Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Layouts and Reports Page: 1  Previous   Next
has anyone created a report for viewing on a tv?
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantjdust77
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm looking for (or tips on creating) a report that could be burned to dvd for viewing of my collection.

I'd like to be able to hit next (or the arrow keys) to go to the next dvd.
Maybe add some music to it 

I've tried making a report that is one page per DVD, then saving each page as a jpeg... burned that to dvd.
It plays and I got the music... but it looks like crap on my tv !!

The only fields I want on the page (screen) is the Title, Front Cover, Location & Slot. 
(Not important but wouldnt mind: release year, genre and a few actors names)

I'm thinking of trying to just pulling the front covers from the directory where they are saved and using a editor to add the Movie Title and Location/Slot Over the Top of that. 
This would be too much work though for the amount of DVDs I have. I also wouldnt want to do this everytime I want to make a new report DVD.

Any thoughts?
"You don't know how much enough is until you know how much too much is"
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantMarEll
United Kingdom Posts: 1,208
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
How did you go about doing that?  Did it have any kind of navigation structure or just the ability to skip through?
sboyajian
Posted:
it sounds like you just made a slideshow DVD.. problem is it looks bad because it probably taking it out of it's native resolution.  The best solution would be to determine the resolution you are displaying picture at (NTSC - 720 x 480, PAL - 720 x 576) and place your image directly in there, this will prevent any resizing.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
When displaying on a TV, you'll want to use fairly large fonts.  If you ever hooked up your computer to the TV, you'll see what I mean (even more so if it isn't a HDTV).
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantkrullje04
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
I actually started to do just what you're looking for, but couldn't find a good DVD slideshow program.  I used the top have of "Sailor's Full Page Report with some modifications. I have in genre, location, cover art and the overview. I then found a program that allows you to print to .jpg files. 

If you want to see what I did let me know.  I'm not sure how people are about other's modifying their reports and re-uploading them.  I could always email you what I have.

Can anyone suggest a good DVD slideshow program?
Posted:
thanks for the replies.

additional info:
I have a widescreen 52 inch tv. it is HD, but I'm running the green/red/blue cables (need to upgrade my player still)

MarEll :
I didnt have a navigation structure on my test as i wasnt sure how it was going to display..didn't want to spend too much time on it if it wasnt going to be what I wanted.
I did think of having menu's...maybe a link for each letter of the alphabet -?

boyajian:
what do you mean by "place your image directly in there, this will prevent any resizing"

krullje04:
what program did you use to print to jpeg?  I ended up printing report to Adobe and saving as jpeg from there...was a bit more involved as I would like...
I'd be interested in seeing what you've got - there is decent software built in to vista if you're running that - I used Roxio8 when I made my test.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
The Component cables (red/green/blue) are just fine for HD.
Posted:
Sorry I haven't looked at the post in a while.  I went another way and bought an old xbox to run XBMC.  There is a nice program that grabs the information out of DVD Profiler and shows it on your XBox.

The program I was using is Zan Image to make the JPGs.  I still wouldn't mind making a DVD I could share with friends for them to flip thru the collection and see what I have.

I hope this thread keeps going....
Posted:
krullje04:  Thanks for the reply.

I googled Zan Image and plan on checking that out - looks as though it may come in handy for other purposes as well.

What's the program that you're using within XBMC?
I have an xbox running that already...

what kind of info does it pull / show?
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantsoulgazer
Life's what you make it!
Denmark Posts: 94
Posted:
It could be DVDProfiler2XMBC

G@@gle is your friend 
Posted:
Thanks Rygaard.

That does look pretty sweet, I'll have to try that.
However, it doesnt (I dont believe) solve a goal I wanted to accomplish when originally posting this

Due to the number of dvds I have (or really the lack of storage space) I have the discs stored in a case and I have them labeled in Profiler using the location/slot fields.

I'd like to be able to look at my list on dvd (or on xbmc) and see the slot/location so I can find a movie I want to watch and also know where it is

Looks like xbmc only shows the picture (which is still cool) as well as linking to imdb...which I'm not too concerned about.

*I havent tried the print to jpeg program yet...so I'm not quite done testing, etc...

I do appreciate all the replies.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
United States Posts: 6,431
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Some ideas:

(1) Hook up your PC to the HD TV (several ways to do it, including remote broadcast of video feed)
(2) Use a smartphone or iPod to view HTML reports (see iPod Exporter and DVDProfileLoop plugins)
(3) DVDPro Mobile
(4) Put most popular DVDs in a disc carousel, and select them directly from DVDProfiler

Just trying to go outside the box a bit - maybe it will trigger something you can use ...

Edit: I just reread your original post. If you actually burned decent quality jpegs to a DVD screenshow, and they "looked like crap"on your HD TV, then there is a more fundamental problem somewhere ...

Using DVDPro's built-in reports is certainly a convenient option, and no other process will produce a higher quality image - so perhaps we need to first solve the issue of why you are not getting a good-looking screen show on your DVD. Once that is solved, you can make a .XPS file directly from DVDPro print preview. MS IE is the default .XPS file viewer. There is surely a way to burn .XPS files to a DVD screen show.

Does this make sense, or have I totally misunderstood what's going on?
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
Posted:
mediadogg:
I plan on testing some more hopefully this weekend. I honestly havent tried since my first few attempts. Wow...didnt realize it has already been since Sept since I originally posted!

I've never tried just burning the cover jpegs to see what they show up as on the screen.
I'll try that to see if that looks good - so I know the "foundation" is good.

What I did try was creating a new report that had the front cover image and some base info (title, location & slot)
I printed the report as an adobe file then manually did a print screen to jpeg of each page (going forward I plan on using the print to jpeg program suggested in a prev post)

Another thing I just thought of:  when I tried to make my report I was trying to set it up in a landscape type format due to my widescreen TV.  Thinking about this now I should try and just make it normal and when I view the DVD I can just set my TV to 4:3 with the remote

Thanks for the ideas. I dont have a smartphone/ipod or anything that would run
dvdpro mobile. When I found out about that I seriously wanted one just for that reason! 

To All:  if and when I get this, I'll post what I have done.
Posted:
Glad to hear you're making progress.  I'd love to see the report that you have when you're done.  You are correct that the location doesn't show in XBMC.  I do believe that's possible, but I've been so busy I haven't had time to look into it myself.  I'm thinking about contacting the author of DVDProfiler2XBMC and see if it's something he can add in.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantspinbot
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Anyone succeed ?
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Layouts and Reports Page: 1  Previous   Next