Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 4 5 6  Previous   Next
Discussion on Credited As Field Part 2 (Locked)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collection
Due to a couple of comments i havve seen here. Anyone who has been doing this for awhile can easily detremine the inaccuracy of IMDb. If you think that IMDb is so wonderful and accurate, then please go use it you can catalog 10,000 titles for free. Mikkel you go correct IMDb, I use Profiler. If I wanted a clone of it I wouldn't have to try and turn another program into it, I could just go use the real thing.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributormikl
Mark it zero!
Denmark Posts: 235
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collection
I'm not saying we should clone IMDb, they have different purposes and it's not what the discussion is about. I just protest bc you blame IMDb for being inaccurate, when DVDP is equally inaccurate in many ways.

Using IMDb as a source for name consistency is fine (accurate or not) and IMO the best option. Actor homepages are not good. How do you find the home page for the guy who "Cop #2" in a B-movie from the 80's? I don't think we should turn the work of updating the profiles into private detective work. Keep it simple.

/Mikkel
DVD Profiler på Dansk
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantonebyone
Posted:
I think we should use the DVD for the actor's name in any given movie, but IMDb is a good source for what name the actor is most known for.  There are exceptions, but there are exceptions to every last thing, so that shouldn't discount IMDb for this limited purpose.  Besides, a lot of these are common sense and really shouldn't cause too much drama.

If there is a mass problem or a big disagreement over someone, we can always punch it out and offer new evidence or whatever over here.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
PM this user
Recapping so far (I may have missed a vote or two it they didn't use the format James started on page one (or a similar format).

Quoting Gerri Cole:
Quote:
Possible Source Suggestions:
1. Use IMDB as the source.
2. Use IMDB as a guide, allowing for debates on these forums on particular actors.
3. Actor's own website
4. Screen Caps/Time Stamps

General Rules (not a source):
1. No accents
2. Double quotes for nicknames in the middle name field
3. no commas after suffixes
4. periods after all suffixes
5. Middle initial should have a period after it.
6. Comma after the surname when there is a suffix

-Gerri

YES (or OK) = 11    NO = 2    MAYBE = 2 

2. Use IMDB as a guide, allowing for debates on these forums on particular actors.
YES (or OK) = 11    NO = 2    MAYBE =  1

3. Actor's own website
YES  = 4    NO = 0    MAYBE = 9 (most here said yes IF it was the actors' site and not a fans OR was needed to help in a deadlock, etc. ) 

YES  = 1    NO = 10 (a lot wondered why and or how this would ID a common name)    MAYBE = 1 

too much confusion for me to tabulate. Someone feel free

Based on these early results we really need Gerri or Ken to say yes or no to using the IMDb. The majority of people who have expressed their opinion would like to see that as the source in one way or another
 Last edited: by lyonsden5
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
I have suggested that using IMDb as a source with some modifications, such as using commas and periods to break linkage to IMDb, but instead what I am seeing no I don't want to do that I am too lazy, I want a clone. Some of you have said that they can't copyright name data or fomat, You don't understand the predatory nature of some businesses, you are correct they probabbly can't or at least they wouldn't prevail ion court but they have very deep pockets, there is NOTHING thta prevents them from filing suit ANYWAY and forcing Invelos to spend money on attorneys to defend themselves...money that I would prefer they spend on us.

I am not being unreasonable, using them as a starting point (with minor modifications), I agreed with. Now let's see who else can be reasonable and stop talking becoming a clone.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
 Last edited: by Winston Smith
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Quoting lyonsden5:
Quote:
Recapping so far (I may have missed a vote or two it they didn't use the format James started on page one (or a similar format).

Quoting Gerri Cole:
Quote:
3. Actor's own website

1. No accents
2. Double quotes for nicknames in the middle name field
3. no commas after suffixes
4. periods after all suffixes
5. Middle initial should have a period after it.
6. Comma after the surname when there is a suffix

-Gerri

YES (or OK) = 11    NO = 2    MAYBE = 2 

YES (or OK) = 11    NO = 2    MAYBE =  1

3. Actor's own website
YES  = 4    NO = 0    MAYBE = 9 (most here said yes IF it was the actors' site and not a fans OR was needed to help in a deadlock, etc. ) 

YES  = 1    NO = 10 (a lot wondered why and or how this would ID a common name)    MAYBE = 1 

too much confusion for me to tabulate. Someone feel free

Based on these early results we really need Gerri or Ken to say yes or no to using the IMDb. The majority of people who have expressed their opinion would like to see that as the source in one way or another

Awwwwww come on, Rick. This is only 6 pages, you've dealt with bigger. 

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantchibul
formerly abrg923
United States Posts: 462
Posted:
Skip, are you even listening? NOBODY is saying to use it as a clone. The theme all along has been to use it as a STARTING POINT. That's it.

Again, it doesn't matter at all - until Ken or Gerri gives us the green or red flag, we're stuck. This issue can't be resolved until that time. Hopefully one of them checks in here soon.
"I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow?

No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose…
Rapture."
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLopek
Lovely day for a...
United Kingdom Posts: 813
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collection
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
I have suggested that using IMDb as a source with some modifications, such as using commas and periods to break linkage to IMDb, but instead what I am seeing no I don't want to do that I am too lazy, I want a clone. Some of you have said that they can't copyright name data or fomat, You don't understand the predatory nature of some businesses, you are correct they probabbly can't or at least they wouldn't prevail ion court but they have very deep pockets, there is NOTHING thta prevents them from filing suit ANYWAY and forcing Invelos to spend money on attorneys to defend themselves...money that I would prefer they spend on us.

I am not being unreasonable, using them as a starting point (with minor modifications), I agreed with. Now let's see who else can be reasonable and stop talking becoming a clone.

Skip

How does having stated rules saying "use IMDb data, but change remove these commas and replace single quotes with double quotes etc." make it any less IMDb data? 
And ultimately, as has been said numerous times, the legal implications are not your concern - they are for Ken and Gerri to worry about. If they are happy to use IMDb as a source for the common names then it is fine... no matter what you have to say. Let them make the decision.

The key for us is the practicality of using them as a common name. IMDb is a reference source - we would be using it as a reference, nothing more. It is what it is designed for. Very different from the wholesale scraping of their entire data, so the paranoia is even more misplaced then usual.
Andy

"Credited as" Names Database
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
As I told, rick. Who are YOU to tell me what to worry about it. MYOB. IF Ken says to use IMDb as a base for this, then that's it. In the meantime, I may well have seen something that he may have overlooked. So like I said, don't you dare try to dictate to me anything.

You have absolutely no concept of just how predatory IMDb's parent company is or how many companies they have closed up with what, to me, is nothing more than frivolous lawsuit, but it makes the target spend money, lots of it.

[*REMOVED*]

Skip

Edited to remove personal comment. - Ken
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
 Last edited: by Gerri Cole
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
PM this user
[* Post removed *]

Removed quote of prior removed comment - Ken
 Last edited: by Gerri Cole
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,198
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:

Nobody is talking about becoming a clone of anything.  We are talking about a source for a common name.  That argument is a great big...wait for it...wait for it...Red Herring. 

Seriously though, let's look at your proposal...

You want to modify names.  So for 'Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje' we would remove the '-' to break linkage?  I personally don't see why.  I did a google search using the name that included the '-' and came up with 258,000 references for that name.  Is IMDb going to sue every single one of those sites because they used his real name just as they did?  I highly doubt it.  But, your modification method would work...but how about a name like 'Courtney Cox'?

'Courtney Cox' is listed at IMDb as 'Courtney Cox'.  How do you propose we modify that to break linkage to IMDb?  Do we adopt Courtney Cox Arquette simply to break linkage?  I guess we could...but how about a name like 'John Wayne'?

'John Wayne' is listed at IMDb as, surprise, 'John Wayne'.  How do you propose we modify that name to break linkage?  Should we use 'Marion Morrison'?

My point is your 'reasonable' solution is not reasonable.  It only works for names that us commas, dashes, periods or some other form of punctuation.  It doesn't work for people that have 'regular' names.  If we aren't going to modify every single name, then there is no point in requiring that we modify any.

JMHO 
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:

You have absolutely no concept of just how predatory IMDb's parent company is or how many companies they have closed up with what, to me, is nothing more than frivolous lawsuit, but it makes the target spend money, lots of it.

Skip

I'm interested in this Skip.

Please provide us with the list so that we can make an informed decision.  Details of the lawsuits would be helpful, to see if they apply to what we are talking about.
Hal
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeGerri Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 524
Posted:
PM this userEmail this user
Seems like we are straying a bit off topic again.

We have a lot of good responses. Ken and I will try to post something this weekend. We appreciate everyone's input.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
  Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 4 5 6  Previous   Next