Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
Bootlegs
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorschultzy
Xbox Live: squeekyfoot
United States Posts: 550
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I was hoping that since the database had to be more or less recreated that less bootlegs would make it in.  I have already noticed stuff from RedSunDVD coming in.  I mistakely added one and have requeted it be deleted from the database.  I would like to create a list of known distrutors that distribute grey market or bootleg DVDs so people can see it and know before they by what they are buying and if they get a movie they have a question about if it is legit they can refer to the list before decided to contribute said movie.

The list:
Red Sun DVD
Schultzy - http://www.michaelschultz.net
grenactics - The art of skillfully fraggin one’s opponent with the use of grenades or other compact explosive devices that are thrown by hand or projected.
 Last edited: by schultzy
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantPeter von Frosta
Germany Posts: 452
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Are you sure it's a good idea to create a list of bootleg shops?
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Peter von Frosta:
Quote:
Are you sure it's a good idea to create a list of bootleg shops?

It could go two ways. 
1) Educate and make people aware of what they are buying.  Also when they buy something they know not to contribute it to the database.
2) Let's them know where they can buy bootleg DVDs which is their choice and on them.

I am just trying to help prevent them from ending up in the database.  If no one else cares, then no one else will add to the list.  I have a good chunk of boots because when I bought them I didn't know better because you won't find anything on the websites saying they are selling bootlegs.  Heck, there is an anime shop in my local mall that sells bootlegs.  I have been slowly replacing them with legit copies and try to be careful not to contribute them.
grenactics - The art of skillfully fraggin one’s opponent with the use of grenades or other compact explosive devices that are thrown by hand or projected.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Bootlegs are illegal, period. they are not to be in the database period. Also setting up a list of bootleg shops so, as you put it "Let's them know where they can buy bootleg DVDs which is their choice and on them. " could conceivably make Invelos and its user community accessory to a crime....bad idea.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
Bootlegs must stay out of the online database.  You are of course welcome to continue adding them to your local collection.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,198
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
If posting a list of distributors here isn't ideal, maybe we can come up with a list that we can give to Ken.  With that list, he might be able to design a filter that automatically declines contributions that contain those distributors.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
 Last edited: by TheMadMartian
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Bootlegs are illegal, period. they are not to be in the database period. Also setting up a list of bootleg shops so, as you put it "Let's them know where they can buy bootleg DVDs which is their choice and on them. " could conceivably make Invelos and its user community accessory to a crime....bad idea.

Dude, I think his intention was to prevent anyone from accidental buying boots and contributing those discs.
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Now there's a thought. Good idea, Unicus

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Might have been his intent, Peter, unfortunately those that deal in the legalities of this stuff don't deal in intent.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
Posted:
Quoting Unicus69:
Quote:
If posting a list of distributors here isn't idea, maybe we can come up with a list that we can give to Ken.  With that list, he might be able to design a filter that automatically declines contributions that contain those distributors.

I was actaully going to request that. If studio field = red sun dvd then reject or something like that.  But with those, I would almost like to see a reply stating something like "reject known bootleg distributor".  I wasn't trying to make a list of places to buy bootlegs (that's called ebay) but of distributors that make the bootlegs available (they are not always one in the same).
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsnarbo
United Kingdom Posts: 1,242
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Unicus69:
Quote:
If posting a list of distributors here isn't ideal, maybe we can come up with a list that we can give to Ken.  With that list, he might be able to design a filter that automatically declines contributions that contain those distributors.

I'll second that...Oh wait a minute Skip's already done that, I'll third it.

Steve
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Might have been his intent, Peter, unfortunately those that deal in the legalities of this stuff don't deal in intent.

Skip

I understand that.  But creating something that states "The following have been known to distribute bootleg and/or illegal media and should not be contributed to the database" and then listing just names as an example is within Invelos rights to say DVDs distributed by the following companies are not to be contributed.  I am not talkign about a list of places that sells them, but a list of people that make the copies because lots of them like to add their names to the package, like Red Sun DVD.

Don't be discommodious
Posted:
THAT might work, schultzy. but that's Ken's call. I sit here and watch for potential problems.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAssassin
Germany Posts: 122
Posted:
We should make a list with the bootleg titles/upcs so the admins can delete them from the database.
Posted:
Quoting Assassin:
Quote:
We should make a list with the bootleg titles/upcs so the admins can delete them from the database.

I already submitted three for delete.  The problem I have and part of the reason I started this topic is because I have some that are questionable.  Like is Unit World Movie Inc a legal distributor?  And I know someone if going to reply says boots are easy to spot and that is not always true.
Posted:
Schultzy, this is not a bootleg:
http://www.petershop.com/en/catalogue/videodvd/timur-bekmambetov/nochnoy-dozor-2.html

This is a legit release! Please withdraw your contribution or present some proof on this.
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next