Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 158 159 160 161 162 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgardibolt
digitally Obsessed
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks for the tip about the BOGO, Patsa.  +1 rep for you.    I wish there were more Universal titles listed though---I have nearly all of Warner's output already.  Still scored some discs super cheap with the 10% buyer discount and free shipping on top of it.
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorNexus the Sixth
Contributor since 2002
Sweden Posts: 3,192
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Yep, I have the same problem. The problem is not the format war, the problem is finding enough HD titles worth buying! Recent blockbusters are nice, but I want to see more classics and catalog titles released.
First registered: February 15, 2002
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgardibolt
digitally Obsessed
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Same here.  The new Kubrick discs were a godsend.
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVega
United States Posts: 585
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Best Buy is having a BOGO starting this Sunday (Dec 16).  I'm not sure if it's the one day only or if it's all week.  It appears to be for both a select number of HD DVD and BD titles (surprisingly including some brand new releases).

-edit-
Found a list of titles:

$29.99 Each (unless marked otherwise) :

The Bourne Ultimatum HD-DVD
Blades Of Glory HD-DVD
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry HD-DVD
Knocked Up: Unrated HD-DVD
Disturbia HD-DVD
Mr. Bean’s Holiday HD-DVD
Shrek The Third HD-DVD
Evan Almighty HD-DVD
Transformers HD-DVD
Harry Potter & Order Of The Phoenix HD-DVD >>>> $32.99
The Departed HD-DVD >>>> $34.99
Shooter HD-DVD >>>> $34.99
Ocean’s Thirteen HD-DVD >>>> $34.99
300 HD-DVD >>>> $34.99

Crank Blu-Ray
300 Blu-Ray
28 Weeks Later Blu-Ray
Spider-man 3 Blu-Ray
The Condemned Blu-Ray
Hostel: Part II Blu-Ray
Ocean’s Thirteen Blu-Ray
Underworld: Evolution Blu-Ray
The Departed Blu-Ray
SAW III Blu-Ray
Harry Potter & Order Of The Phoenix Blu-Ray >>>> $32.99
Mr. Brooks Blu-Ray >>>> $34.99
Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer Blu-Ray >>>> $34.99
Mr. & Mrs. Smith Blu-Ray >>>> $34.99
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
 Last edited: by Vega
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgraymadder
United States Posts: 103
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
I have a couple of questions regarding HD tv's. I have a relative that is looking to buy a new tv and they want to get a hidef set with hopes of going with HD-DVD/Blu-ray shortly after they get the set. I too will be buying a tv after the new year so I am begining my research. So i get a trial run with their purchase. 

First Plasma is not an option that I would consider so it's LCD or projection. Leaning more towards LCD myself, but for my relative they like projection because of the larger sizes. So I need to do a little research into both LCD's and projection tvs.

1st question. Is 120hz technology worth getting or should it matter?

2nd. 24hz seems to be a smart way to go. I am assuming that 24hz and 24fps are the same thing. I have looked at a few sets and the only indication that i can tell  if they support this is if the signal it accepts is 60hz and 24hz. Am I right?

3rd. I am leaning towards Sony, although I am open to any other brands. Any thoughts on LCoS? The cost difference between a 50" LCoS and a 46" LCoS isn't that much different. about $700.

The high end Sony LCD's seem way pricey. I am looking to spend about 2500.

Thanks for any insight/exp that you people may have.
 Last edited: by graymadder
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks Vega!
Posted:
Gray, I can offer up some opinions but no real facts, but I'm sure the more knowledgable people will jump in.  So for what it's worth...

1.) Mostly a gimmick at this point.  From what I understand HDMI would be pretty hard pressed to try to fit 120Hz through the cable.  This might be an advantage if the user is going to be hooking their PC up to the TV, but really you're not going to notice a difference otherwise.  Only the highest of highend TVs and the highest of highend receivers even do this, so I'd advise to save the money and don't worry about this.  If they do end up getting a TV that supports this, don't stress too much about finding a receiver that does as well.  A normal 60Hz receiver will work just fine.

2.) Sort of.. 60Hz is the standard at the moment and a 1080P TV should be able to handle 24fps just fine.  I believe at 60Hz the TV has to do some kind of conversion or "pull down" or something to handle the 24fps but since this is by design I would imagine most cases you won't notice an issue.  The supposed advantage to your 1st question is that 120Hz is an equal division of 24 therefore nothing needs to be processed (or atleast, not as much) therefore you should have a smoother picture.  But again, I still find it hard to believe that a regular HDMI cable can handle that kind of bandwidth.  HDMI is speced to handle 1080p at 24fps at 60Hz along with the audio and then some wriggle room for future enhancements.  I might be wrong but I don't think that wriggle room is enough for a 120Hz signal (pure opinion based on light reading, some of the experts here may disagree).

3.) Got me here.  Been a while since I looked into TVs and my next purchase will likely be a projector.  I'm apparently enough out of touch because I have no idea what LCoS is.  There's another thread going on currently about the whole "is bigger better" theory as far a TV's go.  Obviously, since I'm thinking about a projector I lean towards the "bigger is better" side.  I want my whole wall to be my screen (you can't see me, but I'm smiling fiendishly while rubbing my hands together... my wife hates this look, by the way). 
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
 Last edited: by Vega
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantOverseer
Where's my damn statue?!
United States Posts: 175
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting pplchamp:
Quote:
LOL!

Quote:
Some owners of the 'Harry Potter Limited Edition Gift Set' are reporting that an HD DVD has infiltrated their Blu-ray packaging. Numerous reports are surfacing that owners of the Blu-ray set are finding HD DVD versions of "Goblet of Fire" or "The Order of the Phoenix" in their packaging. So if you picked up the set yesterday, or plan to pick one up soon, make sure to check all the discs for the Blu-ray logo.

Posted at blu-ray.com

That is kinda funny.  I just hope that I don't find a Blu-ray version in my HD DVD set as I'm giving it to my wife for Christmas. 
Gotta nip it in the bud, Andy!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Sold 160,000 Blu-ray and 8 Million DVD Copies First Week (w/o rental sales #s)

Quote:
DEC. 12 | Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End has sold about 8 million copies in North America during its first week on sale, according to multiple industry sources, helping to raise hopes for a strong December at retail.

The third installment of the Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment franchise, which streeted Dec. 4, appears to be running neck-and-neck with Transformers as the top fourth-quarter title in 2007. Paramount Home Entertainment reported that Transformers sold a little more than 8 million units in its first street week, but this figure included sales into the rental channel. The Pirates estimate only spans direct-to-consumer sell-through, add sources.

Disney execs declined comment.

Also, consumers sailed away with an estimated 160,000 Pirates Blu-ray copies, according to sources, another indication of the title’s strength, sources say. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment singled out Spider-Man 3 as its best Blu-ray seller to date, with 130,000 copies sold over its first six days on sale.

I believe that means Pirates 3 is the top one week HD seller for the year...followed by Spiderman 3 (Box set and single combined), according to the numbers provided by First Alert data.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
Posted:
Thought this was a bit of interesting news regarding Microsoft.

Quote:
Microsoft Corp. today announced the release of the Xbox 360 HD DVD Emulator, enabling film studios and disc authoring companies to model the behavior of HD DVD disc content, including encoded video and HDi interactivity, in a virtual environment before committing to burning a single HD DVD disc. This comprehensive tool is among the first commercially available, software-based solutions of its kind, eliminating the need for expensive hardware or time-consuming and costly trial-and-error processes for testing HD DVD titles, helping to ensure that titles ship error-free.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorNewEnglander
United States Posts: 1,911
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Vega:
Quote:
Thought this was a bit of interesting news regarding Microsoft.

Quote:
Microsoft Corp. today announced the release of the Xbox 360 HD DVD Emulator, enabling film studios and disc authoring companies to model the behavior of HD DVD disc content, including encoded video and HDi interactivity, in a virtual environment before committing to burning a single HD DVD disc. This comprehensive tool is among the first commercially available, software-based solutions of its kind, eliminating the need for expensive hardware or time-consuming and costly trial-and-error processes for testing HD DVD titles, helping to ensure that titles ship error-free.

I think the price for this was $2,999.99?
Signature banned: Reason out of date...
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
1st question. Is 120hz technology worth getting or should it matter?

2nd. 24hz seems to be a smart way to go. I am assuming that 24hz and 24fps are the same thing. I have looked at a few sets and the only indication that i can tell  if they support this is if the signal it accepts is 60hz and 24hz. Am I right?

These two are actually related.  120Hz is actually a very good thing because it means that the set will support 24fps (24 * 5 = 120) and 30fps (30 * 4 = 120) material.  Just be aware of what the TV will display.  There are a lot of sets out there (mine included) that will accept a 24Hz signal.  But some of them (like mine ) will do a 3:2 pulldown internally and display it at 30fps.  You want to make sure you get a set that will display it at 24fps.  I would guess something running at 120Hz should display things properly.  But as always, you should verify that.

If you really want to do some good research, head on over to AVSForum.

As for the fps vs. Hz thing, I'm no expert, but I think it's like this.  My TV runs at 60Hz.  That means if something is 30fps, it displays each frame twice to hit 60Hz (remember, Hz is cycles per second).  So the calculations above would be 24fps * each frame repeated 5 time = 120Hz.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
 Last edited: by Mark Harrison
Posted:
Quoting pplchamp:
Quote:
I think the price for this was $2,999.99?

Nope.. it's $2,999.00.. 

But if it does what it says it does I have to imagine the savings to a studio would be pretty significant.  $3k is like spare change found under a seat cushion for them.

I thought this quote was somewhat amusing:
Quote:
Setting up the Xbox 360 HD DVD Emulator simply requires establishing a connection to Xbox LIVE, navigating to the Download Games menu, and adding the Emulator software to the hard drive of the Xbox 360 console.

I wonder if you can use Points to make the purchase. 
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Highdefdigest.com
Quote:
Disc Sales: 'Pirates' Leads Blu-ray to Decisive Weekly Win Over HD DVD

Propelled by strong sales of 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End,' Blu-ray software sales topped HD DVD by more than a 3:1 margin for the week ending December 9, 2007.

As we reported earlier in the week, the latest 'Pirates' Blu-ray release is said to have moved 160,000 units in its first week. Although Disney has yet to confirm those numbers, last week's final Nielsen VideoScan numbers are now in, and they provide a bit more color on just how well 'At World's End' did.

Representing a commanding share of the marketplace, Captain Jack & company sold nearly three times as many units as its closest competitor (Sony's 'Superbad' Blu-ray) -- and almost eight times the week's top-selling HD DVD (BBC Video's 'Planet Earth' box set).

The strong showing for 'Pirates' helped Blu-ray turn in a decisive victory for the week, with the format accounting for a whopping 76% of total high-def disc sales.

With strong early sales reported for this week's HD DVD release of 'The Bourne Ultimatum,' all eyes are now on next week's numbers: what effect will the Matt Damon starrer on overall format sales in a week that's also seen the long-awaited dual-format debut of all five Harry Potter titles? Stay tuned...
Posted:
The following was posted over at DVD Talk's HD forum by BVHE-Rep:

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl Framing Issue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help speed up this replacement process, please go to the link below and complete the e-mail submission. Thank you! Blu-ray Support

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=video/dvd_report_a_problem/report.tpl

This is what they send me after I filled out the form...

Quote:
Dear Erik,

Thank you for the e-mail regarding your Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl Blu-ray not playing correctly.

We are aware of the issue and are able to resolve it with a different copy of the disc.  Please reply to this email with your full contact information.  Once we receive your full mailing address, we will send out a new copy to you.

If you have any other questions, please reply to this email or call us at 1-800-723-4763, Monday's 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST

Thank you for your patience,

Walt Disney Home Entertainment Technical Support

Earn exciting rewards when you buy Disney DVDs!  Join Disney Movie Rewards today -- earn points towards great merchandise and exclusive experiences only Disney can provide. It's fast, fun and easy!  Find out more at www.DisneyMovieRewards.com.
 Last edited: by NewEnglander
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registranttwojayz
United States Posts: 265
Posted:
Just out of curiosity, isn't 190,000 more than 160,000?
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 158 159 160 161 162 ...168  Previous   Next