Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Plugins Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
Anyone fancy making a screensaver plugin?
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantMarEll
United Kingdom Posts: 1,208
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Could any of you plugin wizards tell me if it's at all possible to create a plugin for profiler that would display the front images of all/certain profiles as a screensaver.  I've copied all the front covers into a separate folder and told the built in slideshow screensaver to display those but everytime I add new dvds I'd have to copy them all again.  And it would be great if parameters could be set so that only certain covers showed, e.g. unwatched movies only.

So is this possible?  Or am I just p****ng into the wind? 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorMithi
Sushi Annihilator
Germany Posts: 2,216
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Well, showing just the front-cover is easy, see this posting

Only the unwatched would be a bit more work, maybe an added functionality to the Database Query Plugin? 8)

cya, Mithi
Mithi's little XSLT tinkering - the power of XML --- DVD-Profiler Mini-Wiki
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorDJ Doena
Germany Posts: 6,738
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Download this screensaver:

http://doena-soft.de/dvdprofiler/screensaver/DVDProfilerScreenSaver.zip

Unzip it and edit the settings.xml. There you can set the interval and the selection of files you want to see - currently it is set to show the front covers of UPC and manual profiles, not of DiscID profiles.

Then you copy both files to the windows\system32 directory and activate it the usual way.
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

Last edited: by DJ Doena
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks Mithi, Karsten.

DJ, your screensaver works perfectly as does the one in your post Mith, thanksi.  It's justa a shame there is no way of filtering out everything but unwatched movies.
Posted:
The problem is that a screensaver is a program running independently from DVDProfiler which is started by the operating system. A plugin is running in the context (and process) of DVD Profiler.

Such a screensaver would need access to the DVDP database after it has been started. It would be possible to design it as a two-part application (one runs as plugin and serves as "host" and one os the screensaver client) with an inter-process communication, but that's quite a bit of work.

Another possibility would be write a secondary program that scans the database and creates a settings file for my screensaver but that would create a "snapshot" of the collection and would have to be done regularily.
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
... or scan the XML export.
Sushi Annihilator
Posted:
Quoting DJ Doena:
Quote:
Another possibility would be write a secondary program that scans the database and creates a settings file for my screensaver but that would create a "snapshot" of the collection and would have to be done regularily.

That would call for a plugin ... 

cya, Mithi
Sushi Annihilator
Posted:
Quoting MarEll:
Quote:
It's justa a shame there is no way of filtering out everything but unwatched movies.

There is one, it's just a bit steep

I have a XSL that builds a batch-file, which then copies the covers to a folder. And it also deletes the covers of recently watched titles. Two small problems: you have to have a xsl processor to do so (see signature) and my xsl creates a batch written for a unix-based system (Cygwin), so someone would have to "translate" that to DOS.

The whole process is then done by a batch-file
Quote:
xsltproc.exe covermover-ungesehen.xsl collection.xml > temp.sh
./temp.sh
rm temp.sh

XSL: covermover-unwatched.xsl.txt
 Last edited: by Mithi
Posted:
Quoting Mithi:
Quote:
Quoting DJ Doena:
Quote:

That would call for a plugin ... 

cya, Mithi

Yeah, but I was never a good plugin writer, I never really liked the API. My programs are all based on the xml export.
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributormdnitoil
United States Posts: 1,777
Posted:
Quoting DJ Doena:
Quote:
Download this screensaver:

http://home.arcor.de/djdoena/upload/screensaver/DVDProfilerScreenSaver.zip

Unzip it and edit the settings.xml. There you can set the interval and the selection of files you want to see - currently it is set to show the front covers of UPC and manual profiles, not of DiscID profiles.

Then you copy both files to the windows\system32 directory and activate it the usual way.

I've got to say, I gave this a try today and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  The only downside has been noticing which scans need to be redone!
Posted:
Here's the source if anyone wants to make modifications:

http://doena-soft.de/dvdprofiler/screensaver/DVDProfilerScreenSaver_src.zip

And here's a samll program that lets you create a settings file for your owned collection, you only need the exported XML and the path to your images and then it will save a settings.xml into your windows\system32 folder:

http://doena-soft.de/dvdprofiler/screensaver/CreateScreenSaverSettings.zip

Also with source code if someone wants to modify it to filter for unwatched entries:

http://doena-soft.de/dvdprofiler/screensaver/CreateScreenSaverSettings_src.zip
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

Posted:
Thats way over my level of understanding, how would I go about editing that to show only unwatched entries?  Or ones with a certain tag if thats even possible?

Thanks for posting though.
Posted:
Quoting MarEll:
Quote:
Thats way over my level of understanding, how would I go about editing that to show only unwatched entries?  Or ones with a certain tag if thats even possible?

Thanks for posting though.

OK, expanded the program a bit. Now you've got the following options:

/Owned
/Owned=true
/Owned=false

(default=false)
if set or set to true, only profiles from the owned collection will be used

/DiscIDs
/DiscIDs=true
/DiscIDs=false

(default=true)
if set or set to true, DiscID profiles will be included, if set to false only manual or UPC profiles

/Tag=<your tag>
if set, only profiles with that tag will be included

/Watched=<your username>
if set, only profiles with a watched event with that user name will be included

/Unwatched=<your username>
if set, only profiles that have not a watched event with that user name will be inluded

And now some parameters to circumvent the file selection dialogs

/CollectionFile
path and file name of your exported collection

/ImagesPath
path to your images folder in your database folder

/SettingsFile
path and file name of your settings file in the windows\system32 folder

And finally for debugging reasons:

/Verbose
/Verbose=true
/Verbose=false

(default=false)
if set or set to true, the program will tell you why it didn't include a profile in the list

For example, my start parameters look like this:

CreateScreenSaverSettings.exe
  /owned
  /unwatched="DJ Doena"
  /tag="never seen"
  /discids=false
  /collectionfile="d:\xampp\phpdvdprofiler\collection.xml"
  /imagespath="d:\files\dvd profiler\databases\dj doena\images"
  /settingsfile="%windir%\system32\settings.xml"
  /verbose

Download for exe and source is same as above.
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
United States Posts: 6,402
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Nice work. Hope you get additional greenies to help you zoom up the charts!
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
Posted:
It doesn't seem to be showing unwatched titles for me.  It show titles with certain tag (cheers for that) but it seems to be ignoring the watched satus.

Thanks for all the time you've put into this! 
 Last edited: by MarEll
Posted:
Can you activate the verbose mode and look what he says about titles you know to be missing?

What's the name you are using in DVD Profiler for your watched status? Are you using first and last name? Maybe I am doing something wrong there.

Could you send me a (small) collection.xml with profiles that he ignores and your start parameters to karsten @ yajirobi . de? Thx.

Edith says I had a copy&paste error in the code. Could you download it again and if it doesn't work send me the above info? Thx again
Karsten
DVD Collectors Online

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Plugins Page: 1 2  Previous   Next