Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
"Special Makeup"
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
Profiling since Dec. 2000
Netherlands Posts: 8,667
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Simple question: how would we enter a "Special Makeup" credit? Is it "Make-up Artist", or is it "Make-up Effects"?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Sweden Posts: 4,526
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting T!M:
Quote:
Simple question

Maybe not quite so simple. I would say it depends on the context, e.g. what the film is. If it is obvious that there are effects make-ups in the film then "Make-up effects". If it's just regular, but complicated, make-up then "Make-up Artist". If, for example, someone was made up to look like Gene Simmons in Kiss, then that might be labeled "Special Make-up", without being effects makeup.

But, not knowing the context, I would lean towards "Make-up Effects".
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
Posted:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
I would say it depends on the context, e.g. what the film is.

As we're all working on a shared database, "it depends on the context" isn't exactly a great approach - it needs consistency. That's why we have contribution rules in the first place - to ensure that the data listed in the online database has some consistency.

Sure, I can divulge the specific title that prompted me to ask this question, but I intentionally made the question more generic. I can't imagine that we really want to decide this on a title-by-title basis, trying to dissect what a certain make-up artist exactly did on that particular picture, and then expect to reach consistent decisions - I really don't see that happening. FYI: this particular profile has 11 other make-up people listed, both "make-up artists" and "make-up effects", and there's no way of knowing what this twelfth particular person exactly did. He's just credited for "Special Makeup", without any further specification. His IMDb-page shows me that he's credited on other films for providing tattoos. That's nice to know, but even so, I still can't know for sure what he exactly did on this film. All the credits tell me are the words "Special Makeup", and in such cases, I feel there needs to be a consistent answer to the question: does that qualify for "Make-up Artist" or "Make-up Effects"?
Profiling since 2001
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Well, in that case the solution is simple. Don't enter him at all. ”Special make-up" is not in the list, so we don't have to guess. That's the only way to get consistency.
Gunnar
Posted:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
”Special make-up" is not in the list

But "Make-up" *is* in the list. Do you really feel that the word "Special" invalidates the credit? A "special" make-up artist is not still a make-up artist?
Profiling since 2001
Posted:
What I try to say is that if you truly want consistency, then the only way to accomplish that is to enter only those credits that are actually listed in the rules. As soon as we get into "this means that", we will have inconsistencies.

That said, I for one accept inconsistencies. If I see "Special make-up" in a film where it is obvious that there are no make-up effects, then I'll list it as "Make-up Artist". A decision here that it probably is an effects make-up in your case wouldn't change my mind.
Gunnar
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next