Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2 3  Previous   Next
Political Threads
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantpauls42
Reg: 31/01/2003
United Kingdom Posts: 2,692
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting FilmAlba:
Quote:
Good news from Scotland today as it seems the Westminster government is going to give the green light to new powers for the Scottish parliament.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/2009/09/17/government-moves-to-strengthen-scottish-devolution-86908-21679523/

Hopefully a good result with the independence referendum (if it happens this term) will insure a speedy hand over of corporation tax and an independent state in 10 years after.

Cut it to 20% power or economy to a new level of record growth get control of the benefits system to at last define between the disabled and the jobless work shy cheats and turn Glasgow from being the a r s e crack of Europe to one of it's most affluent.

And lot's more.

Better days ahead 

The idea of this thread was to discuss banning political threads. Not for you to hijack it with a politcal post.

Paul
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantShinyDiscGuy
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting pauls42:
Quote:
Quoting FilmAlba:
Quote:
Good news from Scotland today as it seems the Westminster government is going to give the green light to new powers for the Scottish parliament.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/2009/09/17/government-moves-to-strengthen-scottish-devolution-86908-21679523/

Hopefully a good result with the independence referendum (if it happens this term) will insure a speedy hand over of corporation tax and an independent state in 10 years after.

Cut it to 20% power or economy to a new level of record growth get control of the benefits system to at last define between the disabled and the jobless work shy cheats and turn Glasgow from being the a r s e crack of Europe to one of it's most affluent.

And lot's more.

Better days ahead 

The idea of this thread was to discuss banning political threads. Not for you to hijack it with a politcal post.

lol opps 

If most these threads are about American politics then yeah much like the politics them self they get no where.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorwidescreenforever
Under A Double DoubleW
Canada Posts: 5,481
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
This was sent to me today ..

It's a slow day in a little town in East Texas . The sun is beating down, and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody's in debt, and living on credit.

On this particular day a rich tourist from up north  is driving through town. He stops at the motel and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night.

As soon as the man walks upstairs, the owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the feed store.

The guy at the Farmer's Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler won't  suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, picks up the $100 bill, states that the rooms aren't satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything.  However, the whole town is now out of debt and looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the United States Government is conducting business today!
In the 60's, People took Acid to make the world Weird. Now the World is weird and People take Prozac to make it Normal.

Terry
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSrehtims
United States Posts: 1,796
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Today? Try decades.
I remember when people (my parents and their neighbors) would only buy a home or land on credit.
You didn't buy a car unless you could pay for it. If politicians  spent as much effort trying make government more efficient than trying figure new ways to tax. I've spent about half of my working life working on federal contracts, I thank them for the jobs but if government employees were worth a damn they would not have needed me. At meeting, some were so stupid their own people would shut them up. And they contractors just love it when they can justify extensions.

Example, when I took over the command and control program for the war games computer system at USAF SAC. The Spec was trash, no way would work or do anything for that matter. The program would have had no chance of working, We had a sharp retired colonel, I took him and we went off to a room and I went to the board and laid out, flow charted the whole thing as he explained what they wanted the system to do. It had no provisions for synchronizing the data base and input to the backup systems, so I added it. One day a came into the downtown office and didn't see anybody, I'd been out at the air base, so I ask where is everybody. The sec said they are in a meeting, they had been in a meeting all day the day before 9am to 9pm. Then a Lt. Colonel came down the hall, I ask him what was happening, he said we're trying to figure out how to sync the systems. I said hell I figured that that was kind of important and I've already added it. He ask how, I again went to a blackboard and laid it all out. It tool just a few minutes. I said that pretty good for a corporal, my rank when I was in the military. I don't think the company was to happy as they were probably dreaming of all the extrra coins they screw therm out of. I've got a hundred of stories just like that, only more so.

We use to call civil servants, Sea Gulls. Why because all they do is eat, sh.t and squawk, and are protected by the government.
We don't need stinkin' IMDB's errors, we make our own.
Ineptocracy, You got to love it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
 Last edited: by Srehtims
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting widescreenforever:
Quote:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the United States Government is conducting business today!

Not only today.
I think it started back in the 80's, but this (of course) might be, because around this time my political awareness showed up.
Probably this is strictly related to the trading of securities, stocks and bonds and not restricted to the government, but common behaviour all around the world.
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorFunkyLA
Will you remove your hat?
United Kingdom Posts: 1,136
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Warning: UK Elections have just started - whilst I know that the UK is not the major user population base for DVDP, I thought that the Moderators might want a heads up

Election is May the 6th (Yes, start of election season to end, one month)

That is all
Signature? We don't need no stinking... hang on, this has been done... blast [oooh now in Widescreen]
Ah... well you see.... I thought I'd say something more interesting... but cannot think of anything..... oh well
And to those of you who have disabled viewing of these signature files "hello" (or not) Registered: July 27, 2004
Under A Double DoubleW
Posted:
Big Elections today.. Are you ( in USA)  voting today??  Do you think  Californians will vote yes for the ref on Pot?
"If passed, the proposal, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, would permit adults over the age of 21 to be allowed one ounce (28 grams) of marijuana for personal use. Possession is currently an offence punishable by a $100 (£60) fine. Under the plan people would also be allowed to cultivate 25 square feet of marijuana plants in their gardens." ..

I think even if it passes it could never get National approval therefore it is a lost cause  or am I wrong??
In the 60's, People took Acid to make the world Weird. Now the World is weird and People take Prozac to make it Normal.

Terry
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
United States Posts: 6,396
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Checking real estate prices in remote CA .. heh heh ... get ready for some fabulous plugins!   
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSrehtims
United States Posts: 1,796
Posted:
Quote:
Big Elections today.. Are you ( in USA)  voting today??  Do you think  Californians will vote yes for the ref on Pot?
"If passed, the proposal, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, would permit adults over the age of 21 to be allowed one ounce (28 grams) of marijuana for personal use. Possession is currently an offence punishable by a $100 (£60) fine. Under the plan people would also be allowed to cultivate 25 square feet of marijuana plants in their gardens." ..

I think even if it passes it could never get National approval therefore it is a lost cause  or am I wrong??

Arizona has proposal for medical weed also, I don't remember the particulars, cause I don't care.
We don't need stinkin' IMDB's errors, we make our own.
Ineptocracy, You got to love it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
Checking real estate prices in remote CA .. heh heh ... get ready for some fabulous plugins!   

I'll come down for a visit and we can do a joint project (no pun intended!)    
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
Under A Double DoubleW
Posted:
Tonight I decided to contact my bank and ask for an extension on my credit , as well as additonal overdraft .. I then told them my hours have been cut back at work  and my paychecks are smaller..

But I need the extra monies to make my day to day payments and living expenses ... 
the Bank told me No way  &  if anything at all ( after I told them this) they are actually cutting off my checking overdraft and... are now looking at adding extra interests to my payments - as I am now a 'risk' ..

Hey No Fair I said  If the USA can ask for all this .. so should I .... 

Terry
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
Quote:

Ahhhh, but do you have (money) printing presses, guns and wheat?     

Ummm, maybe scratch the wheat - I forgot about the drought. Let's see ...

Oh, I know: "America's Got Talent" !!!
Thanks for your support.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDanae Cassandra
United States Posts: 2,877
Posted:
Wood for sheep?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield
Under A Double DoubleW
Posted:
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhh, but do you have (money) printing presses, guns and wheat?     

Ummm, maybe scratch the wheat - I forgot about the drought. Let's see ...

Oh, I know: "America's Got Talent" !!!

No..  but I got a Kickass Movie collection..... 

Terry
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Posted:
Quote:
No..  but I got a Kickass Movie collection..... 

Hey now! Well that's all that matters around these parts! 
Thanks for your support.
    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2 3  Previous   Next