Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Layouts and Reports Page: 1  Previous   Next
How do I modify a downloaded layout?
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantdonnieandkrista
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I used to do this with 2.x versions of DVDP to get it just the way I wanted it, but now everything is all different. Is it still possible? I can't even find the files!

2nd question - is there a "getting started" guide for layouts somewhere? I would've expected to find it in a sticky at the top of this forum...
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributor?
?
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
from the dvd profiler menu:
  • View
  • HTML Windows
  • Edit

• from there you can import from the menu File either a
  • 3.x layout
  • 2.x Skin
  • Sources for one or more of the changes and/or additions were not submitted. Please include the sources for your changes in the contribution notes, especially for cast and crew additions.
     Last edited: by ?
    Posted:
    PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, what I'm seeing when I load the profile that I want to modify does not seem to match the code that I see when I follow your instructions.
    DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRossRoy
    Posted:
    PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
    The layouts for DVD Profiler 3 were completely revampled.

Where in DVD Profiler 2 you had a single skin (which means basically a single HTML file), now, in v3, you can have many different "skin" loaded at the same time in different Window panes.

It is possible to load older v2 skins, by doing what Giga told you. You can also edit the skin in the same place.

But you then have to "activate" the window, by going in the menu to
    VIEW -> HTML WINDOW -> <WhateverNameYouSkinHas>

This should load the skin, and you can then position it wherever you want.
     Last edited: by RossRoy
    Posted:
    Thanks so much for the response, I really appreciate the help, but it's still not very clear to me. Let me try being more specific...

I really like the Showroom layout. I like that it's basically a cover browser - very different from virtually any other skin. But the changes I'd like to make are:
    1. On mouseover it shows a few details including production year, running time, etc. I'd prefer that the plot summary (overview) was included in the popup.
    2. When you double-click (I'd prefer single-click), sometimes it wants to edit the details, other times it just displays them. I wish it would just display them all the time. EDIT: It always want to edit, it's just that sometimes it pops up a prompt to update the profile for that particular DVD. Is there any way I can tell it not to do that? (I didn't see anything under Tools > Options.)
    3. When it does display them, it displays the General Info tab first. I'd like to reorder those tabs and choose which one is at the top.
    4. I'd like to tell it to use a larger font when displaying the overview.

Hope this makes it more clear.
     Last edited: by donnieandkrista
    DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributornorthbloke
    United Kingdom Posts: 5,459
    Posted:
    I'm not familiar with this layout so can't answer all your questions but I'll try with some of them.

2. Double-click to edit is a program default, all layouts do the same. I don't believe it can be overridden.
    The prompt that you mention means that the online version of the profile is different to the one you have in your collection. It can be stopped for an individual profile by right-clicking on the Update icon (a single disc with a green down arrow on it) and selecting "Skip this update". It will only return when another change is made to the online profile.
    3. Again, the order of the tabs is set by the program. You could always make it a "Feature Request" to allow them to be reordered.

Your other questions I'll have to look into before I can answer.
    Posted:
    OK, I've had a quick look. The popup you mention is again set by the program and can't be changed. But again you could always request in the "Feature Request" forum for it to be customizable.
    Same with the font size for the overview, however in this case you can make a simple HTML window to replace your Overview window and in that you could set the font size to anything you want.
    I came up with this basic code:

Quote:
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>

<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
    <!--
    <DP NAME="HEADER_VARS" Language="JavaScript" Comments="True" IncludeCast="False" IncludeCrew="False">
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>

</HEAD>
    <BODY bgcolor = 0>
    <font size = "2" color = "white">
    <DP NAME="OVERVIEW"></font>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

This should look pretty similar to the current overview window, except you can set the font size number to your own preference.
    Posted:
    Quoting donnieandkrista:
    Quote:
    3. When it does display them, it displays the General Info tab first. I'd like to reorder those tabs and choose which one is at the top.

Reading your post again - when you say you don't want General Info at the top, are you talking about in the Edit Profile window (which is what I was talking about) or were you talking about the second profile tab in that layout - the one that contains general info, overview, video formats etc?

Cos if you're talking about the tab, then you can drag and drop any of those windows into any order you like - even move them onto different tabs or create new ones.
    Posted:
    Thanks so much for the answers!

Quoting northbloke:
    Quote:
    The prompt that you mention means that the online version of the profile is different to the one you have in your collection. It can be stopped for an individual profile by right-clicking on the Update icon (a single disc with a green down arrow on it) and selecting "Skip this update". It will only return when another change is made to the online profile.
    Got it. I've locked all the profiles to get rid of it entirely. I'll manually update alll the profiles occasionally, but in general, I think most of them are fine as they are.

Quoting northbloke:
    Quote:
    OK, I've had a quick look. The popup you mention is again set by the program and can't be changed. But again you could always request in the "Feature Request" forum for it to be customizable.
    Same with the font size for the overview
    Bummer. I'm surprised at how much stuff is locked in.

Quoting northbloke:
    Quote:
    however in this case you can make a simple HTML window to replace your Overview window and in that you could set the font size to anything you want.
    I came up with this basic code:
    Thanks for that! Is there a tutorial on these HTML windows somewhere? How do I access the new HTML windows? Is it possible to set it as one of the context menu options? I customized the context menu on my current layout, adding "Overview" to the menu, but when I clicked it, the only thing it did was put a checkmark on the menu option!

Better yet, can I set an HTML window as my main window? (I could easily do everything I want to do if I had control of the HTML/javascript.)

Last question (for now anyway! ) - what's "Run Command File" (in the File menu)?
    Posted:
    Access to HTML windows is under the View menu. At the beginning there is only an Edit option, but once you've created your new windows they'll be listed there as well so you can switch them on and off (they are usually switched off at the start by default).
    I've never seen a tutorial for HTML windows, but there are plenty of examples in this forum that you could probably have a look at. And some users have started a Wiki for Profiler here.
    And I can't see any reason why you can't use an HTML window as your main window. Most profile info can be accessed via the HTML tags that are available to you in the Edit window.
     Last edited: by northbloke
    DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantxyrano
    41215.reg 70320.urk
    Sweden Posts: 646
    Posted:
    Perhaps the tutorials I have written can help you in some areas. The links are in my sign, below.
    They are written for a specific purpose but they also cover some questions you seem to have.

The difference between the two tutorials is only the source code and the result.
    Posted:
    Quoting donnieandkrista:
    Quote:
    Last question (for now anyway! ) - what's "Run Command File" (in the File menu)?

Sorry, forgot to answer this one. A command file contains a sequence of commands that will run when opened. A bit like a DOS bat file. Some people use them to run customised backups and so on.
    It's also possible to open Profiler and have it run a command file automatically.
        Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Layouts and Reports Page: 1  Previous   Next