Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1  Previous   Next
Adding cast members?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantrazorDVD
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I have not used this application for some time. I got a new computer and never moved it over to the new system until recently. I added a new movie, but there are NO cast members. I thought these were automatically created? I added this using the UPC code method. Thanks in advance for any info.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantLowpro
United States Posts: 295
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Cast/Crew Edit 2 authored by DJ Doena is what you seek.  Their forum thread for the application is located here.  Enjoy!
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
 Last edited: by Lowpro
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Sweden Posts: 4,526
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting razorDVD:
Quote:
there are NO cast members. I thought these were automatically created?

Just to be clear, nothing is created automatically. Everything is user contributed. You can use DJ Doena's program to add cast and crew from IMDb, but IMDb data may not be contributed to the online database. If you want to contribute the (updated) profile, you need to first match everything to the actual movie credits.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
Quoting razorDVD:
Quote:
there are NO cast members. I thought these were automatically created?

Just to be clear, nothing is created automatically. Everything is user contributed. You can use DJ Doena's program to add cast and crew from IMDb, but IMDb data may not be contributed to the online database. If you want to contribute the (updated) profile, you need to first match everything to the actual movie credits.

It seems that in the past when I added a new movie, the cast information was there after the add. If the cast info is not there does it mean that there was no cast information for the movie? Sorry, I'm a little confused.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Sweden Posts: 4,526
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting razorDVD:
Quote:
It seems that in the past when I added a new movie, the cast information was there after the add. If the cast info is not there does it mean that there was no cast information for the movie? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

No, it means that whoever submitted the profile did not enter any cast. It's not mandatory. In fact, the only things that you must enter in order to submit a profile are - if I remember correctly -  Title, ID (usually UPC/EAN) and Production Year.

In most cases, the initial contribution does contain cast and crew, and  if it does not, there is usually someone who is willing to add that to the profile. But if this is a relatively new or obscure title, it's not abnormal that it comes without a cast. Also, nowadays we have, unfortunately,  a diminishing number of active contributors.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
Posted:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
Quoting razorDVD:
Quote:

No, it means that whoever submitted the profile did not enter any cast. It's not mandatory. In fact, the only things that you must enter in order to submit a profile are - if I remember correctly -  Title, ID (usually UPC/EAN) and Production Year.

In most cases, the initial contribution does contain cast and crew, and  if it does not, there is usually someone who is willing to add that to the profile. But if this is a relatively new or obscure title, it's not abnormal that it comes without a cast. Also, nowadays we have, unfortunately,  a diminishing number of active contributors.

Thanks so much! The movie was HIS DARK MATERIALS - season 3 which was released in DEC 2022, so that is why. Its a shame that not many people are contributing, I guess there is not as much need for the application today - everybody goes to Wikipedia or other online sources.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantLowpro
United States Posts: 295
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quote:
Quoting razorDVD:Its a shame that not many people are contributing, I guess there is not as much need for the application today - everybody goes to Wikipedia or other online sources.

One doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other.  There's just as much need for this application today as there was during the early years of the DVD format when the program was originally introduced.  All the online crap comes and goes.  Live by the cloud, die by the cloud.  People that are smart don't invest their precious time building some online database they ultimately have no control over.  DVD Profiler provides for working locally, no strings attached.  To each his own, but I don't care whether a given profile exists in the Invelos online database.  I'd just assume create my own profiles locally and have no interest in creating a profile that is in keeping with the contribution rules.  I create a given profile my way right out the gate.  I then lock the profile down and move on.  Again, to each his own naturally.
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
 Last edited: by Lowpro
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantFingerlakes Dave
United States Posts: 442
Posted:
Quoting razorDVD:

Thanks so much! The movie was HIS DARK MATERIALS - season 3 which was released in DEC 2022, so that is why. Its a shame that not many people are contributing, I guess there is not as much need for the application today - everybody goes to Wikipedia or other online sources.

What you could look for is a different release (DVD vs Blu-ray - vs 4K) and copy the the whole cast and crew from there. (IF the cast and crew are present. Sometimes it works.  )
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Technical Support Page: 1  Previous   Next