Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 156 157 158 159 160 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Calidain:
Quote:
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as calling Mr Bay one of the greatest directors.
And I can only remember him saying that.

But true that if a director says something like that it must mean something

Actually how the heck do we know that Michael Bay ain't on the take with Blu-Ray?!?  I mean with all the damn conjecture and propanga about financial payoffs, who's to say that Bay is being offered some type of financial incentive to speak fondly of Blu-Ray???  Let's face it, if Sony can pay A_S to be a Blu-Ray mouthpiece then why not at this point in the game, up the ante and start paying high profile director's and actors to to start spreading the Blu-Ray hyperbole???

Now, I'm being paid by Sony, huh? 
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting stefc:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Player For $299

That's VERY nice!

You talk non-stop crap about HD DVD prices being too low yet when Samsung drop price on an obsolete Profile 1.0 player you call it "very nice"!

A price drop within reason is fine.  A huge price drop before manufacturers can bring it to market without profit is another thing altogether.

Tell me what is so obsolete about Profile 1.0 players.  Can it play the high bitrate video and lossless audio movies still?  Can it play the extras on the disc?  Therefore, it's not obsolete.  Instead of watching two pictures at one time, you watch them separately at full resolution.  That is all.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Another BOGO on Amazon (From Sony and Warner Bros.)

Quote:
Amazon has revealed another Buy One Get One free deal, this time for Sony and Warner Blu-ray titles. However, this time you can even buy the upcoming release of 'Monty Python's Life of Brian' or new releases like '20 Million Miles to Earth', so not all the titles are older releases. Use the link below to go directly to the sales titles.

This is clearly aimed at all those new PS3 owners (and the new standalone owners) in the US.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting zexisstryfe:
Quote:
This week I am intent on picking up the Harry Potter limited set of all 5 movies. Hopefully that will be just as good.

I'll probably double dip 'em all as well, maybe even give the SD DVD's to my sis. Please let me know what the boxset looks like, what I mean is, if they're all seperate Blu-cases or a more custom case.

Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
My picture quality seems to be just fine.

Well that is also something which is always good to know... I'll probably have a HighDef player before I have a tv to support it anyway
Better be prepared... But first I need to see where this Warner story is going to, cos if they go HD... then everything is wiiiiiide open again

Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:

From the start right
Jean-Paul
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
Well that is also something which is always good to know... I'll probably have a HighDef player before I have a tv to support it anyway

If I was buying a TV today, I think I'd hold out for one that would playback at 24fps.  Just something to keep in mind.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'll keep that in mind, but first of all very maybe a HDM player
But I'll try and get a player which outputs 1080p, and now most of 'em should right?
Jean-Paul
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorNewEnglander
United States Posts: 1,911
Posted:
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
Quoting zexisstryfe:
Quote:
This week I am intent on picking up the Harry Potter limited set of all 5 movies. Hopefully that will be just as good.

I'll probably double dip 'em all as well, maybe even give the SD DVD's to my sis. Please let me know what the boxset looks like, what I mean is, if they're all seperate Blu-cases or a more custom case.

Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
My picture quality seems to be just fine.

Better be prepared... But first I need to see where this Warner story is going to, cos if they go HD... then everything is wiiiiiide open again

Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:

From the start right

I got mine today, it is a custom case that opens like a treasure chest, then inside you have cheap digi style cases. I am disappointed in the packaging.
Signature banned: Reason out of date...
Posted:
To all that are curious, this is what the Harry Potter set entails... (Note: I have the Blru-ray version)

You have the outer shell which opens like a treasure chest.

Inside you find:

- CD size digipack of the bonus DVD disc
- CD size digipack of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone (Year 1)
- CD size digipack of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Year 2)
- DVD size digipack of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Year 3)
- DVD size digipack of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Year 4)
- DVD size digipack of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- DVD size digipack of Harry Potter Interactive Game Hogwart's Challenge
- Envelope with Harry Potter trading cards (4 packs)
- Box containing the 5 Harry Potter collectible bookmarks

There's also a strap to bind the movies together so they don't fall all over the place (wish I noticed the velcro the first time I opened the set )

Edit: Adding scan of the paperwork around the set. Shows off what is included.

Last edited: by NewEnglander
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
I wanna see someone scan in that case.
I like IMDB
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
I'll keep that in mind, but first of all very maybe a HDM player
But I'll try and get a player which outputs 1080p, and now most of 'em should right?

Most players do 1080p now.  Unless you're going for the budget Toshiba (HD DVD) players.  Even then, that may or may not be a bad thing depending on your equipment.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registranttwojayz
United States Posts: 265
Posted:
user error detected, post deleted. My bad.
 Last edited: by twojayz
Posted:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Another BOGO on Amazon (From Sony and Warner Bros.)

Quote:
Amazon has revealed another Buy One Get One free deal, this time for Sony and Warner Blu-ray titles. However, this time you can even buy the upcoming release of 'Monty Python's Life of Brian' or new releases like '20 Million Miles to Earth', so not all the titles are older releases. Use the link below to go directly to the sales titles.

This is clearly aimed at all those new PS3 owners (and the new standalone owners) in the US.

Or The Bourne Ultimatum. I'm just saying...
Posted:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting stefc:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Player For $299

That's VERY nice!

You talk non-stop crap about HD DVD prices being too low yet when Samsung drop price on an obsolete Profile 1.0 player you call it "very nice"!

A price drop within reason is fine.  A huge price drop before manufacturers can bring it to market without profit is another thing altogether.

Tell me what is so obsolete about Profile 1.0 players.  Can it play the high bitrate video and lossless audio movies still?  Can it play the extras on the disc?  Therefore, it's not obsolete.  Instead of watching two pictures at one time, you watch them separately at full resolution.  That is all.

For now...How are these players going to handle the Live applications? They won't. Not necessarily obsolete (I think that's a bit of a stretch in general) but they won't be "fully functional" in terms of the new application enhancements either.

What the hell do I know, I'll be buying a profile 1.0 player. That's right kiddos. Won't miss the "chatting with Sleeping Beauty" thing at all. 
I like IMDB
Posted:
Assuming things stay roughly the same as they are today, I'll hold off for a 2.0 player.  I'm not really sure why since I'm not all that interested in the bonus material.  I think it's more a matter of knowing that I can watch it if I want to.  Plus, by the time the 2.0 players arrive, I'm hoping the prices will have come down a little more.
Posted:
Ya know, I would wait but I'm looking at a $200 price point, subtract a couple other discounts and a gift card or two and I'm into Blu for cheap. While I agree it's a nice thing to know you can do it, I don't think I'll miss it on the titles I intend to purchase. None of them have the features available anyway. I'm in Blu for mostly catalog films and a few new(er) releases. And with what I know is coming up I don't think I'll be missing much. Of course that's just me.

I like Howard Stringer by the way. No more smack talk BS from him. It's comforting, I wish he was my Grandpa. 
Posted:
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray player $269.98 @ Amazon

Was priced just over $245 earlier today.
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 156 157 158 159 160 ...168  Previous   Next