Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
If I can't upgrade to 3.0 will I still have all functionality and new profiles?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhayley taylor
Past Contributor
United Kingdom Posts: 1,022
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Scottie

Not an attack    but I just wondered why you are still using ME?
The longer time goes on the greater chance 'new' software will be incompatable with older O/S

Is there a program you use regularly that only functions well on ME?

cheers
Rich
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantnolesrule
United States Posts: 366
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting widescreen forever:
Quote:
I can't see why it would not run on ME as it is very close to its younger sister XP.,
I ran ME for over 4 years and it was one of the most stable O/S I used.,
I finally updated to XP when I changed PC's in 2005.., and of course very happy with Xp SP2 Pro.

ME is nothing like XP under the hood and was a huge step backwards from 98.  I refuse to do any support for ME in my computer consulting business because it was nearly impossible to fix.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorwidescreenforever
Under A Double DoubleW
Canada Posts: 5,481
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Well I don't know about impossible it did have the Restore feature of which the other three didn't have ( 95/98/2000), plus  I found that it was able to install a lot of drivers over the other three as well. You need drivers for that old printer, more than likely in the data base over '98 any day.

But There was a lot of processor chipped MotherBoards from Dell  ( the E machines) that was a real cheapo PC, and there were problems with ME, I agree. But in my situation, I ran just fine and it had its day and it is now not being recognised for upgrades and patches etc.,  But to say it was impossible to fix., I never found that in 4 years,.
In the 60's, People took Acid to make the world Weird. Now the World is weird and People take Prozac to make it Normal.

Terry
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quote:
I can't see why it would not run on ME as it is very close to its younger sister XP.,

My understanding is that Me is build on the 95/98 framework and XP is built on the NT/2000 framework.  I could be wrong.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBattling Butler
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting scottiew:
Quote:
I have Windows ME currently and thus can't upgrade. I have the premium so will I still get all updated profiles and everything with 2.5? Thanks in advance.

Not to be harsh, but you really need to upgrade your 8+ year old OS!
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorDJ Doena
Germany Posts: 6,738
Posted:
Quote:
I ran ME for over 4 years and it was one of the most stable O/S I used.,
I finally updated to XP when I changed PC's in 2005.., and of course very happy with Xp SP2 Pro.
ME is the last OS on the DOS+Win Branch, whilst XP is from the NT Branch. They have nothing in common except for the general look that is common on all MS OSses since Win95/NT4.

Don't let MS ever fool you: All 95, 98 and ME were based on DOS.

Windows 95: DOS 7.0 + Windows 4.0
Windows 98: DOS 7.1 + Windows 4.1
Windows ME: DOS 8.0 + Windows 4.9

Whereas the NT line:

Windows NT 4.0: NT 4.0
Windows 2000: NT 5.0
Windows XP: NT 5.1
Windows Vista: NT 6.0

The system identified themselves as above.

You can try it xourself. Simple run Start->Run->command or Start->Run->cmd. There you can see your exact version.
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

Last edited: by DJ Doena
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantdgl_thrawn
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
To be honest I have not had the opportunity to test on Me, only 98, 2000, XP, and Vista.  98 functions but is not stable.  It's possible Me may work, but not especially likely.  However, I have today ordered a copy of Me for testing.  I'll update this post when I have more information.  The copy is coming from Austrailia though , so it will be a few days.

Currently my only access to the internet is at work and, due to other programs not running on anything above Windows 98, I am unable to upgrade to XP or Vista for the foreseeable future. Would I be able to get 3.0 to install on win98, albeit unstable? If so, how would I go about it? You say you've tested it. How was this done?
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1 2  Previous   Next