Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 23 24 25 26 27 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:
I do know that stars disappear over time.  James, as an example, was a 4-star user at one time.  As you can see, because he hasn't posted as much as he used to, he is now a 1-star user.  While I don't know it that is the case here, and it was just odd timing, it is another possibility.

Actually I had 2 stars, not 4.  I appreciate the thought though.   I took about a month off last summer to detox from the forums. When I came back, I only had 1 star. Don't know what happened.

Quoting CharlieM:
Quote:
Now I will tell you, I did not agree with Skip on his posting concerning James.  I am sure that James is a big boy and can defend himself, if necessary.  Skip and James have been going at this back and forth for a long time, and for the most part still can talk.  They just get by the unpleasantness.

But for the other people that got involved with that conversation, shame on you.  James could have chosen to respond or not, and ended it right there.

I chose not to respond because we've been told that the high road is to cast the red arrow and move on. Coupled with the fact that Invelos said they weren't going to tolerate that kind of post again, I thought I could leave it alone with the confidence that Invelos would deal with it.

As the thread grew, I sent Invelos a message through "Contact Us" alerting them to the ruckus.

Then I realized they were letting it stand unedited, so that's when I posted here.

The post about my vote is unedited still. And they haven't responded. And I hear them loud and clear.

Quoting Prof. Kingsfield:
Quote:
Relative to james, as far as I am concerned he made his own bed, he knows the history and you don't. As for Kathy, I did not attack kathy and I have dealt with Kathy on that, i am amused that kathy did not take any insult until another user presumed it to be an insult on her behalf and there was NEVER any intended insult directed at Kathy...not EVER. but then you would not get that .

Note that in the 6 days prior to your post about my vote, I had not replied to a single one of your posts. I made exactly 3 non-controversial happy little posts elsewhere, 2 @ Kathy and 1 @ Pete. I keep PMs blocked between us because you use them to control my votes, my forum posts and to insult me when I don't obey. My vote was a simple 'yes' without comment. There was nothing there that should have triggered this nor anything from me "making my bed" that could be relevant.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
James:

I don't use them to control your votes, when you are wrong, you are wrong. That simple. In PM's I won't let you spin to rationalize a bad vote and you don't like that. I also can't PM to pay you a compliment which sometimes I want to do, but that's your choice, not mine. Like I said earlier I do not desire to go into great detail, simply because I do not consider it to be anyone's business.
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
 Last edited: by Winston Smith
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The thread was locked and the user warned. I'm not sure where the impression was given that an immediate ban would be given - a warning was appropriate in this case. If the problem is repeated, it will be dealt with.

The original message was left unedited so that others could see what the offending post was.  In cases of name calling or other direct attacks, we generally prefer to remove the language but in this case felt it would be beneficial overall to leave it and instead warn the user and lock the thread.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
Thank you for the explanation.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:

Indeed.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:

Indeed.

Exactly. Too bad Ken doesn't appear sooner when we have those kind of discussions that would safe a lot of bad vibes argument.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTaro
Belgium Posts: 1,580
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
The thread was locked and the user warned. I'm not sure where the impression was given that an immediate ban would be given - a warning was appropriate in this case. If the problem is repeated, it will be dealt with.

The original message was left unedited so that others could see what the offending post was.  In cases of name calling or other direct attacks, we generally prefer to remove the language but in this case felt it would be beneficial overall to leave it and instead warn the user and lock the thread.
So your policy has changed then?

December 2009 I was banned on the spot, without warning. I did not resort to name-calling. The reason was because I went a bit off topic and it was deemed inappropriate by Invelos (both me and MadMartian stated it would be interesting to keep tracking the original title like we do, which was connected to the topic but not exactly on topic). Both our posts were moderated and I alone was banned. My star was also removed. This was only the second time a post of mine had been moderated and repeated offenders with lots more moderated posts were also left unbanned.
original thread:
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=421218&PageNum=11
My comments on it:
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=351357&PageNum=13

So where does Invelos draw the line?

Or ... is the policy adapted depending on the user in question perhaps, like I already suspected back in December?
Blu-ray collection
DVD collection
My Games
My Trophies
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
I've really been trying to stay out of this but...

Quote:
The thread was locked and the user warned. I'm not sure where the impression was given that an immediate ban would be given - a warning was appropriate in this case. If the problem is repeated, it will be dealt with..

You questioned where we got the impression a ban would happen. I am fairly confident I can speak for many here in this case so let me try to clarify where we got confused.

On May 12th a moderator locked a thread and warned everyone that is was not acceptable to bring voting issues to the forum"
Link
Quote:
If you note a potentially inaccurate vote, feel free to politely PM the user in question.  If they don't respond or are not accepting PMs, it is not acceptable to bring the issue to the forums.  We consider this a form of harassment and so will be putting a stop to it.

An offense happened
The moderator locked the thread
The moderator told us this was a form of harassment and you will be putting a stop to it.

About a week after you warned us that this type of post was considered by you as harassment and is unacceptable the same person posted the same type of message. This was 100% against what you had already warned us we cannot do. The community, based on your action a week ago, knew this and called him out on it. We also called Invelos out for seemingly letting him get away with it since you told us you would be stopping it.

So once again we have the following:
An offense happened (same offense as last week)
The moderator locked the thread (same action as last week)
The moderator warned us (again) we can't do that.

Since you already locked a thread and we were already told it was not acceptable and you would be putting a stop to it I guess people expected something other than the thread being locked and another warning issued.    I hope that clears up the confusion on why we thought something would actually be done about it.

It really comes across as "No, for REAL this time, it is not acceptable". 

Although in all fairness you did warn us in bold font this time.
Quote:
To the op: Perhaps you missed this part:
If they don't respond or are not accepting PMs, it is not acceptable to bring the issue to the forums.

Let us know if next time we can expect something like this:
it is really really not acceptable to do this

followed a week later by:
I mean it this time...it is not acceptable to do this

and
Don't make me tell you again...

Yes, I am being a smart a$$ but I hope you get the point. The poster defied you. He does not claim he wasn't aware it was unacceptable. He defended his post saying Invelos caused the issued when they created the block user system.
After being called out on that he said he "consider(ed) the database and the value of the data to take the higher percedence". Once again showing his complete lack of respect for what you want to do with your program. The arrogance is amazing, or maybe not. Perhaps he does know he can do anything, even knowingly defy you, and simply get a "warning". 

Add to that the fact that in the week between warnings the user had 7 posts moderated as well. If you can't see how this gives the rest of us a feeling that your warnings are meaningless and there is special treatment then you need to step back and look at the situation with fresh eyes. Especially when you read stories like Taro and Cliff posted about their bans and reputation.

I'll get off my soapbox now, after one more point. 

Quote:
The original message was left unedited so that others could see what the offending post was.  In cases of name calling or other direct attacks, we generally prefer to remove the language but in this case felt it would be beneficial overall to leave it and instead warn the user and lock the thread..

If that is truly why you left it then you should say so. Edit the post. Add to it "Posts like this are not acceptable. We are leaving it here as an example of what you cannot say". Simply leaving it unedited gives the impression it is acceptable. Personally if something is not moderated in any way I don't see it as a possible example of what you consider unacceptable. I can't be alone in this, can I? 

OK, now I'm done.

No, for real this time.

I mean it.

I'm really done.

I wont tell you again.

After this time that is.

And this one too.

Seriously, I'm done. I'll say no more about it. I have made me feelings clear.

(get it yet?)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAlien Redrum
Proudly blocked by liars.
United States Posts: 1,656
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
lyonsden5 preaches.
Reviewer, HorrorTalk.com

"I also refuse to document CLT results and I pay my bills to avoid going to court." - Sam, keeping it real, yo.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributornorthbloke
United Kingdom Posts: 5,459
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
I was keeping out of this, but I've got to lend my support to Lyonsden. Less than a week after everyone is warned that those types of threads are a form of harrassment, the same user creates another one and even admits that it's breaking the rules but that the issue is "more important" than the rules, and all that happens is another warning? 

Also as the last few pages have shown, for moderation to work it must be seen to be working. The lack of posting by the moderators give the impression that they either consider the posts acceptable or they don't care. As Lyonsden says, how are we to know the original post was left as an example if we are not told?

As a side note, I have been asked by the moderators to remove/change my avatar. I'm curious as to what will happen if I don't - will I just be asked again, and again? 

Edit: I just want everyone to know, I have NOT removed my avatar. It has obviously been done "on my behalf". 
 Last edited: by northbloke
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAntares
United States Posts: 599
Posted:
Quoting northbloke:
Quote:
As a side note, I have been asked by the moderators to remove/change my avatar. I'm curious as to what will happen if I don't - will I just be asked again, and again? 

Edit: I just want everyone to know, I have NOT removed my avatar. It has obviously been done "on my behalf". 

This is complete bull-sh*t!!!!

There was absolutely nothing wrong or offensive with your avatar.

It definitely shows that a certain someone here has his butt wiped on a daily basis.
 Last edited: by Antares
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsamuelrichardscott
United Kingdom Posts: 2,650
Posted:
Quoting northbloke:
Quote:

Wow.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
United States Posts: 3,475
Posted:
Quoting northbloke:
Quote:

The removal of anyone's avatar is unacceptable and should be immediately be reinstated. It did not violate any rules and its removal is uncalled for.  Shame on invelos for doing this.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAlien Redrum
Proudly blocked by liars.
United States Posts: 1,656
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting northbloke:
Quote:
I was keeping out of this, but I've got to lend my support to Lyonsden. Less than a week after everyone is warned that those types of threads are a form of harrassment, the same user creates another one and even admits that it's breaking the rules but that the issue is "more important" than the rules, and all that happens is another warning? 

Also as the last few pages have shown, for moderation to work it must be seen to be working. The lack of posting by the moderators give the impression that they either consider the posts acceptable or they don't care. As Lyonsden says, how are we to know the original post was left as an example if we are not told?

So someone who mocks moderation, has no respect for the forum members and Ken himself, is responsible for lost sales for Invelos and takes glee in running off well loved members = OKAY.

Someone who has an avatar that above person doesn't like = BAD.

Glad the priorities for the forum are in check. 
Reviewer, HorrorTalk.com

"I also refuse to document CLT results and I pay my bills to avoid going to court." - Sam, keeping it real, yo.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVibroCount
The Truth is Silly Putty
United States Posts: 5,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Could someone PM me with a description or a copy of the banned avatar? I missed it and I dislike censorship. I do not expect anyone to risk banannation to post it, but surely someone could PM me (or even email me) with what was so evil as to be forcefully extracted.
If it wasn't for bad taste, I wouldn't have no taste at all.

Cliff
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:

The removal of anyone's avatar is unacceptable and should be immediately be reinstated. It did not violate any rules and its removal is uncalled for.  Shame on invelos for doing this.

I have to agree with you on this. There was no reasons to remove the avatar at all, it was not against the forum rules at all. Unless an evil Walt Disney is now highly offensive... So now we aren't permitted to make a point with our avatar? Good that I have remove mine who was against your anti-adult politics.

Completly ridiculous and you (you being Invelos, not Kathy of course) certainly own a public apology to Northbloke for this unfounded unilateral decision
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 23 24 25 26 27 ...33  Previous   Next