Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
Common name rade Sherbedgia/serbedzija
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbentyman
Norway Posts: 651
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Hi, I have searched around the forum but haven't found anything yet. What is the common name for Rade? Is it Serbedzija which is his birthname (according to imdb) or Sherbedgia which he is most credited as. I have 7 entries with him in my base, and only one entry where he's credited as Serbedzija (The Saint) SO what should it be? I updated my base, and unfortunately contributed them as Serbedzija as common name, since I couldn't find any info here so far. But if it's Sherbedgia that is the common name, I will change it in my profile, and contribution.
"What's God?"
"You know when you want something really bad and you wish for it?, God's the guy that ignores you"
-The Island, Steve Buscemi
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributortweeter
I aim to misbehave
United States Posts: 2,665
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
If you put both names in the Credit Lookup Tool you'll find Serbedzija currently most common (310 profiles) while Sherbedgia is less common (148 profiles).

Not sure that answers the question though.  If All the Batman Begin and Eurotrip titles were fixed Serbedzija's 310 would drop to ~260 and Sherbedgia's 148 would rise to ~198.  Those are the only two titles i have with him credited.  If a couple more of his titles with many profiles (Snatch, Space Cowboys, Stigmata, Eyes Wide Shut, MI:2) were also "wrong" it would easily swing the common name strongly one way or the other.

I don't have an answer, just numbers. 
Bad movie?  You're soaking in it!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBehemot
Norway Posts: 555
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'd go with Rade Serbedzija as common name - the other variant is an "Americanised" variant of his name. Here's a link to a theater of which he is co-founder, and they use the name Serbedzija on that website:

http://www.ulysses.hr/html/index.php?a=ulysses&s=6&ulyhtml=c998d7e029b936642021311435e7047a
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
Profiling since Dec. 2000
Netherlands Posts: 8,667
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Behemot:
Quote:
I'd go with Rade Serbedzija as common name - the other variant is an "Americanised" variant of his name. Here's a link to a theater of which he is co-founder, and they use the name Serbedzija on that website:

http://www.ulysses.hr/html/index.php?a=ulysses&s=6&ulyhtml=c998d7e029b936642021311435e7047a

Sounds good!
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantnuoyaxin
prev. known as ya_shin
Taiwan, Province of China Posts: 3,432
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting tweeter:
Quote:
If you put both names in the Credit Lookup Tool you'll find Serbedzija currently most common (310 profiles) while Sherbedgia is less common (148 profiles).

Because that's what they use at IMDb....
Achim [諾亞信; Ya-Shin//Nuo], a German in Taiwan.
I aim to misbehave
Posted:
Quoting ya_shin:
Quote:
Quoting tweeter:
Quote:

Because that's what they use at IMDb....

Rest assured, i'm aware of IMD* infiltration of the credits.  That's why i didn't come to a conclusion.    I wouldn't be surprised to discover Sherbedgia is the more commonly credited form.

If i were to make a decision i'd probably go with Šerbedžija as it is his real name (and used name, as Behemot's link shows) and Sherbedgia is a simple transliteration of the original.  It not like he ever changed his name.  He may allow it to be spelled phonetically in films, understanding many people won't know how to say it otherwise.

Is the definition of Common Name broad enough to allow Šerbedžija even if is less used than the transliterated Sherbedgia?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorRHo
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting tweeter:
Quote:
Is the definition of Common Name broad enough to allow Šerbedžija even if is less used than the transliterated Sherbedgia?

Without unicode support, Š and ž are not possible with most code pages.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBehemot
Norway Posts: 555
Posted:
He's the father of actress Lucija Serbedzija, whose resume is found here:

http://www.pfd.co.uk/clients/serbedzl/a-act.html

IMO, the best (and most correct) thing to do would be to use Rade Serbedzija as Common name, for the reason pointed out by RHo.
 Last edited: by Behemot
I aim to misbehave
Posted:
Quoting Behemot:
Quote:
IMO, the best (and most correct) thing to do would be to use Rade Serbedzija as Common name, for the reason pointed out by RHo.

You and Rho are correct of course.  He's in the DB without the diacriticals and that's what i think should be the common form.  I copied the name straight off the page you linked earlier and didn't think about those characters muddying things up.
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next