Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 3 4 5  Previous   Next
Discussion on International titles vs. Original title for the Main Title field for Asian Films
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantxradman
United States Posts: 1,328
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Just as a curiosity, I have 2 questions.

1. Is there anyone in this thread who is Asian or fluent in Asian writing?
2. Was there any Asian or anyone fluent in Asian in the rules committee that came up with the current version of the rules?

I am not asking this to be inflammatory, but there are differences between supporting European foreign language vs. foreign language that uses non-roman alphabets, and perhaps that difference is causing such differences of opinion.  From my point of view, romanized Korean is no better than officially sanctioned international title, but perhaps from western foreigner's point of view, original title may be more important since it's an exact title.
My Home Theater
 Last edited: by xradman
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting xradman:
Quote:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Xradman:

The DVD Region Map I was dealing with was hard to decipher, but Region 3, Region 5 doesn't change the concept.

Then look to your self and how you come across. I was explaining to me how your posts have struck and I said if I have misjudged you I apologize. But that is how you are striking me. It is not for Americans to learn Korean so that they can talk to you as I noted in my analogy, and DVDProfiler is no different. You are purchasing, evidently other Region films and wanting to apply thoise standards to Region 1 data. Like I said that is just wrong-headed thinking. You CAN do what you want locally, do that and be happy.

Skip

Skip,

I still don't think you are straight about this. Either that or your words are not conveying what your brain is thinking. I never said anything about modifying Region 1 data.

For the last time, I know I can do what I want locally. I'll tell you what. I'll tell you a secret. There is a small number of users who are doing just that. If you want Korean, Chinese, Japanese or any other language that is not supported by traditional roman alphabets, all you have to do is to set your language region for non-unicode programs to whatever language you want in the regional setting option in the Windows control panel. Once you do that, you can enter anything in any field in DVDP in Korean, Chinese, Japanese, or whatever you set your language to. You can have exact titles, names, notes,etc. Only downside is that no one else who isn't using your language locality can make sense of your data.  This would be a perfect solution for those who demand perfect accuracy in their DVD profile.

Am I advocating such drastic measures? No. I don't think it's good for the community to be so exclusive. Rather than saying that's a stupid idea, please suggest other options to be more inclusive.

If you are wanting support for Asian characters(alphabet), I am all for it, even though I can't read it.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorschultzy
Xbox Live: squeekyfoot
United States Posts: 550
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting xradman:
Quote:
Quoting schultzy:
Quote:
By romanized version, you are not referring to phonetic?  So in let's say japanese has the word "dog" in it, inu.  You would put "inu" in the title and not something like "dogu".

Also, maybe I missed this, but from what I am getting most are talking about how it shows up on the cover, but the rules say use what is used in the credits.  So what about when the credits show two titles.  Bayside Shakedown 2 international release says that on the cover.  But in the credits is shows Odoru daisousasen 2 and then changes to Bayside Shakedown 2.  So right now it is in the database as Odoru daisousasen 2 (Bayside Shakedown 2) because that is what is showed in the credits.

(which reminds me that I need to submit new scans)

Is this R2 Japan DVD or DVD for a different region?  If it's a non-Japan DVD, then Bayside Shakedown 2 would be the correct main title for this DVD with Odoru daisousasen 2 as the original title. I don't think it matters what it says on the screen in this instance.

It is Region 2 though I think it was meant for release in Europe as well as Japan because they are both Region 2.  I bought it from a DVD shop in Toyko while I lived there though.  Not that it matters.  Though Japanese movies can be confusing because they like to use English in titles or display both to grab attantion because the younger generations in Japan love anything that is American or appears that way.
Schultzy - http://www.michaelschultz.net
grenactics - The art of skillfully fraggin one’s opponent with the use of grenades or other compact explosive devices that are thrown by hand or projected.
 Last edited: by schultzy
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLithurge
Paralysis by analysis
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting schultzy:
Quote:

It is Region 2 though I think it was meant for release in Europe as well as Japan because they are both Region 2. 

But don't forget R2 Japan is NTSC and Europe is PAL (or SECAM in France). Although most TV's/DVD players in the UK are capable of playing both it's not guaranteed.
IVS Registered: January 2, 2002
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorschultzy
Xbox Live: squeekyfoot
United States Posts: 550
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Lithurge:
Quote:
Quoting schultzy:
Quote:

It is Region 2 though I think it was meant for release in Europe as well as Japan because they are both Region 2. 

But don't forget R2 Japan is NTSC and Europe is PAL (or SECAM in France). Although most TV's/DVD players in the UK are capable of playing both it's not guaranteed.

True and this is NTSC
Schultzy - http://www.michaelschultz.net
grenactics - The art of skillfully fraggin one’s opponent with the use of grenades or other compact explosive devices that are thrown by hand or projected.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantnuoyaxin
prev. known as ya_shin
Taiwan, Province of China Posts: 3,432
Posted:
Quoting xradman:
Quote:
2. Was there any Asian or anyone fluent is Asian in the rules committee that came up with the current version of the rules?

1. Not sure. I know in the old forum there was a few...
2. No.
Achim [諾亞信; Ya-Shin//Nuo], a German in Taiwan.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantxradman
United States Posts: 1,328
Posted:
Quoting ya_shin:
Quote:
Quoting xradman:
Quote:
2. Was there any Asian or anyone fluent is Asian in the rules committee that came up with the current version of the rules?

1. Not sure. I know in the old forum there was a few...
2. No.

Thank you. That was informative.
My Home Theater
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 3 4 5  Previous   Next