pongo, Jr.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantWhite Pongo, Jr.
No, I iz no Cheshire Cat!
Posted:
Quoting lmoelleb:
Quote:
Quoting kahless:
Quote:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Only daily?         

Skip

..every 2-3 hrs. here!

...more or less 

Try sleepvoting
-- Enry
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next