Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 7 8 9 10 11 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAstrakan
Canada Posts: 1,299
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Now that things seem to be settling down, I'm curious to know the results of the trial.  Or are you still evaluating?

I know I'm not Ken, but from where I'm sitting it's been a success. Maybe it's a coincidence, but personally I think the forums have become much more enjoyable in the past week and a half. And it seems to me it probably has something to do with the presence of moderators. Even if they have only actively moderated a handful of messages, the mere fact that they're there I think has tempered... tempers.

Remains to be seen if it'll continue this way or not. Personally I'm hoping so.

KM
Tags, tags, bo bags, banana fana fo fags, mi my mo mags, TAGS!
Dolly's not alone. You can also clone profiles.
You've got questions? You've got answers? Take the DVD Profiler Wiki for a spin.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantbbursiek
United States Posts: 262
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I beg to differ - anything that has caused so much trouble (several prominent users leaving or curtailing posting) for so little apparent benefit seems like a lack of success with the current level of moderation. I also don't think a small sample size of a week means that much in terms of the overall tenor of the forums.

I personally remain very unhappy at this level of moderation. If a middle ground of sorts is reached that may change my mind but not at the moment.

Brian
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting bbursiek:
Quote:
I beg to differ - anything that has caused so much trouble (several prominent users leaving or curtailing posting) for so little apparent benefit...

On the flip side, several prominent users left or curtailed postings when the unmoderated environment got bad.

We saw a few posts modified early on, but for the most part, I see posts that are more respectful, possibly because users know that moderators are watching. To me, that speaks to the success of the program.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVittra
O.o
United States Posts: 384
Posted:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
Quoting bbursiek:
Quote:
I beg to differ - anything that has caused so much trouble (several prominent users leaving or curtailing posting) for so little apparent benefit...

On the flip side, several prominent users left or curtailed postings when the unmoderated environment got bad.

We saw a few posts modified early on, but for the most part, I see posts that are more respectful, possibly because users know that moderators are watching. To me, that speaks to the success of the program.

I agree, I am much enjoying the new feel of the forums. Yes, there could be a few users posting less, or "walking on egg shells" when they post, but I think everyone is still getting a feel for the moderation and this type of thing is normal IMO. Anybody who has jumped the gun and straight up left so early on in the moderation *trial*, I'm not sure I understand, but hopefully they'll end up coming back.

I also agree with m.cellophane that many people have left due to offensive posts, so all in all, I think we are better the way we stand now (so long as we all be patient during this transition). Have to remember that the moderators (from my understanding) that Ken "hired" are his contribution screeners so for all we know this is the their first attempt at moderating a forum. I think we all need to cut them a bit of slack if things don't go exactly as we all think they should right off the bat.

Anyway, just my opinion, I like the moderation myself. 

EDIT:
Just to add something else. From my reletively short time browsing these forums, I have seen no less then a half dozen or so former members of these forums stating that they left due to the offensive nature of some users here, so I would imagine that yes, we might lose a few due to "censorship", but we might gain back a few welcome veterans who left these forums long ago. Just a thought. 
"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire
 Last edited: by Vittra
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
I can't speak for others but I most certainly can speak for myself.

I was tempted to leave a few times and more than once I curtailed my reading to just the General Discussion forum, the most recent was just before moderation came in.  It just wasn't worth it to read the other forums because of all the general nastiness and I always left the site feeling like my hands were dirty.

We have (as a whole) proved that no moderation just doesn't work, period.

Those who would leave because of moderation are, in my opinion, over reacting.  First, it's a TRIAL, things can and probably will change.  Second, why would they leave?  Are they concerned that their own posts would be edited?  I think they should ask themselves why would that be.  Leaving because of moderation is like moving because a cop bought the house next door.*

The only real concern people should have at this time is having their posts edited for being off topic - and realize again that this is a trial.  Man up and ride the storm until things settle in.

After all, it's nothing personal.  Myself, I welcome the moderation with open arms even if it remains at the current level because frankly, it's a million times better than it was before.

* ETA: "Lakeview Terrace" non withstanding.
 Last edited: by Dr. Killpatient
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Dr. Killpatient:
Quote:
Those who would leave because of moderation are, in my opinion, over reacting.  First, it's a TRIAL, things can and probably will change.  Second, why would they leave?  Are they concerned that their own posts would be edited?  I think they should ask themselves why would that be.  Leaving because of moderation is like moving because a cop bought the house next door.*

Totally inoffensive posts HAVE been removed with the reason given that they are off-topic, and other threads that the moderators don't like have been locked.

Unless this is a repetitive behavior by someone, removal and/or locking is completely unwarranted and has, whether you see it or not, inflicted a stifling effect on the forums.

If this behavior continues, my participation here will be extremely limited.

I don't need someone else censoring me.  I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, by staying away.
Hal
 Last edited: by hal9g
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAstrakan
Canada Posts: 1,299
Posted:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
Totally inoffensive posts HAVE been removed with the reason given that they are off-topic, and other threads that the moderators don't like have been locked.

Which the Dr. addressed as a real concern in his very next paragraph.

Keep in mind though, per the new forum rules we should not veer off the topic of any given thread. I'm not saying I'm in full agreement with removing off-topic posts, but this is probably the reason why posts have been moderated in this trial.

As far as I'm concerned, when an off topic post is made, rather than straight up removal of the post, a moderator should step in and remind people to stay on topic. But again, it's a trial. Let's be patient.

If off-topic posts are being removed without warning a month or two from now, then I can see a reason for alarm. Until then I think everyone should just kick back and let the kinks get worked out and a good balance be found.

KM
Tags, tags, bo bags, banana fana fo fags, mi my mo mags, TAGS!
Dolly's not alone. You can also clone profiles.
You've got questions? You've got answers? Take the DVD Profiler Wiki for a spin.
 Last edited: by Astrakan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
I will only say thisd, so far I am seeing the same sort of abuse that I have always seen, except now it is supported by moderators. I am seeing some users, who are being allowed to make inflammatory comments and be rewarded with their behavior with gold stars, while others andn the mods have no ideas apparently of the insulting and inflammatory nature of the comments. One of these users has apparently decided that he is the ultimate arbiter of Profiler and do whatever he wishes.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
 Last edited: by Winston Smith
Here's my card
Posted:
Concerning Skip's comment above, I think that the should be replaced with a "Report to Moderator" button that when clicked, a user is required to specify why they are reporting it.  After all, a lot of times the offense one person takes is not obvious to others (such as obscure & obscene slang) and an explanation is needed.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
Quoting Dr. Killpatient:
Quote:
Concerning Skip's comment above, I think that the should be replaced with a "Report to Moderator" button that when clicked, a user is required to specify why they are reporting it.  After all, a lot of times the offense one person takes is not obvious to others (such as obscure & obscene slang) and an explanation is needed.

I was going to give you a but I'm all out for the day.  Instead, I'll give you a +1. 
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsynnerman
Take me with you. Please.
United States Posts: 736
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Dr. Killpatient:
Quote:

I would like the explanation option as well.  I don't give out many red arrows (maybe 10 or so since the system was implemented), but I always have a legitimate reason and would like to make it clear.  Usually it is because I see someone starting a fight that will throw the entire thread into a multi-page flame war, but I would like the option to give that reason and make it clear it isn't because I disagree with the issue or have a personal problem with the poster.  Just something to explain to the moderator why it was given.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting synner_man:
Quote:
Quoting Dr. Killpatient:
Quote:

I would like the explanation option as well.  I don't give out many red arrows (maybe 10 or so since the system was implemented), but I always have a legitimate reason and would like to make it clear.  Usually it is because I see someone starting a fight that will throw the entire thread into a multi-page flame war, but I would like the option to give that reason and make it clear it isn't because I disagree with the issue or have a personal problem with the poster.  Just something to explain to the moderator why it was given.

I suggested that back in November & still think it's a good idea
Here's my card
Posted:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
I was going to give you a but I'm all out for the day.  Instead, I'll give you a +1. 

That's okay, looks like a lot of other people liked it too.
Here's my card
Posted:
Quoting Forget_the_Rest:
Quote:
I suggested that back in November & still think it's a good idea

I had a tickle in the back of my mind that I've seen it before, good to hear that many people evidently like it.  Hopefully it'll become a reality now that we have moderators.
Here's my card
Posted:
:exasperated sigh:

Is the trial over?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
France Posts: 4,479
Posted:
Quoting Dr. Killpatient:
Quote:
:exasperated sigh:

Is the trial over?

Not at all. Skip's protection is still active. But since he is at present time the only one to send insults, there is nothing to moderate 
Images from movies
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 7 8 9 10 11 ...33  Previous   Next