Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1 2 3 ...5  Previous   Next
Quoted posts should reflect edits.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
United States Posts: 6,396
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
I feel that quoted posts should reflect the edits that are subsequently applied to the post. This is the way it works on the reputation page, but not in the regular forums. There are many cases where obsolete versions of posts live on long after authors have amended the original statements.
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
United States Posts: 2,845
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
I feel that quoted posts should reflect the edits that are subsequently applied to the post.

But wouldn't that change the context of the response?  I don't think that's a good idea.

---------------
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDoubleDownAgain
I see better with 'em on
Canada Posts: 1,272
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting scotthm:
Quote:
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
I feel that quoted posts should reflect the edits that are subsequently applied to the post.

But wouldn't that change the context of the response?  I don't think that's a good idea.

---------------

Agreed! DOWN WITH MEDIADOGG AND HIS QUEST FOR CENSORSHIP!!!!!

HDTV: 52" Toshiba Regza 52XV545U  AVR: Onkyo TR-707
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 v6, CC-190 & Atom Monitors  Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 800
BD/DVD: Oppo BDP-93 (Region Free)  HD PVR: Motorola DXC3400 500GB w/ 1TB Expander
BD/DVD/Game: 250GB PS3 Slim DVD/Game: 250GB XBox 360 Elite Special Edition (Black) Game: Wii
Remote: Logitech Harmony One w/ PS3 Adapter WHS: Acer H341 Windows Home Server
 Last edited: by DoubleDownAgain
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorParsec
Australia Posts: 428
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
I feel that quoted posts should reflect the edits that are subsequently applied to the post. This is the way it works on the reputation page.......(snipped)

I don't understand this, there are no posts on the reputation page nor can you edit anything. Did I miss something?

Btw, I think you would be better off having particular phrases and words added to the content filter of this forum software's settings. I am sure it would have the ability. That would be a lot easier then having people edit their posts, and the quoted replies, if something needs to be cleaned up.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDoubleDownAgain
I see better with 'em on
Canada Posts: 1,272
Posted:
Quoting Parsec:
Quote:
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
I feel that quoted posts should reflect the edits that are subsequently applied to the post. This is the way it works on the reputation page.......(snipped)

I don't understand this, there are no posts on the reputation page nor can you edit anything. Did I miss something?

Btw, I think you would be better off having particular phrases and words added to the content filter of this forum software's settings. I am sure it would have the ability. That would be a lot easier then having people edit their posts, and the quoted replies, if something needs to be cleaned up.

Agreed.  I think MediaDogg was just suggesting that any words in a quote that might be offensive be fixed in any subsequent quotes.
HDTV: 52" Toshiba Regza 52XV545U  AVR: Onkyo TR-707
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 v6, CC-190 & Atom Monitors  Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 800
BD/DVD: Oppo BDP-93 (Region Free)  HD PVR: Motorola DXC3400 500GB w/ 1TB Expander
BD/DVD/Game: 250GB PS3 Slim DVD/Game: 250GB XBox 360 Elite Special Edition (Black) Game: Wii
Remote: Logitech Harmony One w/ PS3 Adapter WHS: Acer H341 Windows Home Server
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
United States Posts: 17,308
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Yeah... while I can see where the suggestion is coming from.... I don't think it is a very good idea.
Pete
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
There are posts on the reputation page. Look again (Edit - you have to click on the link). And if those posts are edited, the edits are reflected. Try it - I'll give out some greenies so you can see for yourself.

Notwithstanding the kneejerk reaction some made about my presumed desire for censorship, this has actually been one of my hot buttons for a long time. It was just recently rekindled.

It really annoys me when people quote long sections of technical info that is subject to change. They might point out an error, or ask for clarification. That's why authors are allowed to update posts in the plugins section (by request). But the old, obsolete and sometimes incorrect information lives on in infamy, inside quotes. You notice I usually write "please do not qoute this post" for that very reason.

Edit: also think about what happens if a moderator removes a post - I disppears from everywhere. The good bits get thrown out with the bad. This way, an author could have second thoughts and have the revised intentions live on.

To restate what I am really getting at, is that quoted posts should reflect what the author has said, even as modified. You only have a small window, and only the author can do it. If an author chooses to modify a post, why should the old versions live on forever? That is really my only point. Has nothing to do with censorship.
Thanks for your support.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Like I said...I understand (and know what you mean on the reputation... as I always found it weird) what you are getting at... I just don't really agree with you. I personally think it should remain the way it is now... and our quotes actually show exactly what we were replying to when we replied.
Pete
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
Wouldn't it be ironic if the weird (in your view) behavior of the reputation links to posts was changed to be consistent with the Forums?   

That would teach me to keep my trap shut!

Anyways, I guess we beat this poor horse enough ...
Thanks for your support.
Posted:
I somehow doubt it! 
Pete
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorDJ Doena
Germany Posts: 6,737
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The problem is accountability. It's not so much a problem here on Invelos where political discussions are disallowed (but even contribution discussions can get heated) but it's certainly a problem on other forums.

When I quote someone I often reduce it to the necessary. I don't do it to misquote the other guy (but I have to admit, quoting has been used for that, too - on and off the internet) but to simply carve out his/her central point (question or statement) and respond to that.

I've also seen people editing their original post after a while claiming they never wrote what they were accused of having written. That's why most forum software have an edit marker and some even a post history (like on Wikipedia).
If you allow people to modifiy tehir own post and indirectly alter all posts that replied to that, you open a very dangerous door.
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
Well I guess Addicted2DVD was correct. I just have to comment on DJ's post.

I agree with the notion of accountability and I also really like the idea of carving out the least part of the quote to focus the discussion. In fact, I often try to avoid quoting altogether - just as in this post.

But what happens to me, and I'm sure to others, is that I am often persuaded by somebody that my original point was wrong, or my attitude or whatever should have been different. At those times, when the edit window is still open, I sometimes go back and modify my original post to reflect that I changed my mind or to apologize or whatever.

I am not advocating for unlimited editing. There is already an edit window today. All I'm saying is that, if the author makes a legal edit, what is the point of propagating the original post, which no longer reflects the author's (public) point of view?

Goodness knows, if my wife and all my friends and family held me forever accountable for a misspoken word, or didn't allow me to change my mind or opinion, or constantly reminded me of past mistakes, it would be very uncomfortable.
Thanks for your support.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
United States Posts: 2,845
Posted:
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
All I'm saying is that, if the author makes a legal edit, what is the point of propagating the original post, which no longer reflects the author's (public) point of view?

It allows us to see the author's (real) point of view.

---------------
Posted:
I for one never edit my original post if I change my mind on something or want to apologize for something. Those such things always come in new posts.

I think part of the reason I don't like the whole idea is that I am the type of person that goes back and reads old threads when I am bored. Matter of fact just yesterday I was reading threads back from 2007 when Invelos first opened the forums. And there was more then once where the original (or one of the) post(s) was edited or completely removed. Making the thread pretty much unreadable. More then once I was wondering what a post was replying to. And I was always thankful when I saw that someone quoted the post that was changed or missing bringing sense back to the thread I was reading. If the quotes did what you are asking for those threads would have been ruined and lost forever.
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
I feel that quoted posts should NOT!!!! reflect the edits that are subsequently applied to the post.

Really?  That's a horrible idea.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
@Mark, Any dimwit can edit another person's quote, or fabricate one, in order to misrepresent what they said, even in the system we have today, with no changes, and regardless of whether the fraud is propagated, it can simply be repeated. This is NOT what I was talking about.

@Addicted2DVD, you make the most persuasive argument so far. I think, I will try to adopt a similar approach. Rather than edit a post to change my view, I can quote myself and then state how it changed. I kind of like that approach, because the old and new views travel together.

As for technical information, there is no good solution, other than something like a Wiki.
Thanks for your support.
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1 2 3 ...5  Previous   Next