Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 17 18 19 20 21 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDoubleDownAgain
I see better with 'em on
Canada Posts: 1,272
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
That is good in theory Danae, but not very realistic.  A simpler solution exists, but for whatever  reason it doesn't appear that will ever happen.
HDTV: 52" Toshiba Regza 52XV545U  AVR: Onkyo TR-707
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 v6, CC-190 & Atom Monitors  Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 800
BD/DVD: Oppo BDP-93 (Region Free)  HD PVR: Motorola DXC3400 500GB w/ 1TB Expander
BD/DVD/Game: 250GB PS3 Slim DVD/Game: 250GB XBox 360 Elite Special Edition (Black) Game: Wii
Remote: Logitech Harmony One w/ PS3 Adapter WHS: Acer H341 Windows Home Server
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Good suggestion Danae

Why losing our time by argumenting when someone who insult you on the forum. I always used the PM way when the argument is problematic and most often than not it's the best solution since you don't have to tell everyone you were wrong publicly this way.

But like everyone, I fall in the argument trap also but I try my best to not go personal and insulting (I don't think a single one of my post was moderated). It's not that hard and it's better for the heart
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorPantheon
United Kingdom Posts: 1,819
Posted:
Quoting AESP_pres:
Quote:
I don't think a single one of my post was moderated). It's not that hard and it's better for the heart

Exactly!!!

I too have never had a post moderated.

The way I look at it is this: If you've had one of your posts moderate then it is YOU who has the problem; not those around you.
YOU are the one who said something that was against the rules or offensive etc.

To me it's not brain surgery to figure out that if this happens a lot then the individual should examine their conduct in these forums and make whatever adjustments need to be made to improve the situation.
However, the above logic can only be applied if you are not an ego-maniacal sociopath with delusions of grandeur.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Pantheon:
Quote:

However, the above logic can only be applied if you are not an ego-maniacal sociopath with delusions of grandeur.

Ahhhh...there's the rub! 
Hal
 Last edited: by hal9g
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
United States Posts: 3,475
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I was sent an email recently that I thought was interesting: "Most problems result from machines that fail to work and people who fail to think."

I would like to suggest that we forget any past indiscretions. Starting now, every one of us strive to be better.

I know that this will take time and effort on the part of the community. It is difficult to put aside anger, resentment and hurt. But, the results will make the forums a better place.

I offer one of my favorite mantra's that might help achieve this goal: "I can not change the behavior of others...I can only change the way I react to them."
 Last edited: by Kathy
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCharlieM
Registered Sept 5 2005
United States Posts: 2,934
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
“Anger, in itself, is not best viewed as bad or wrong. It is simply another state of mind that arises in reaction to circumstances,”... “It is natural to feel angry at times … but we need to understand how anger functions and how it affects us, not condemn ourselves for feeling it.” Sharon Salzberg

Once I understand how it affects me and how it functions, then I can deal with it in a appropriate manner.

Buddhism teaches us this
 Last edited: by CharlieM
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
Profiling since Dec. 2000
Netherlands Posts: 8,669
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
"I can not change the behavior of others...I can only change the way I react to them."

We can't change the behaviour of others, no. Invelos, however, does have the means to at least try to accomplish some change here.
I see better with 'em on
Posted:
Agreed T!M, while I respect and understand the sentiment Katy and others are expressing I find it amusing that the community as a whole should make an effort based on the actions of one individual.  While this certain individual is at the center of the storm, I also think people should also try and take they high road when encountering inflammatory posts.  I don't agree that people should be ignore the post when being baited or attacked, but simply acknowledge the poor behavior without giving in to the urge to respond in kind. 

I also haven't had my posts directly edited, I believe I've quoted others who had their posts edited which resulted in mine being edited as well.
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 v6, CC-190 & Atom Monitors  Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 800
BD/DVD: Oppo BDP-93 (Region Free)  HD PVR: Motorola DXC3400 500GB w/ 1TB Expander
BD/DVD/Game: 250GB PS3 Slim DVD/Game: 250GB XBox 360 Elite Special Edition (Black) Game: Wii
Registered Sept 5 2005
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting DoubleDownAgain:
Quote:
Agreed T!M, while I respect and understand the sentiment Katy and others are expressing I find it amusing that the community as a whole should make an effort based on the actions of one individual.  While this certain individual is at the center of the storm, I also think people should also try and take they high road when encountering inflammatory posts.  I don't agree that people should be ignore the post when being baited or attacked, but simply acknowledge the poor behavior without giving in to the urge to respond in kind. 

I also haven't had my posts directly edited, I believe I've quoted others who had their posts edited which resulted in mine being edited as well.

Trust me, this is not about one individual.  There are a number of people that participate in the baiting and arguing in the forums.  The problem that I have with a number of people, is putting the blame for all the ills of the forums onto 1 person....
I see better with 'em on
Posted:
That is probably true, and everyone should be accountable for their own actions.  I'd agree that putting it all on one poster would be unfair and inaccurate.  But I'd say it'd be fair to say that a good portion of the problem lies with one user, I think many of the inflammatory posts are of others tie in directly or indirectly with the one user.  That isn't giving them a free pass as in the end everyone should be accountable for their own actions.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any real repercussions for behaving poorly.  Just yesterday a poster violated the rules, and openly mocked them and all that happened was being told not to do it and the thread being closed.  Until the time there is a deterrent for this type of behavior it will continue to occur.  As it is now you can pretty much say anything you want and the worst that will happen is having your posts removed.  IMO the only way to fix the problem is to have a system in place to deal with unacceptable behavior, until such time things aren't going to change.  I've also read that they'd like a permanent ban which I also don't agree with.  You can't have zero discipline and then come down with something that dramatic.  Just have a system in place and the same rules for everyone and the forum would improve immediately.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVibroCount
The Truth is Silly Putty
United States Posts: 5,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
All I know is that I had a star. One poster made statements which I (and many others) felt were racist. The day after I called the poster on the racist statements, I lost my star, and it has never returned.

This site condones the terrible behavior of this poster and punishes anyone who calls the poster on the evil behavior.

Or is there another possibility I am missing?
If it wasn't for bad taste, I wouldn't have no taste at all.

Cliff
Registered Sept 5 2005
Posted:
Quoting DoubleDownAgain:
Quote:
That is probably true, and everyone should be accountable for their own actions.  I'd agree that putting it all on one poster would be unfair and inaccurate.  But I'd say it'd be fair to say that a good portion of the problem lies with one user, I think many of the inflammatory posts are of others tie in directly or indirectly with the one user.  That isn't giving them a free pass as in the end everyone should be accountable for their own actions.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any real repercussions for behaving poorly.  Just yesterday a poster violated the rules, and openly mocked them and all that happened was being told not to do it and the thread being closed.  Until the time there is a deterrent for this type of behavior it will continue to occur.  As it is now you can pretty much say anything you want and the worst that will happen is having your posts removed.  IMO the only way to fix the problem is to have a system in place to deal with unacceptable behavior, until such time things aren't going to change.  I've also read that they'd like a permanent ban which I also don't agree with.  You can't have zero discipline and then come down with something that dramatic.  Just have a system in place and the same rules for everyone and the forum would improve immediately.

But who do you discipline.  Obviously the original poster, but what about the people that went in and knowingly continued the bad behavior.

With my children, it does matter who started it, but if they all participate, then they all receive a punishment.  While you try to espouse one person, the people responding angrily, and continuing the discussion for 10 pages are just as guilty in my mind.

The problem that people have here, is they think that they must respond in kind to any perceived insult.  That response in itself is also bad behavior.

If you want it to stop, then you must also stop.  If you read a post that is, to you offensive, then flag it with red and don't respond in kind.  My mother used to say, "it takes 2 to Tango".  It is really hard to have a heated argument with yourself.

Charlie
 Last edited: by CharlieM
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
Quoting CharlieM:
Quote:

Trust me, this is not about one individual.  There are a number of people that participate in the baiting and arguing in the forums.

+1
Exactly it isn't better to provoke one user because you want to see him banned.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
United States Posts: 17,330
Posted:
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:
All I know is that I had a star. One poster made statements which I (and many others) felt were racist. The day after I called the poster on the racist statements, I lost my star, and it has never returned.

This site condones the terrible behavior of this poster and punishes anyone who calls the poster on the evil behavior.

Or is there another possibility I am missing?

Well... I don't know the situation... but the only thing I could possibly think of is...

Was this back when the red arrows effected your stars? (now all they do is let mods know of the posts) If so it is possible that if you called the poster out in a bad way... calling names and such that both you and the poster that many thought were racist got the (or multiple) red arrows. If this was back when the red arrows effected your stars that could explain how you lost your star. And if the other poster had no star to loose then it didn't look to effect his rating (though we were told it did behind the scenes).

I am not saying that this is the case with you... but I have seen people call people out in a bad way where it made me give red arrows to both people (the bad poster as well as the person that called them out) as for me when it comes to name calling that is an instant red arrow from me no matter who the poster is or why they name called (retaliation or not).
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
United States Posts: 17,330
Posted:
Quoting AESP_pres:
Quote:
Quoting CharlieM:
Quote:

Trust me, this is not about one individual.  There are a number of people that participate in the baiting and arguing in the forums.

+1
Exactly it isn't better to provoke one user because you want to see him banned.

agree
Pete
I see better with 'em on
Posted:
Quoting CharlieM:
Quote:
Quoting DoubleDownAgain:
Quote:

But who do you discipline.  Obviously the original poster, but what about the people that went in and knowingly continued the bad behavior.

With my children, it does matter who started it, but if they all participate, then they all receive a punishment.  While you try to espouse one person, the people responding angrily, and continuing the discussion for 10 pages are just as guilty in my mind.

The problem that people have here, is they think that they must respond in kind to any perceived insult.  That response in itself is also bad behavior.

If you want it to stop, then you must also stop.  If you read a post that is, to you offensive, then flag it with red and don't respond in kind.  My mother used to say, "it takes 2 two Tango".  It is really hard to have a heated argument with yourself.

Charlie

I agree with many of your points but I think you can respond to an attack without attacking back.  All I'm suggesting is that the site is moderated in an active and consistent manner.  Flagging it with red doesn't do any good so why even bother?  It will continue to be a problem, whether it's one user or many, until something is done about it.

If a system is in place to deal with it then both people should face the consequences of their actions regardless of who started it.
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 17 18 19 20 21 ...33  Previous   Next