Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 157 158 159 160 161 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registranttwojayz
United States Posts: 265
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Hey Champ, that is one of the two players I'm really watching. That and the Sharp Aquos model. They both seem to be pretty well regarded in terms of overall quality. It's just going to be a crap shoot on which one. Of course if that Samsung keeps plummeting ( ) in price that may be the route I take. Come January I should be into around $100-$150 in various Amazon gift cards which will put either of them at a super price for me, particularly that P1400. Anyone have any hands on experience with either of the two players I mentioned?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Hey Champ, that is one of the two players I'm really watching. That and the Sharp Aquos model. They both seem to be pretty well regarded in terms of overall quality. It's just going to be a crap shoot on which one. Of course if that Samsung keeps plummeting ( ) in price that may be the route I take. Come January I should be into around $100-$150 in various Amazon gift cards which will put either of them at a super price for me, particularly that P1400. Anyone have any hands on experience with either of the two players I mentioned?

I was just reading about the Samsung player over at DVD Talk today.  It seems to be pretty well hated by most people.  You can see for yourself here.  It too bad really because I too wouldn't mind a cheap player.  They say that the Sony player is supposed to be on sale next week for $300 as well, but that you don't get the free discs.  I think I'll wait for a while yet.  In fact, I'm going to wait to see what WB does first unless a deal comes along that I can't pass up.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Kuddos to PPL thanks for that info... will I have to wait for all seven years, or to buy the seperate years.
The contents of the 5 year? edtion look great, but too bad Warner hasn't been thinking of the future, 2 movies still to come.

I wonder if I should get it online at Amazon.com or possibly get one in NL? I have to get it modified as well...

All those 'problems'
Jean-Paul
I like IMDB
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
Kuddos to PPL thanks for that info... will I have to wait for all seven years, or to buy the seperate years.
The contents of the 5 year? edtion look great, but too bad Warner hasn't been thinking of the future, 2 movies still to come.

I don't have the box set, but from what I was reading today, it sounds like there might be room enough in the box to hold the additional two movies when they arrive.  I doubt they'll match the existing packaging (although that would be an awesome move by Warners), but at least you can store them altogether.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.  Most likely I'll pick up the newest on HD DVD.  I'd love the boxset, but I'm not sure I can justify it since I already have the other movies on DVD.  I know they'd look better and all, and the set does look VERY nice, but it would also be nice to pick up 4 other movies on HD that I don't already own.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I think you might even get by when you would buy the goblet and the order on HD DVD
Jean-Paul
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBoykin
Reg. December 2, 2001
United States Posts: 172
Posted:
It is strange that Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix had a MSRP of 35.95, but is still being sold at 29.98 at Wal-Mart.  It looks like the retale price would drop as the MSRP drops.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorNexus the Sixth
Contributor since 2002
Sweden Posts: 3,192
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
First registered: February 15, 2002
 Last edited: by Nexus the Sixth
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorErik
It's a strange world.
Norway Posts: 422
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting pplchamp:
Quote:
To all that are curious, this is what the Harry Potter set entails... (Note: I have the Blru-ray version) www.erikroth.com/harry_potter_set_back_br1.png

Hey, man, big fan of Forrest Gump and The Insider!

Oh, oops, never mind.

Has the Potter US vs. UK debate been brought up here, btw?
Erik

"Has it ever occurred to you, man, that given the nature of all this new stuff, that, uh, instead of running around blaming me, that this whole thing might just be, not, you know, not just such a simple, but uh - you know?" -- The Dude, The Big Lebowski

I like IMDB
Posted:
Quoting Patsa:
Quote:
Amazon buy 1 get 1 free HD DVD

Well, it's about time the HD DVD folks start seeing some sales on software.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorNewEnglander
United States Posts: 1,911
Posted:
LOL!

Quote:
Some owners of the 'Harry Potter Limited Edition Gift Set' are reporting that an HD DVD has infiltrated their Blu-ray packaging. Numerous reports are surfacing that owners of the Blu-ray set are finding HD DVD versions of "Goblet of Fire" or "The Order of the Phoenix" in their packaging. So if you picked up the set yesterday, or plan to pick one up soon, make sure to check all the discs for the Blu-ray logo.

Posted at blu-ray.com
Signature banned: Reason out of date...
Posted:
Quoting Patsa:
Quote:
Amazon buy 1 get 1 free HD DVD

Long time coming people! Like I said a couple days ago, can't imagine the HD DVD supporters are crying foul now. I picked up 6 of the discs last night, $62. That's what I like to see...Come to daddy. Of course I also think that this was in fact a pretty good move being that it is tied in to the Ultimatum release, bought two of them too. So, because of this deal HD DVD purchases from me went up 300%. Went from an initial order this week of 2 to 8. Not bad. Kinda took the bite out of $56 for the two copies of Bourne too. Now that I think of it, six more bucks for 4 more discs...Absurd.
Posted:
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:

I was just reading about the Samsung player over at DVD Talk today.  It seems to be pretty well hated by most people.  You can see for yourself here.  It too bad really because I too wouldn't mind a cheap player.  They say that the Sony player is supposed to be on sale next week for $300 as well, but that you don't get the free discs.  I think I'll wait for a while yet.  In fact, I'm going to wait to see what WB does first unless a deal comes along that I can't pass up.

Thanks for the info Mark. From what I'd read previously it seemed to be pretty decent. Makes me reconsider that. I'm looking at sometime in February to actually make a purchase so I have plenty of time to figure it out. That should be enough time to see what WB is doing as well.
Posted:
Don't know if anyone here has ever heard of Pocket Lint but apparently they did an interview with Rachel Banin, Product Manager for home video at Sony. Check out this quote from her in regards to a question about Paramount. Does she answer the question? I think not. Anyway:

PL: On the subject of studios, why is Paramount still listed on the Sony Bu-ray PR info as a Blu-ray backing studio?

RB: From my point of view, I would say that we have the majority of the Hollywood support. We have five out of the seven major studios supporting the format.

The announcement from Paramount [nb: to go HD DVD only] came as quite a surprise to us, as software sales are very much geared towards the Blu-ray disc format.

The sales data that we are getting through is showing us on a monthly basis that the ratio of sales is 4:1 in favour of Blu-ray.

But, Paramount switched allegiance. We understand that it was only for a set period of time. I think that if the progress of the Blu-ray format continues, Paramount will have to come back.

First of all, why is Paramount still listed as a Blu-ray supporter. She didn't answer that. Secondly, when did it go up to a 4:1 ratio??? I haven't heard that.
 Last edited: by twojayz
I like IMDB
Posted:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Don't know if anyone here has ever heard of Pocket Lint but apparently they did an interview with Rachel Banin, Product Manager for home video at Sony. Check out this quote from her in regards to a question about Paramount. Does she answer the question? I think not. Anyway:

Wow! She completely side-stepped that one.  And that's my biggest beef with this format war.  It's hard for consumers to get a true and accurate picture to base their decision on with this kind of crap.

I also haven't heard the 4:1 number before.  I know places like Wal*Mart aren't counted in the Nielsen numbers, but I suspect she was just stretching the truth.  Or maybe adding in world wide sales?  I'm not sure where those stand.

It's a shame when people can't just speak the truth and let the facts speak for themselves.  This is a dirty way to fight the war.
Posted:
Apparently the more humble approach of Howard Stringer hasn't quite made its way down the chain yet.

I'd never heard of Pocket Lint until today but assuming (yeah, I know the risk) that this is true this chick should be fired.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorSkywatcher
Portugal Posts: 315
Posted:
It's a UK gadget news site.

This interview is in the main page top stories (12Dec.).: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/
With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 157 158 159 160 161 ...168  Previous   Next