Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1  Previous   Next
DO NOT PERFORM A DATABASE REPAIR
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorGadgeteer
United Kingdom Posts: 519
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
As has been previously mentioned on another post, carrying out a database repair messes up the crew listings in your local database.

I have tried repairing the data in 2.5 before restore/backup but everytime, without fail, the repair muddles the crew listing on many of my profiles.

Perhaps it would be wise to have an announcement warning users until a fix is ready.

Edit:    I should have posted this in the Tech Support Forum. Please feel free to move it.
Stuart
 Last edited: by Gadgeteer
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeGerri Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 524
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Are you repairing in 2.5 or 3.0?

Can you tell me the exact steps you are taking?

Thanks - appreciate the help in tracking it down,

-Gerri
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Moving this topic to the appropriate forum.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I repaired in 3.0 and acquired this problem. 

Link to other thread.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
At this point I'm keeping 2.4 up to date along with 3.0.  I still see 3.0 as a beta product and I'm not making any radical changes (editing profiles, download new profiles, etc) at this point.  Had this situation been different, I doubt that Ken would have released this as a general release.  Still, I'm sure the bugs will be worked out soon enough.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but if I need to reimport my old database, I don't want to loose tons of work on the new one when I dump it.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
Posted:
The repair in 3.0 causes the problem
Stuart
Posted:
After a bit of experimentation I have found that the problem doesn't occur unless you've updated your database from the online database.
Stuart
 Last edited: by Gadgeteer
tonight's the night...
Posted:
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
At this point I'm keeping 2.4 up to date along with 3.0.  I still see 3.0 as a beta product and I'm not making any radical changes (editing profiles, download new profiles, etc) at this point.

I'm keeping 2.5 current with 3.0 for the same reason. I'm trying to do in 3.0 all of the things I would do in 2.5 so we can find these things.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
tonight's the night...
Posted:
Quoting Stuart:
Quote:
After a bit of experimentation I have found that the problem doesn't occur unless you've updated your profiles from the online database.

True for me. I did that before I ran the repair.
...James

DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorJykke
Finland Posts: 413
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
I have following findings:

- I first made backup in 2.5
- restored in 3.0
- when I noticed some problems with the cast list in some profiles (cast list doubled or tripled), I made a partial restore from the 2.5 backup
- then I run database repair
- after the repair, the crew list of several profiles were messed (not those which were restored in the partial restore)

I tried that again in a test database. If you make a partial restore from 2.5 backup and then use the repair utility, the crew lists get out of order. Many crew member names are replaced with the last name from the cast list. In addition the repair utility deletes the crew member names totally from the database. Before the repair, the profiles seem to be in order.

When I made a partial restore from 3.0 backup, that did not happen.

Jykke..
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgardibolt
digitally Obsessed
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
That was the same error as cropped up in an earlier version of Profiler, where the last cast member would end up in the director slot, so Ken should be able to fix that pretty readily, if it's not already fixed in 3.0.1.
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantMarcCastermans
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Can Ken or Gerri please confirm wether this is solved in 3.0.1 please?
Greetz,
Marc Castermans

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbob9000
safety word?
Canada Posts: 844
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Seems to be...I have used the tool (after backing up of course  ) a couple times now and had no trouble.
 Last edited: by bob9000
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1  Previous   Next