Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1  Previous   Next
DVD Profiler Not Responding When Adding DVD (or Viewing Options)
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantseanbob
United States Posts: 24
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
When adding a DVD profile to my collection (or using Tools > Options), DVD Profiler hangs, the cursor remains as a "loading" circle, a white overlay covers the software window, and the status bar at the top says "Invelos Software DVD Profiler (Not Responding)." If adding a DVD, this behavior occurs AFTER updating the Online Profile List, but BEFORE it loads the Add DVD window. The software can then only be closed by killing the application process (dvdpro.exe).

Previously I tried these efforts to fix it:
Repairing my movie database
Creating a new (empty) movie database
Deleting and re-downloading the Online Profile List
Removing all plugins and restoring all settings
Uninstalling/reinstalling DVD Profiler

I also reinstalled my entire system from the OS on up to solve the problem, but it returned anyway. I am currently running DVD Profiler v3.8.2 on Windows 7 64-bit with all the latest updates.

I created an Invelos support ticket for this issue that provided me with a "working" solution, but one that is a bit complicated and only temporary. That solution is to uninstall Internet Explorer 10, restart the computer, reinstall Internet Explorer 10, and restart the computer again. Then I can add DVDs to my collection once more. Today that "fix" took me 15 minutes to perform and worked less than an hour before DVD Profiler was non-responsive again.

I've used this software for years before now without a problem, so I'm pretty sure this is a software bug (or at least a recently introduced incompatibility with Win7 x64, MS updates, and/or IE10) that should be addressed by the developer. But if anyone else has experience with this issue, I'd really appreciate your help in determining the cause.

In the end, I hope for a bug fix, but will settle for any ideas that don't require a lengthy uninstall/reinstall every time it happens.

Thanks in advance!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
United States Posts: 2,845
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting seanbob:
Quote:
I've used this software for years before now without a problem, so I'm pretty sure this is a software bug (or at least a recently introduced incompatibility with Win7 x64, MS updates, and/or IE10)

I strongly suspect it's IE10, of which Microsoft should be thoroughly ashamed.

---------------
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
If the error re-occurs after X-amount of time (and not instantly) it's unlikely that IE10 in itself is causing the problem. More likely that a (or a combination) of PlugIns is getting you in trouble.

Please disable all PlugIns of IE10 (especially external Toolbars) and check if the error persists.
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
Posted:
I appreciate the thoughts so far. I disabled all add-ons in IE10 as suggested and DVD Profiler began to work again. This really surprised me as I was only looking at some standard items in that IE add-on list:

Shockwave Flash Object
Adobe PDF
Apple Quicktime Object
Microsoft Silverlight
Windows Media Player
Home Server Banner
Office Document Cache Handler
Send to OneNote/OneNote Linked Notes
Java Plug-In SSV Helper

Are any of these known to have compatibility issues with DVD Profiler?

I should also note that the problem does not reoccur instantly, nor after a set amount of time (in fact, it varies wildly), so it's been quite difficult to determine the cause without knowing how to replicate it. I had some unfounded suspicions, but disabling (possibly conflicting) IE add-ons now seems to suggest that they aren't the cause of the problem.
 Last edited: by seanbob
Posted:
A quick follow-up note:

I've since re-enabled ALL add-ons in IE10, including some that were previously disabled, and DVD Profiler is still functioning properly at the moment. So if the cause is indeed an add-on related error, it doesn't trigger simply by the add-on being active/enabled.

Of course not, that would be too easy...
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantLpt2018
Posted:
I'm having the same problem. Program keeps freezing, then it's a constant database repair cycle.

All plug-ins are disabled / turned off.

Any other suggestions ?.
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1  Previous   Next