Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: New Users Forum Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next
Need a nudge to purchase pro version of DVD Profiler
Ric01
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I've shorted listed my upcoming purchase of pro version of either "Dvd Profiler" or "All my movies"

For those in the forum who knows the features of both software well, please help me decide by listing down the pros of DVD profiler vs All my movies. As the "other company"'s web-site had specifically listed the pros of switching from DVD Profiler to All my movies, I like to know the reverse as well to be fair. I like to make an informed decision by reading both sides of the story.

Many thanks in advance

Ric
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
United States Posts: 6,396
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Any reason you couldn't compare the trial versions of both? The unregistered version of DVDP is close to fully functional if you have fewer than 50 DVDs in the collection.

A lot of this stuff is subjective to the user - like buying a car. What things are most important to you? Maybe we can comment on how DVDP would suit your priorities.
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorMithi
Sushi Annihilator
Germany Posts: 2,216
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quote:
Currently, All My Movies supports over 14 source databases:

So it is a data-scraper, that all I need to know to not like it (your mileage may vary) because for technical data those sources are notoriously unreliable.[1]

from http://www.bolidesoft.com/dvd-profiler.html
Quote:
With our program you are able to download movie details automatically from dozens of movie sites including IMDb.

As stated above, that this is not possible with Profiler is a for me.
Quote:
You are able to export your collection to many formats including PDF, HTML, CHM, MS Excel and other.

Not possible with Profiler directly but with the exception of CHM possible with plug-ins. So a for people that want everything out of the box, otherwise a draw.
Quote:
"DVD Profiler relies to much on UPC code and pictures are not as crisp as what I see on your program."

I don't understand "relies to much on UPC code" and that the pictures are better is doubtful at best. If I have time later on I will install "All my movies" on a test-vm and give it a spin.
Quote:
"from the testing version of All My Movies I found it much easier to add - plus I love the barcode ability it works wonderfully with my scanner!"

A cue-cat works just as well with DVD Profiler.
Quote:
"want to change from dvd profiler because I can not make a list by actor"

I can filter on an actor or click on an actor in the cast-list.
Quote:
As you probably know, DVDProfiler is a user generated database, and is therefore lacking when it comes to obscure movies."

Yes, that might be a problem, but as it is user generated, you can always generate! 
Quote:
"I found DVD Profiler to be messy and unorganized.

A matter of personal preference, although there are several different layouts available.
Quote:
"The ability to add my own screen shots. Nice GUI.Easy to use"

Screen shots are possible with HTML-windows, but I admit that this is not 'easy to use'.
Quote:
"because is user friendly,has screenshots and the most important plays avi files directly from the program"

Again, possible, but not easy and out of the box.
Quote:
"DVD Profiler lacks the ability to enter movies on formats other than DVD"

"other than DVD or BD" and it is correct, and exactly what I like about it. You always can define own media-formats, but you would have to fill in the information yourself (or start with a fitting DVD/BD profile)
Quote:
"Interface with IMDB"

VADE RETRO SATANAS 

cya, Mithi

[1] I recently audited the Audio Tracks of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World", Country: Italy, UPC: 5-050582-770742
Amazon.it claims them to be:
Inglese (DTS-HD High Res Audio)
Francese (Dolby Surround)
Italiano (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Tedesco (Dolby Surround)
Spagnolo (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Portoghese (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Russo (Dolby Digital 5.1)

While they really are:
English DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
French DTS 5.1
Italian DTS 5.1
German DTS 5.1
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Russian Dolby Digital 5.1
and 4 Commentaries in Dolby Surround
Mithi's little XSLT tinkering - the power of XML --- DVD-Profiler Mini-Wiki
 Last edited: by Mithi
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
United States Posts: 2,845
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Use the trial versions of each for a week or two and get in the user forums and ask a lot of questions.

---------------
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
My spin on some of Mithi's comments:
- playing .avi is available out of the box with My Links
- screen shots are supported by the Gallery function
- My Movies can import from DVD Profiler - in fact it used to be dependent on that function. Three guesses as to why the reverse is not a high requirement? (Hint: it would be useless, except as a way to make a one-time conversion, and plugins can do that.). Once you go DVDP, you don't go back! 
Thanks for your support.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbbbbb
on steroids
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ric01:
Quote:
please help me decide by listing down the pros of DVD profiler

We have entertaining threads about diacritics.
Don't confuse while the film is playing with when the film is played. [Ken Cole, DVD Profiler Architect]
Sushi Annihilator
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
- playing .avi is available out of the box with My Links

Ah, never bothered with links. I suspected they were menat for URLs only.
Quote:
- screen shots are supported by the Gallery function

eh ... I knew that ... yeah ... somebody hacked me an wrote this other posting ... 
(that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
United States Posts: 3,475
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:

- My Movies can import from DVD Profiler

I've forgotten how/why but My Movies has changed this function.

I would research this because I believe it will delete your invelos database once utilized.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Sweden Posts: 4,508
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
There is one big difference between All My Movies and DVD Profiler, and you can kinda tell from their names. One is movie oriented and the other is DVD (and BD) oriented.

When you download data in AMM you only get the movie data. So if you have any interest in anything related to the disc you have to enter it yourself. That includes important data such as actual runtime (you get the runtime for the movie, probably the theatrical version), audio info, subtitle info, aspect ratio, etcetera. And it follows that AMM knows nothing about box sets, child profiles etc.

Another difference that may not be important to everybody, but is important to me is that AMM doesn't have collection categories. You can flag a movie as wishlist, but that's all. Personally I use "Bought", "Shipped" and "Owned" (the two first being custom categories).

Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
I would research this because I believe it will delete your invelos database once utilized.

Well, I can put your mind at ease on this point, Kathy. It doesn't touch the Invelos database at all. You export to XML and import that into AMM. I tried it. The export took a couple of minutes, the import into AMM took 4 hours (6000+ profiles). But that's a one time operation, so no biggie.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:

- My Movies can import from DVD Profiler

I've forgotten how/why but My Movies has changed this function.

I seriously doubt that. My Movies would not have access to the Invelos database, just the XML used for the import. If My Movies actively scanned your hard drive to delete the Invelos database, that would undoubtedly be an illegal act that no reputable company would perform. (oh I see I GSyren beat me to it!  )
Thanks for your support.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
Sushi Annihilator
Posted:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
When you download data in AMM you only get the movie data.

Just tested it, imported a hundred profiles via XML.

Neither Regions nor Audiotracks. That might be curable, I believe there was something called own data, but out of the box completely useless for my needs.

And the leeched covers (tried a few recent blockbusters) are at best par with DVD Profiler. I'm not sure were the "better" comes from, most likely the never saw covers from the paid Profiler version.

Quote:
And it follows that AMM knows nothing about box sets, child profiles etc.

Jupp, imported my "Star Trek"-Collection Category which is child ridden ... complete mess after import.

cya, Mithi

PS The whole Codec, Resolution stuff etc might be interesting in the future, but right now I see absolutely nothing that would make me choose AMM over Profiler.
Profiling since 2001
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
All My Movies does have one feature that seemed neat, "Group Movies By", for example by country:

Notice that even though AMM is movie oriented it doesn't even have any role names. How worthless is that?
Gunnar
Ric01
Posted:
Big thanks to everyone for such an informative discussion......

I guess I may be the odd person to ask if I purchase the pro version of DVDProfiler, would I be able to use any export feature in Profiler to export the movie list to any text file or excel file so that I can transfer the list to my blackberry ... ....I know you may be thinking I am a caveman using Blackberry..my company provided the blackberry free for my use and being a cheapo, I intend to use BB until I leave the company, then I can go after the latest and greatest iphone 7 (if available at that time) or Android..

Thanks in advance for your any of your ideas and comments
Sushi Annihilator
Posted:
Quoting Ric01:
Quote:
...would I be able to use any export feature in Profiler to export the movie list to any text file or excel file so that I can transfer the list to my blackberry

Yes, the plug-in CSVExport allows you to do that.

cya, Mithi
Profiling since 2001
Posted:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
Notice that even though AMM is movie oriented it doesn't even have any role names. How worthless is that?

Well, I've got to correct myself here. It does include role names if you download from online, it just doesn't import role names from DVD Profiler.

But something it doesn't have, as far as I can tell, is sort title. I guess that would be another deal breaker for a lot of us? And no way to change layout. And no online collection.
Gunnar
Ric01
Posted:
GSyren....thanks for pointing out two distinct differentiation that DVD Profiler has compared to AMM :-

Huge for me...thanks

1) Ability to sort Title
2) Able to change layout

I have 10 years' worth of movie DVD purchases (a few thousand DVD titles currently listed in Excel - please don't tell my wife how much I spent on DVD because I had given her the impression I have not enough money to buy her new jewelry).

My collection includes a ton of documentary DVD eg National Geographic series, blue planet series, WW2 historical series which I may have to key in some odd data manually when I switch to DVD Profiler

Question to my forum friends, would DVD profiler have the flexibility for me to add additional fields in the layout to capture additional information unique to documentaries box sets.

Any limitation to the number of fields I can add for each entry?

Thanks
    Invelos Forums->General: New Users Forum Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next