Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
"Mark as read" button
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKulju
Finland Posts: 2,337
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I would love to see manual "Mark as read" button for each subforum, instead on some time based automated marking. I don't know what the time interval at the moment is, but it doesn't work anyway. At the moment if you have very active thread on some subforum, you cannot monitor new posts based on "unread" posts icon since status doesn't change right after you actually have read all the unread posts on that subforum. This also leads into situations where unread icon completely loses it's point, since some threads can actually have unread posts and some don't and they both have unread posts icon active. Present system also have two other problems:

- Every time you contribute, entering contribution notes is counted as forum visit and all posts will marked as read.
- You cannot just keep Invelos forums page open all the time, since after some time all post will be automatically marked read no matter if you actually read them or not.

All other forums I read use manual Mark as read function and IMHO it works much better.
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
For example this thread still is marked as unread and I was the last (and only) one posting in it 1,5 hours ago. I have no idea what should trigger to make it as read.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStaNDarD
Germany Posts: 662
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
+1
This is the only forum I know, where the threads I visit keep marked as unread. So it would be good to have those threads automatically switched to read until a new post is submitted by someone else.
Posted:
Quoting StaNDarD:
Quote:
+1
This is the only forum I know, where the threads I visit keep marked as unread. So it would be good to have those threads automatically switched to read until a new post is submitted by someone else.

On top on this we need also "Mark as read" button each subforum to mark those threads read which you don't actually read/follow. Otherwise main forum page will always show subforums with unread posts. It would be painfully slow to individually open each thread you don't read, just to mark them "read".
Posted:
"Quoted posts should reflect edits" thread still show as unread, even the last post was mine almost 3,5 hours ago. I don't get this forum's logic.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
United States Posts: 2,847
Posted:
Quoting Kulju:
Quote:
I would love to see manual "Mark as read" button for each subforum, instead on some time based automated marking.

I would prefer that Invelos' programming efforts remain focused on DVD Profiler rather than on the forum software.

---------------
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStaNDarD
Germany Posts: 662
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kulju:
Quote:
"Quoted posts should reflect edits" thread still show as unread, even the last post was mine almost 3,5 hours ago. I don't get this forum's logic.

IIRC you have to leave this site for about an hour to get all old 'new threads' marked as unread and see only new 'new threads' as unread. As long as you reload this site at least once within this time frame they'll never disappear.
 Last edited: by StaNDarD
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
United States Posts: 17,309
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
You don't even have to wait that long. All you have to do is sign out and sign back in. I been doing it that way for years.
Pete
Posted:
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
You don't even have to wait that long. All you have to do is sign out and sign back in. I been doing it that way for years.

That workaround actually solves part of the problem, thanks. I still wish that we could have a bit more user friendly method for this.
 Last edited: by Kulju
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
+1 For this request 
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantnuoyaxin
prev. known as ya_shin
Taiwan, Province of China Posts: 3,432
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The disadvantage of the current system is, that everything will be marked read when you log out. There is no way to see next time which stuff you haven't read during the last visit.

Although I agree, seeing how slow development is already, I would not consider it a priority request and prefer that the next program update is worked on instead.
Achim [諾亞信; Ya-Shin//Nuo], a German in Taiwan.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLithurge
Paralysis by analysis
Posted:
That's why I use the today's active topics part of the website, very easy to see what's actually new. Not sure what the limit is though, so it may be that some topics will get knocked off the bottom of the list on the odd occassion the forum is really active (not often).
IVS Registered: January 2, 2002
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorPistol Pete
Finland Posts: 259
Posted:
+1
Markku
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next