Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2 3  Previous   Next
Poll: Opening DVD's
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorwhispering
On ne passe pas!
Finland Posts: 1,380
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I only open US DVD's right when i get them, cause those always have insane amount of security stickers. I wonder why the dont give online stores ones that only have the plastic wrapping, cause you cant really steal from them.
 Last edited: by whispering
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
United States Posts: 17,330
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
As soon as I get them they are opened. Not only because there could be a problem (#1 reason)... but I also can't help but to find out what the disc looks like... if there is an image on it or what not. I just can't stand the idea of not knowing what is in the case or what is not.  For me it is almost a sickness. I must...

1. open the case(s)
2. put into dvd profiler
3. Announce what I got on all the forums/email lists I am on.

Like I said... it is a sickness for me!   
Pete
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantkahless
TaH pagh taHbe'!
Germany Posts: 17,804
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I open them asap and check for damage and completeness before entering in dvd profiler. With some tv series I had the problem that one disk was missing and one disc was a dublicate instead. Experienced with ER, Columbo (twice!) and Dark Angel.
Thorsten
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKatatonia
Retired Profiler
United States Posts: 20,111
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting whispering:
Quote:
I only open US DVD's right when i get them, cause those always have insane amount of security stickers. I wonder why the dont give online stores ones that only have the plastic wrapping, cause you cant really steal from them.

I hate security stickers. And often they'll be pushed too high or low in the case and stuck onto the coverart. I've found this to be the best way of dealing with that...

Slice open the security sticker in the middle where the actual keepcase would open. A good X-acto or box cutter blade works well.

Now pull the security sticker up from sticking to the actual keepcase, but do not try to pry it loose from its stubborn sticking to the coverart yet.

Grab the coverart underneath from the opposite end of the case. With your other hand then hold the security sticker "tops" at the other end which is still stuck onto the coverart.

Now pull the coverart gently (underneath remember) from the opposite end and gently and slowly pull while firmly holding on to the security sticker which is stuck onto the coverart at the other end.

It will then usually cause the security sticker to come loose from the cover without even damaging or ripping it, or at the very least minimizing the damage almost every time.

That's the best I can think of to explain the method without being able to actually demonstrate it, but it works great for those stubborn stickers wrongly impregnating the coverart!
Corey
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorVoltaire53
Missed again!
United Kingdom Posts: 2,293
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
You missed whether we put them into Profiler before opening them or after
It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I chose "when I'm ready to watch" even though, as you can see here this may lead to the loss of some money.
They are profiled the minute they arrive though and then go to the "unviewed" - pile (which isn't to high usually)
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMatt788
Netherlands Posts: 87
Posted:
I voted 'I open them as soon as I get them home'. This applies to all dvd's i buy which are sealed. Sometimes the dvd is not sealed (I always ask for a sealed dvd, but they do not always have this) and i check them right away in the store.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
Quoting LJG:
Quote:
I'll wait to open them (though they get entered into profiler even before getting into their resting spot).  I have to admit, that I need to stop doing that though.  I'm getting burned on that right now, kind of.  I bought a TV series last summer and just got time to watch it now and the 2nd and 3rd disc (out of 3) are defective and unwatchable.  Of course, the store is out of them and can't order from their distributor (I hate Best Buy), so I have to wait until they get them back in which could be months.

If the store is out of stock, demand your money back, and then order it from an online source like Amazon or DeepDiscount.  You shouldn't have to sit on it on the possibility of BB getting more stock in maybe.
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
Posted:
Quoting whispering:
Quote:

Its easier for the manufacturers to only have to produce one type of packaging.  If they make them all security sealed, then they can ship to anybody without having to worry about what type of package it is.
John

Reg. Jan 27, 2002
Posted:
Quoting Katatonia:
Quote:
Quoting whispering:
Quote:

I hate security stickers. And often they'll be pushed too high or low in the case and stuck onto the coverart. I've found this to be the best way of dealing with that...

Slice open the security sticker in the middle where the actual keepcase would open. A good X-acto or box cutter blade works well.

Now pull the security sticker up from sticking to the actual keepcase, but do not try to pry it loose from its stubborn sticking to the coverart yet.

Grab the coverart underneath from the opposite end of the case. With your other hand then hold the security sticker "tops" at the other end which is still stuck onto the coverart.

Now pull the coverart gently (underneath remember) from the opposite end and gently and slowly pull while firmly holding on to the security sticker which is stuck onto the coverart at the other end.

It will then usually cause the security sticker to come loose from the cover without even damaging or ripping it, or at the very least minimizing the damage almost every time.

That's the best I can think of to explain the method without being able to actually demonstrate it, but it works great for those stubborn stickers wrongly impregnating the coverart!

What type of security sticker are you referring to?  The black plastic bar thingy with the metal strip inside?  I've never seen a DVD with one of those on the OUTside of the keepcase.  If you are referring to the clear tape type of security seal that is often around each edge, those are not that tough to get off.

Run a box knife or Xacto blade down the split between cases covers on all three sides (assuming 3 stickers).  Open the case, then carefully peel each half of a sticker up off the edge of the case and then SLOWLY pull it straight away from the face of the cover (90 deg. to the surface).  If part of the cover art is sticking up and is under the sticker, a tiny drop Goo-Gone on the sticky part of the tape will usually looosen it without tearing the paper art.  If any stickum is left behind on the plastic cover you can usually get that by lightly sticking a piece of heavy cellophane tape over the residue and then zipping it quickly off as if you were 'waxing' the cover.  Its been several hundred DVDs since I had one ruined when removing those stickers using the above method.

Its also a good idea to keep several spare keepcases on hand for those rare occasions when a case is damaged beyond use from shipping, etc.
John

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLJG
United States Posts: 950
Posted:
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
If the store is out of stock, demand your money back, and then order it from an online source like Amazon or DeepDiscount.  You shouldn't have to sit on it on the possibility of BB getting more stock in maybe.

I would have, and to be honest, they did offer, however, I got it on sale for half price and they weren't willing to match the sale price if I were to order it online, so I'd end up spending an extra 20 bucks b/c they are "unable" to order from their distributer.

Lori
Lori
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
I verify the UPC against my "On Order" list, then, either move it to "Owned" if the UPC is correct or delete it if incorrect and re-enter it in my "Owned" list with the correct UPC.

I then load each disc into my PCs DVD drive, and delete whatever Disc ID is in the current profile and replace it with the Disc ID on the physical disc.  This includes child profiles if they are available.

If I have time, I audit the profile right away, otherwise it gets placed on the shelf for future viewing/profiling.
Hal
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKatatonia
Retired Profiler
United States Posts: 20,111
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
What type of security sticker are you referring to?  The black plastic bar thingy with the metal strip inside?  I've never seen a DVD with one of those on the OUTside of the keepcase.  If you are referring to the clear tape type of security seal that is often around each edge, those are not that tough to get off.

I was talking about the clear security stickers on the OUTSIDE of the case, and I think whispering was too by their comment of "insane amount of security stickers".

I don't usually even mess with or care about the metal strips inside the case.
Corey
 Last edited: by Katatonia
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorRunmovies
The Crow, the Culte
Belgium Posts: 2,640
Posted:
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
As soon as I get them they are opened. Not only because there could be a problem (#1 reason)... but I also can't help but to find out what the disc looks like... if there is an image on it or what not. I just can't stand the idea of not knowing what is in the case or what is not.

1. open the case(s)
2. put into dvd profiler
blockquote/]

Same problem 
My collection
 Last edited: by Runmovies
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorRunmovies
The Crow, the Culte
Belgium Posts: 2,640
Posted:
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
As soon as I get them they are opened. Not only because there could be a problem (#1 reason)... but I also can't help but to find out what the disc looks like... if there is an image on it or what not.

1. open the case(s)
2. put into dvd profiler

Same problem 

Sorry got a problem with quote, It's a New Near you know, 
My collection
 Last edited: by Runmovies
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorjadedoz2007
Australia Posts: 263
Posted:
DVD's that I have bought off the web I open up straight away to check that they havnt been damaged in the post. But ones I get from the shop I will only open up when its time to watch it or to scann the cover for the database.
    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2 3  Previous   Next