Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 15 16 17 18 19 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBattling Butler
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
HD DVD's organized "buy" days has successfully created a spike in Amazon.com sales

The organized buy has temporarily pushed Planet Earth in the top 5 sales and boosted all the HD DVD sales up past Blu-ray on Amazon.

Congrats! 

AcS ..... NOBODY CARES!  Please stop posting useless "stats", conjectures and your pet theory of the world.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorschultzy
Xbox Live: squeekyfoot
United States Posts: 550
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting schultzy:
Quote:
I don't own either, but have thought of purchasing some of the dual format HD DVDs because they have standard DVD on one side.  Same movie and if I go to HD DVD I don't have to buy the movie again.

True.  But if HD DVD is no longer around or near death, you just flushed $12 per title down the toilet! 

Quote:
I have also realized that neither format (HD DVD or Blu-ray) has enough titles out that I am interested in buying anyways.  And by the time they have the movies out I want, I can afford a player and the HD TV to make it even worth buying, my grandkids will be arguing about what virtual reality format is better 

It's ok.  I flush lots of money away... it's what happened when I got a GF

But you are right.  If I buy the combo today and can watch it without a HD DVD player and HD DVD goes away, I can still watch my movie.  Can the same thing be said if Blu Ray disappears
Schultzy - http://www.michaelschultz.net
grenactics - The art of skillfully fraggin one’s opponent with the use of grenades or other compact explosive devices that are thrown by hand or projected.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:
And, once again to put that pie chart in perspective, comparing HD DVD & Blu-Ray sales in comparision to the entire market:

See that red slice at the top? That's HD DVD.

See that cyan slice at the top, just to the right of the magena slice? That's Blu-Ray.

See the yellow (with the red and the cyan)? That's the entire market.

See how obvious Blu-Ray is trouncing HD DVD?

No?

Oh....

That is not the HD market.  That's the current video market.  If you think that is making a point, then why is HD DVD dead in Japan without most of your pie being consumed by Blu-ray.  At the very least, that should let you know that the large part of your pie really has nothing to do with HD DVD vs Blu-ray.  Maybe you just didn't see that fact.

Here is usually where some people get really self-righteous about the US and say that other countries don't matter.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting Battling Butler:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
HD DVD's organized "buy" days has successfully created a spike in Amazon.com sales

The organized buy has temporarily pushed Planet Earth in the top 5 sales and boosted all the HD DVD sales up past Blu-ray on Amazon.

Congrats! 

AcS ..... NOBODY CARES!  Please stop posting useless "stats", conjectures and your pet theory of the world.

Maybe you didn't notice, but this thread is about Blu-ray and HD DVD.  That means if you don't care, THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THIS THREAD!  It's just that simple.  Geez.

So, I guess you won't be back in this thread, right?
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgraymadder
United States Posts: 103
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:
And, once again to put that pie chart in perspective, comparing HD DVD & Blu-Ray sales in comparision to the entire market:

See that cyan slice at the top, just to the right of the magena slice? That's Blu-Ray.

No?

Oh....

That is not the HD market.  That's the current video market.  If you think that is making a point, then why is HD DVD dead in Japan without most of your pie being consumed by Blu-ray.  At the very least, that should let you know that the large part of your pie really has nothing to do with HD DVD vs Blu-ray.  Maybe you just didn't see that fact.

Here is usually where some people get really self-righteous about the US and say that other countries don't matter.

But Japan does not dictate the US market. What's big in japan(no song reference) may not be so in the US or the rest of the world.*

Analogy: Soccer and American Football.**

*The author of said statement does not imply one is better than the other. Just a point
**The author believes that nobody should buy either format until there is ONE & ONE HD format only. Don't support them because they sure as hell don't support you otherwise there would be one format.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantCalidain
You're no Daisy at all!
Posted:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:

**The author believes that nobody should buy either format until there is ONE & ONE HD format only. Don't support them because they sure as hell don't support you otherwise there would be one format.

Well said, I have been arguing that since this formt war began!!!  I believe that if the market boycots this war, maybe just maybe these idiots will figure out that the consumers are sick and tired of this crap, and then perhaps SONY and TOSHIBA will discontinue this spitting contest!!!
My Collection!!!
 Last edited: by Calidain
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbob9000
safety word?
Canada Posts: 844
Posted:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:

Maybe you didn't notice, but this thread is about Blu-ray and HD DVD.  That means if you don't care, THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THIS THREAD!  It's just that simple.  Geez.

So, I guess you won't be back in this thread, right?

Dude, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THIS FORUM. At least not until you stop swinging those smug, self-obsessed, self-righteous opinions around, bludgeoning the other members with tedious, mind-numbing, repetitive and oh-so-slanted 'facts' that prove nothing. No one has ever evinced the least little interest in anything you have to say, whay don't you get that?

And for the record, the point that VibroCount was trying to make (if I am not mistaken) was that until HD DVD OR Blu Ray garnish a FAR FAR greater chunk of that Home Video Pie, then they are both equally irrelevant and an argument cannot possibly be made for the race being over...or even a the first lap being over for that matter. The potential finish line for this race is the whole pie, and so far between them they have what? 1%, 2%? NO ONE IS WINNING AND NO ONE IS GONNA WIN FOR YEARS. Do you seriously intend to be camping here irritating each and every member of this forum until the rece is done? 5 years from now when that pie is split 60/40 for one or the other, are you still going to be here touting Blu Ray like a pusher who is behind on his payments to his supplier?

Seriously man, take a break. And give us one. Sheeeesh. 

And while you are sitting back giving us a break from your rants and diatribes, why donlt you contribute to this forum and program in a MEANINGFUL way. I don't think I have EVER seen a single DVD contribution from you....I don't think think I have even seen you vote. Go do that for awhile instead of bugging the crap out of everyone who reads the 'tedium in a can' you call being informative.
 Last edited: by bob9000
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting schultzy:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting schultzy:
Quote:
I don't own either, but have thought of purchasing some of the dual format HD DVDs because they have standard DVD on one side.  Same movie and if I go to HD DVD I don't have to buy the movie again.

True.  But if HD DVD is no longer around or near death, you just flushed $12 per title down the toilet! 

Quote:
I have also realized that neither format (HD DVD or Blu-ray) has enough titles out that I am interested in buying anyways.  And by the time they have the movies out I want, I can afford a player and the HD TV to make it even worth buying, my grandkids will be arguing about what virtual reality format is better 

It's ok.  I flush lots of money away... it's what happened when I got a GF

But you are right.  If I buy the combo today and can watch it without a HD DVD player and HD DVD goes away, I can still watch my movie.  Can the same thing be said if Blu Ray disappears

No.  The same thing can not be said IF Blu-ray disappears.  But, you won't be able to even see MOST HD DVD title movies on HD DVD combo in the first place.  On top of that, the movie you already would have on Blu-ray are still playable.  Therefore, you would have lost nothing going back (except the 12.5% share of major studio movies that Universal has), but only lost the ability to increase your future titles on Blu-ray.  Plus, depending on how many HD DVD combos you would have bought, you could have saved enough money to buy whatever format player was next (or buy you a bunch of titles in whatever format) by buying Blu-ray instead.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:

No?

Oh....

But Japan does not dictate the US market. What's big in japan(no song reference) may not be so in the US or the rest of the world.*

Analogy: Soccer and American Football.**

*The author of said statement does not imply one is better than the other. Just a point

Then, another chart needs to be presented.  If I'm not mistaken (based on this), that is a WORLD chart of the DVD market...not just the US.  That would therefore make Japan a part of this.  If their HD war could be won while the only being less than 1% of the total market, why can't it be done in the US?  That is why I try to keep people from comparing the HD market to the total DVD market.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
 Last edited: by Ascended_Saiyan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVibroCount
The Truth is Silly Putty
United States Posts: 5,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
When, decades ago, Beta was waging war against VHS, and as few as 880 prerecorded tapes would place a title among the top 10 sellers in a given week, Beta was selling far more copies of their titles than VHS -- by a margin greater than Blu-Ray is currently over HD DVD.

Today, at these quantities, a single disc selling 1000 copies in a week blows the entire HD market wide open.

A_S stats are meaningless in the market, which is owned 99.3% by standard DVDs. If the wealth of the entire world was a total of $100.00, then HD DVD and Blu-Ray would be fighting over $0.70. The impact on worldwide economy is negligible.

Head to head means zero when you haven't sold squat!
If it wasn't for bad taste, I wouldn't have no taste at all.

Cliff
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting Calidain:
Quote:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:

Well said, I having arguing that since this formt war began!!!  I believe that if the market boycots this war, maybe just maybe these idiots will figure out that the consumers are sick and tired of this crap, and then perhaps SONY and TOSHIBA will discontinue this spitting contest!!!

I believe this war would have been over by now if it wasn't for MS.  MS goal seems to be geared towards keeping the format war going until they can try to get downloadable content pushed.  MS hints that they don't believe in HD DVD as a format.  Here is a quote from that article.
Quote:
...said Peter von Schlossberg, executive vice president and general manager, On Broadband Networks. “We’ve been able to design and build the service in a fraction of the time and cost of other similar ventures, largely because of Microsoft’s commitment to driving this effort forward.

In the last issue of Game Informer, there were a few questions about the Xbox 360 Elite to an anonymous MS employee.

One question went like this:

Why wasn't HD-DVD included on this new flagship 360?

The answer: "The format isn't proven yet."

So, the next question you have to ask yourself is why would they put dollars behind something they don't really believe in in the first place?

I think everyone that wants 1080p movies should just jump in and buy whatever format is leading by the holiday season.  That way we can ALL enjoy the best 1080p titles can offer.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:
When, decades ago, Beta was waging war against VHS, and as few as 880 prerecorded tapes would place a title among the top 10 sellers in a given week, Beta was selling far more copies of their titles than VHS -- by a margin greater than Blu-Ray is currently over HD DVD.

Today, at these quantities, a single disc selling 1000 copies in a week blows the entire HD market wide open.

A_S stats are meaningless in the market, which is owned 99.3% by standard DVDs. If the wealth of the entire world was a total of $100.00, then HD DVD and Blu-Ray would be fighting over $0.70. The impact on worldwide economy is negligible.

It mattered in Japan.

You are trying to tell me that stats are meaningless, yet, you provide a graph based on stats.  Then, you repeat stats to me in the post I am responding to now.  Doesn't that seem a bit strange to you?
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVibroCount
The Truth is Silly Putty
United States Posts: 5,635
Posted:
When the stats are based on less than 1% of total market share, then comparing them is meaningless! If we were to abandon VHS equipment when videotapes were selling as low as HD discs are, then Beta would have won.

It didn't.

I think you're trying to manipulate market, not offer good advice.

Today, your stats are so trivial that they contain zero content.

When Beta disappeared, video tape was big. HD disc sales need to grow dramatically for your stats to mean anything.

Because MS is correct. Downloadable content will kill this disc market before either gets into enough homes to count. And, in the meantime, it is their job to keep disc sales divided and low and for them to carry a portion of it. Makes good business sense to me, unlike Sony's attitude toward the world over the past three decades.
If it wasn't for bad taste, I wouldn't have no taste at all.

Cliff
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:

It mattered in Japan.

You are trying to tell me that stats are meaningless, yet, you provide a graph based on stats.  Then, you repeat stats to me in the post I am responding to now.  Doesn't that seem a bit strange to you?

Nobody gives a rat's *ss what matters in Japan.  How many times do you have to be told Japan doesn't dictate the US market?
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting VibroCount:
Quote:
When the stats are based on less than 1% of total market share, then comparing them is meaningless! If we were to abandon VHS equipment when videotapes were selling as low as HD discs are, then Beta would have won.

It didn't.

I think you're trying to manipulate market, not offer good advice.

Beta and VHS was the beginning of the video market.  There was no market to compare it to was there?  It was just a battle between the 2 formats.  Think about it for a minute, that format war ended way before the market hit the kind of saturated numbers you are trying to say these two HD formats (specifically Blu-ray since their numbers are higher) need to reach to be considered as meaningless.  Why would it not be meaningless for the Betamax vs. VHS war, but meaningless for the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray war?  That's not very consist. 

Quote:
When Beta disappeared, video tape was big. HD disc sales need to grow dramatically for your stats to mean anything.

I guess breaking a record set by DVD (the very thing you keep comparing HD to) is not dramatic enough for you.  So you are willing to say DVD's numbers were impressive up to this point, but are not willing to acknowledge that Blu-ray is creating larger numbers than DVD during the same time span?  There are too many contradictions in the stats that you are willing to except.

Quote:
Because MS is correct. Downloadable content will kill this disc market before either gets into enough homes to count. And, in the meantime, it is their job to keep disc sales divided and low and for them to carry a portion of it. Makes good business sense to me, unlike Sony's attitude toward the world over the past three decades.

Downloadable content in the next few years is a pipe dream compared to what a HD format can bring within the next 5 to 15 years.

First, almost no TV on the planet has an ethernet jack.  People mainly watch TVs not computer monitors.  How many people would give up their TV size for a computer monitor?  It is crucial to at least have an ethernet connection on people's TV to even begin to take off.

Secondly, the network infrastructure is minimal at best.  People would need to have at least 36Mbps (HD DVD bandwidth limit) to provide a 1080p experience to people.  We usually adopt things that takes our experiences forward.  To download anything less than what current technology provides us would be a step backwards...not progress.  1080p Video-on-Demand services (cause most new sets sold in the future will be 1080p) would make a lot more sense within that time period.

Finally, ease of implementation is key.  Downloads at certain speeds depends on what's in the ground in much the same way as being able to get satellite or having to get cable (due to location).  That infrastructure issue will not be solved in the next 5 years for sure.  This is not the issue with the current formats in front of us now.  Anyone with the cash can pick up a HDTV and HD player and basically go anywhere in their respective countries and order/watch HD titles.

The government takes back their airwaves in 2009.  HDTV sales would have grown to a massive number.  Most of those owners will be looking for HD movie content.  So, for a company to think that they can keep the adoption rate of physical HD content that low for so long is at best a delusion, IMO.

IMO, after Blu-ray it will be more plausible for downloadable 1080p movie content.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
Nobody gives a rat's *ss what matters in Japan.  How many times do you have to be told Japan doesn't dictate the US market?

Let me break this down.

If the HD formats have less than 1% of the WORLDWIDE DVD market and yet in Japan Blu-ray has won the HD format war, then the same thing can happen here. 

This should be clear enough to understand now.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 15 16 17 18 19 ...168  Previous   Next