Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: DVD Profiler Online Page: 1 2 3 ...6  Previous   Next
Visual feasts?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantW0m6at
You're in for it now Tony
Australia Posts: 1,091
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I asked this question on the old InterVocative forums, and was quite impressed with the response.  Considering that we now have access to two different formats of high-definition video, I think it's even more relevant.

So what movies have stunning visuals?  It could be something that on release was jaw-droppingly spectacular, or something that uses a wide palette of colours (or conversely a very subdued one), or even something that simply has a highly unique aesthetic.  Amazing action set-pieces also fall into this.

So, any hot tips?
Adelaide Movie Buffs (info on special screenings, contests, bargains, etc. relevant to Adelaideans... and contests/bargains for other Aussies too!)
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote

And believe it or not, Blood Rayne.  While the story, acting, and plot all sucked major wuzits, the stages, locations, and costumes were all top notch.
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks Doc.  Both of those are on my to-watch list.  300 looks over the top and highly visual, so I've certainly been looking forward to it (I tend to like OTT or underplayed movies).  Blood Rayne will be more tempting (than before) following your mention (I'll avoid saying recommendation).

I finally got around to watching House of Flying Daggers, and unfortunately didn't enjoy it overall as much as I had hoped.  Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I think its popularity stems from the visual appeal (cinematography and palette) moreso than storyline, or more obviously (for me anyway), the fight scenes.  I loved the colours, but have certainly seen much stronger fight scenes.  However, for the purposes of this thread, it's HIGHLY recommended.
Adelaide Movie Buffs (info on special screenings, contests, bargains, etc. relevant to Adelaideans... and contests/bargains for other Aussies too!)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantKrikarian
cool that never fades...
United States Posts: 291
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
perfume: the story of a murder is rather stunning in look and execution.

also perfect creature, although far from perfect, has a unique futuristic-retro look. but if your willing to watch blood rayne, you can get though this one...

krik
"Vampirism is still not a disease, Julia. Vampires are the living dead...dead...dead..."
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKatatonia
Retired Profiler
United States Posts: 20,111
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
The Fountain: otherworldy beautiful visuals, lackluster plot.
Corey
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVibroCount
The Truth is Silly Putty
United States Posts: 5,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Easy Rider, "directed" by Dennis Hopper... the entire visual feel was created by the late Laszlo Kovacs. Kovacs won acclaim for his use of the scenery/landscape as an additional character in the film. The backdrop told the story as much as the "scripted" characters who were portrayed by actors. (Please excuse the emphasis quotes -- I just find it funny that this film won an Oscar nomination for a screenplay which did not exist, and Hopper receiving credits for directing this much-improvised film.)

Bound for Glory, directed by Hal Ashby, uses both Haskell Wexler's cinematography and very early use of the steadicam to great effectiveness, bringing a color vision which is both modern and reminiscent of Gregg Toland's work on The Grapes of Wrath (and any Toland film is worth considering in the answer to your request).

The Night of the Hunter, Charles Laughton's only film directed by him, was shot by Stanley Cortez. This film tells in shot after shot why it would not work in color, but black and white being the perfect medium for telling the story.
If it wasn't for bad taste, I wouldn't have no taste at all.

Cliff
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorruineddaydreams
United States Posts: 1,338
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
for the dark side of the color palette - V for Vendetta
from the lighter side: The Fifth Element

my favs at the moment for this
-JoN
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Here's a few most people miss:

1. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
2. Dances With Wolves
3. Open Range
4. Gladiator
5. Pathfinder: Unrated
6. Sin City
7. Underworld
8. Underworld: Evolution
9. Flyboys
10. Apocalypto
11. Saving Private Ryan
12. We Were Soldiers

1, 5, and 6 were taken from graphic novels and the director's have tried to keep that flavor intact, though each approachs it from a different angle.  2 and 3 are examples of the use of scenery and attention to historical detail, and two of the best westerns ever put to film.  7 and 8 are both very dark and gothic in texture, but both are visually very stunning with superb CGI work.  9 uses a lot of CGI as well, but is very well done and has some of the best WWI flying footage ever put on film.  The only other WWI aircraft film that I would put up at that level is 'The Great Waldo Pepper' with Robert Redford where they filmed an actual dogfight with detail perfect full size replicas for the final scenes in that one.

A standout is 10.  Apocalypto is extremely violent, extremely bloody, but is superb story telling and graphically it will suck you in and not let go till the last frame.  Mel Gibson will become better known for his directing than for his acting before he's done.

Finally, 11 and 12 are visually stunning, very violent and bloody and emotionally disturbing to watch, but not gratuitous in the least.  They will show you what combat is like as closely as anyone will ever be able to put on film outside of actual combat footage.  Both are very high up on my list.

Every one of those I listed will be magnificent in high def, just as they are in standard DVD.
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
 Last edited: by Rifter
Posted:
Krikarian, Perfect Creature was a pretty cool movie, though I shan't be buying it.  The visuals were definitely very important in that one.  Katatonia, I've been wanting to watch The Fountain for a while, so shall have to get around to it soon.  Thanks VibroCount for your suggestions, none of which I've actually seen!    It's times like this that different perspectives can be good.

ruineddaydreams, I love both of those films.  The Fifth Element I have watched once on each of the following (all but the first of which involved a purchase):  On TV, VHS, DVD, Superbit DVD.  I consistently come back to it, but often convince myself I need the best version possible to do so.  Perhaps I'll enter the hi-def war before my next outing, who knows?  V For Vendetta was a VERY cool film.

Rifter, that's a pretty good list.  I've seen about half of those.  There are a few I own, a few that don't appeal (I don't like war movies) and a few that I'll have to look into.  I really dig Sky Captain and the Underworld movies, though the Underworlds I can't happily watch because of lip-synching issues (particularly in the first).

Keep the suggestions coming people, but here's one for y'all.  The Dark Crystal is amazingly detailed.  There are scenes where looking really closely at constructed 'natural' landscapes there is an astounding level of detail.  Giving this a quick burl on a new display I just got, it's like watching a new movie... the colours and detail are spectacular at all levels.  Definitely one to watch.  I might have to see how its spiritual companion Labyrinth holds up.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantOverseer
Where's my damn statue?!
United States Posts: 175
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm looking forward to see how 'What Dreams May Come' turns out on hi-def.
Gotta nip it in the bud, Andy!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBattling Butler
Posted:
Moulin Rouge  (especially the scenes inside the elephant, and the grand finale)
Open Range
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Hero
Curse of the Golden Flower (HiDef)
The Wizard of Oz (remastered)
The Fifth Element (HiDef)
House of Flying Daggers (HiDef)
The Searchers (remastered) (HiDef)
Ran (new Criterion ed.)
Lawrence of Arabia (remastered)
Ghost in the Shell / GITS 2: Innocence (anime)
Paprika (anime)
Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (animation)
Cars
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantkovacs01
Posted:
Mirrormask
Elephant's Dream (its available on HD!)
Renaissance
Baraka
Blade Runner (cant wait for it in HD)
Brazil
Children of Men
Equilibrium
Immortel ad Vitam
Infrenal Affairs
Seven Swords
Natural CityPans Labyrinth
Secret Garden
Soundless
Suspiria
Twilight Samurai
Zatoichi
Posted:
I just rewatched the first Austin Powers, and the opening credits certainly fit the bill.  The rest of the movie is still great fun, but by no means a feast.  Still, some nice use of colours and motion.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registranttoolkit200
Australia Posts: 16
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Many I thought of have already been mentioned, but here are a couple that spring to mind.

The Cell (2000) - For all the surreal sequences in the beginning and in the killers mind - the colour palette, detail in the sets, and just some of the strange imagery like the horse part   
Legend (1985) - The whole movie - For all the same reasons W0m6at mentioned Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, which this movie reminds me alot of in parts.
 Last edited: by toolkit200
Posted:
I want to revisit The Cell at some point.  Now, Legend is a pretty cool film.  I even bought the talking 'The Lord of Darkness' (though mine never talked).  The gf hated it, then I accidentally dropped it on it's head and that broke off.  It now lives in the cupboard awaiting it's fate (potentially re-emerging if I get the space, or sold on the cheap).  That movie has the added bonuses of Tom Cruise *not* being an arrogant git, and Tim Curry being AWESOME!
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgardibolt
digitally Obsessed
Posted:
What Dreams May Come is gorgeous; I'm looking forward to the HD.
Manhattan (my favorite movie) - incredible NYC visuals
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: DVD Profiler Online Page: 1 2 3 ...6  Previous   Next