Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
dvdprofiler v3 performance
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorajm
dvd-aholic
United Kingdom Posts: 525
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
With the trend for software upgrades to require newer, faster computers, its refreshing to know that when Ken (and Gerri) upgrade dvdprofiler, that the performance doesn't suffer with new releases.

With all the changes, I really was expecting the performance to suffer with this release. Very glad I was wrong.

So thanks Ken for not making us all upgrade hardware, leaving us more money to spend on dvd's.

Home of the phpDVDProfiler forums
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantPeter von Frosta
Germany Posts: 452
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Yep, it's weird. In my virtual machine it's really fast. Didn't expect that.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
United States Posts: 17,308
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I agree... I have an older/slower computer and I was surprised how nicely and quickly it works... in fact better then the previous version.

The only thing that slowed down for me was the initial start-up of the program... that takes at least twice as long as it did... but that is cool... I just turn it on and then hit the kitchen to be sure I am good on my snacks and choice of beverage.
Pete
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
The only thing that slowed down for me was the initial start-up of the program... that takes at least twice as long as it did... but that is cool... I just turn it on and then hit the kitchen to be sure I am good on my snacks and choice of beverage.

Use "nosplash"
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
never seen the option... will have to find it and check it out... thanks
Pete
Posted:
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
never seen the option... will have to find it and check it out... thanks

It's a startup option:
"C:\Programme\DVD Profiler\dvdpro.exe" nosplash
Posted:
oh,,, ok... thanks again!
Pete
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorBad Father
Posted:
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
I agree... I have an older/slower computer and I was surprised how nicely and quickly it works... in fact better then the previous version.

It's wierd.  I'm still using an old Dell Dimension 4100 with 512MB RAM and DVDP 3.0 starts up even faster that 2.5 even with the splash screen.

I feel giddy as a school girl .  Can't wait till this weekend to really get into 3.0.
My WebGenDVD online Collection
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Performance was a major focus, especially moving from dvd to dvd in the collection list.  Nice to see it's appreciated.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
 Last edited: by Ken Cole
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRossRoy
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm really surprised at the performance despite the new interface and all.

There was a performance problem with 2.5 on my computer which was that if it was minimized for too long, say overnight or while watching a movie, when bringing it back up the performance would very sluggish and I usually had to shut it down to get the usual performance back. Anybody had the chance to test that yet?

I'm guessing not, we're all too occupied checking out the new stuff, so having it minimized is a waste of valuable discovery time 
 Last edited: by RossRoy
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantpacaway
since Oct 5 2002
Canada Posts: 35
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Performance was a major focus, especially moving from dvd to dvd in the collection list.  Nice to see it's appreciated.

It seemed quite slow doing a search for updated profiles.  Is that to be expected?
in canada, no one can hear you scream
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:

In which timezone are you?
dvd-aholic
Posted:
Quoting RossRoy:
Quote:

There was a performance problem with 2.5 on my computer which was that if it was minimized for too long, say overnight or while watching a movie, when bringing it back up the performance would very sluggish and I usually had to shut it down to get the usual performance back. Anybody had the chance to test that yet?

That was my biggest performance issue with 2.5. It was quicker to shut it down and restart than it was to minimize, leave it for 1 hour and restore. Could take 5mins before it was usable again.

Haven't noticed that being an issue as yet, but haven't really had it minimized at all. Time to do some testing.

dvd-aholic
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:

In this day and age, its nice to see people focus on writing code that performs, rather than just saying 'buy a faster computer'. I spend at least a day at week, sorting out customers performance issues which are usually caused by badly designed/written applications.

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRossRoy
Posted:
Quoting ajm:
Quote:
badly designed/written applications.

When you have to preload stuff in momery just so the application doesn't take 5 minutes to launch, you know there is a problem with the application right there (Adobe and Autodesk come to mind  )

Firefox also suffers from that, to a lesser extent but still.
 Last edited: by RossRoy
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorBad Father
Posted:
Quoting RossRoy:
Quote:
Quoting ajm:
Quote:
badly designed/written applications.

When you have to preload stuff in momery just so the application doesn't take 5 minutes to launch, you know there is a problem with the application right there (Adobe and Autodesk come to mind  )

Firefox also suffers from that, to a lesser extent but still.

Your avitar makes me want you...that's just plain wrong   .
My WebGenDVD online Collection
    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next