Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
Looking for a cheap remote
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLJG
United States Posts: 950
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
A couple days ago, my TV remote stopped working. Luckily, I still can use my Directv remote to turn it on and off but I find that I miss the sleep button on the old one as it's in my bedroom and I fall asleep to it. It's the only button I use regularly and the only thing I really need on a new remote, otherwise, I'd just stick with the Directv one.

Can anyone recommend a good cheap universal remote? The TV I need it for is a Memorex. I found this on Amazon but am hoping that someone can recommend one that I could get in a store so I can get it sooner. (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Radio Shack are my options).

Thanks!
Lori
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorwidescreenforever
Under A Double DoubleW
Canada Posts: 5,481
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
(apart from new battery's).,,,  Have you tried to pry open the remote and clean all the contact points..?

Sometimes there may be a rubber mat  inside that can be cleaned with hot water  and the contact points can then be accessed and cleaned with an alcohol dipped cotton swabs .....

Try and Google search the make of your remote you may be lucky to find a replacement ..

MOST universal remotes don' t do all the commands-  including the sleep button- 
usually just channel / volume / display and video input .
In the 60's, People took Acid to make the world Weird. Now the World is weird and People take Prozac to make it Normal.

Terry
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting widescreenforever:
Quote:
MOST universal remotes don' t do all the commands-  including the sleep button- 
usually just channel / volume / display and video input .

This is especially correct for the cheap ones.

Another idea would be to contact Memorex (Tel: 1-800-379-8439) and ask them what an original remote would cost.
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorVirusPil
uncredited
Germany Posts: 3,087
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
"One for all" is something I could recommend:
http://www.oneforall.com/?switch=true
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBlair
Resistance is Futile!
United States Posts: 1,249
Posted:
For a while I used a One-for-All model that I bought at WalMart for one of my TVs. It wasn't 100% functional (I doubt any of them are for all models) but accessed everything that I needed including the menu items.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

He who MUST get the last word in on a pointless, endless argument doesn't win. It makes him the bigger jerk.
 Last edited: by Blair
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks guys,

I did try looking for my exact remote, costs in the the $30 range which is more than I'm willing to pay for just the one function that I need. I did try the batteries; that was the first thing I tried, no go.

The "one for all" looks pretty cool but probably more than I need for this TV! I've been tempted to get the remote wand but somehow I don't think it has a sleep function either.

I never thought about calling Memorex themselves. I'll have to try that and see if it works. Thanks for the phone number!
Lori
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorVirusPil
uncredited
Germany Posts: 3,087
Posted:
Quoting Blair:
Quote:
For a while I used a One-for-All model that I bought at WalMart for one of my TVs. It wasn't 100% functional (I doubt any of them are for all models) but accessed everything that I needed including the menu items.

Same here. Mine has a learning function, to get those missing functions added, but this just works if you still have original remote. (Never tried it. .... Let's say I was too lazy) If I remmber correct, you can also add functions with number codes, but I'm not sure about this.

@ LJG: You might be correct, it could be "too much", but I could imagine a better chance to get many functions working than on the really cheap universal remotes. (the small ones (e.g.) are not much more expensive)

... Good luck.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorwidescreenforever
Under A Double DoubleW
Canada Posts: 5,481
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
another trick is to remove the batterys  and then individually one at a time press each and every button on the remote to remove any ...'''  cache"" ?  I know it sounds crazy but it has been known to work .. on a remote that doesn't give you all commands on all buttons ..
In the 60's, People took Acid to make the world Weird. Now the World is weird and People take Prozac to make it Normal.

Terry
Posted:
I haven't called the company yet, but I did try the push button idea and I tried cleaning with alcohol. Unfortunately, neither idea worked. I did run into town and while I didn't see a One-for-all, ended up getting a RCA one. Says it works on my brand and has the sleep button. Haven't tried it yet, but I should be able to return it if it doesn't work and I'll end up buying one on-line.

@VirusPil: Thanks for the link, I've saved it down in case the one I got doesn't work. Looks like it has codes too, so I wouldn't have to have my original remote.

At this point, the remote completely doesn't work, so I wouldn't be able to "teach" another remote that function. It worked one night just fine, and the next-nothing.

The really annoying part for me, is that my satellite remote works just fine for everything except the sleep function which is what I really miss. So I'm doing all this just for one button which is a big reason I'm trying to go cheap, plus, I just don't have a lot of extra cash right now to go fancy.

Thanks for all the help so far and any other ideas/suggestions would be great.
Lori
Posted:
Well, I think I found one that works. I tried out that RCA remote and it seems to be working. Yay! Have my sleep function back. lol. I was worried about it not fully working, but so far so good.

Thanks for all the help! Good to have some options.
Lori
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next