Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 155 156 157 158 159 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Battling Butler:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
I think I'm getting an LG combo player for Christmas, so I couldn't care less how this all turns out! 

Hal9g,

It's really about having the best movie presentation using the best technology available to the consumers.  You can look at the amount of Blu-ray movies I have that I can afford both formats (software being the most expensive part of format ownership).  I am a movie fan though.  Therefore, I care about the best presentation of these films being available.  That means the best PQ and SQ at the SAME time.  Why pay the same software prices for something less than the best video and audio quality from the studios?  That is unless having someone else control your HD player and movie experience (new HD DVD interactive feature) is something you cherish over the best video and audio available (with extras in HD).

What was the purpose of this post? You added no new information, restated your own position for the  110th time (we KNOW you love BD and hate HD), and once again evangelized on the blessings (in your opinion) of SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY.  So it seems the only reason that you posted your rant was to insult, demean, belittle and generally trash talk hal9g's simple and positive statement that he was looking forward to getting a universal HD / BD player.

What?  Where did you conjure the "insult, demean, belittle, and generally trash talk hal9g's simple and positive statement" stuff from that post?  Really.  Where exactly did all these attacks on hal9g occur? Geez.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
There, now I have said that I am above you. Happy now?

twojayz.  First of all, you're way overdue for an avatar.  You need to pick one.

Second, why do you continue to argue with him?  Really.  Why don't you simply block his posts and relax for a change?  I have no problem with you speaking to him of course.  I just fail to understand what the purpose is.  There's not a chance in hell that even one argument is going to penetrate his shields.  And you're certainly not helping to combat any of his nonsense because not even the Blu people take him seriously.  So why bother?

No shields here except my FUD shields.  A logical fact based (that's the key part) statement and/or argument gets through just fine.  Rumor based stuff doesn't do so well.  That's all it is.

The only ones with shields are the ones using the block button (aka shields).  That's the closest definition to the purpose of a shield.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
 Last edited: by Ascended_Saiyan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting Battling Butler:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
I think I'm getting an LG combo player for Christmas, so I couldn't care less how this all turns out! 

Hal9g,

It's really about having the best movie presentation using the best technology available to the consumers.  You can look at the amount of Blu-ray movies I have that I can afford both formats (software being the most expensive part of format ownership).  I am a movie fan though.  Therefore, I care about the best presentation of these films being available.  That means the best PQ and SQ at the SAME time.  Why pay the same software prices for something less than the best video and audio quality from the studios?  That is unless having someone else control your HD player and movie experience (new HD DVD interactive feature) is something you cherish over the best video and audio available (with extras in HD).

What was the purpose of this post? You added no new information, restated your own position for the  110th time (we KNOW you love BD and hate HD), and once again evangelized on the blessings (in your opinion) of SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY.  So it seems the only reason that you posted your rant was to insult, demean, belittle and generally trash talk hal9g's simple and positive statement that he was looking forward to getting a universal HD / BD player.

What?  Where did you conjure the "insult, demean, belittle, and generally trash talk hal9g's simple and positive statement" stuff from that post?  Really.  Where exactly did all these attacks on hal9g occur? Geez.

I agree that you don't attack, but it indeed is 'saying' that hal will/should never use the HD DVD possibility on the LG, because Blu is better. And you are insinuating that hal isn't a movie fan if they'll be playing HD DVD with the LG.

So not much of an attack and I think BB's reaction was a bit much! But he is right that you again took the opportunity to provoke certain people on this board.
Jean-Paul
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting Battling Butler:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:

Hal9g,

I agree that you don't attack, but it indeed is 'saying' that hal will/should never use the HD DVD possibility on the LG, because Blu is better. And you are insinuating that hal isn't a movie fan if they'll be playing HD DVD with the LG.

So not much of an attack and I think BB's reaction was a bit much! But he is right that you again took the opportunity to provoke certain people on this board.

I'm just saying...if the movie creators (some of the greatest directors of our time) are ALSO saying that their movies are best presented via a particular format, that should perk movie lover's (I mean those that want a movie to be the best it can be and not those that just want to see a movie...period) ears up.

Is it that I'm going out of my way to provoking certain people on this board or that certain people on this board are easily provoked (like Africanized Honey Bees)?
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I wouldn't go as far as calling Mr Bay one of the greatest directors.
And I can only remember him saying that.

But true that if a director says something like that it must mean something

Quote:
Is it that I'm going out of my way to provoking certain people on this board or that certain people on this board are easily provoked (like Africanized Honey Bees)?

Touche!
No answer here, but I think you are half right, but not half wrong
Jean-Paul
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Player For $299

Quote:
Mimicking the  way HD DVD players hit new rock bottom prices with sudden, unannounced sales, Blu-ray Disc hardware is at a never before seen level of affordability.

Retailers such as Amazon, Circuit City and Best Buy - as reported by High-Def Digest - are all listing the Samsung BD-P1400 at prices below $300 – representing a $200 break from the original list price of $499.

Besides the sale price temporarily bringing down the cost of Blu-ray Disc hardware for the holiday season, the Samsung BD-P1400 also carries the distinction of being the first player to support DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, according to High-Def Digest.

Like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless compression scheme that is able to provide audio quality on par with PCM tracks but at the expense of less storage. Players without DTS-HD Master Audio support are able to extract a lower-quality 1.5 Mbps core stream.

Despite the drop to $299, HD DVD still hangs on to its reputation for being the more affordable technology. Even with the prices back up from $99, the entry level Toshiba HD-A3 is still $100 less on Amazon than the Samsung BD-P1400.

There is more to the story than just hardware prices, though, as even with more expensive hardware, Blu-ray Disc leads the way in movie title sales.

That's VERY nice!
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Matsushita (Panasonic) To Bundle Blu-ray Players With Plasma TVs

Quote:
TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. (6752.TO) said Monday it would bundle plasma TVs and next-generation DVD players at major U.S. retailers starting next week.

Masayuki Kozuka, a general manager in charge of the company's storage device strategy, told Dow Jones that Matsushita may offer discounts on its Blu-Ray players to customer who buy its plasma TVs.

A company spokesman said the sales promotion would take place at U.S. retailers such as Circuit City Stores Inc. (CC) and Best Buy Co. (BBY).

Kozuka said Matsushita aimed to double its Blu-Ray player share in the U.S. next year. He said the company currently has about a 10% share of all such players sold, not including Sony Corp.'s (6758.TO) PlayStation 3 game console, which is equipped with a Blu-Ray drive.

He said the company planned to introduce two new Blu-Ray players in the U.S. in January, both higher-end models than its current offerings.

He also said the company would look to maintain its Blu-Ray player pricing through the holiday shopping season this year.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantCalidain
You're no Daisy at all!
Posted:
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as calling Mr Bay one of the greatest directors.
And I can only remember him saying that.

But true that if a director says something like that it must mean something

Actually how the heck do we know that Michael Bay ain't on the take with Blu-Ray?!?  I mean with all the damn conjecture and propanga about financial payoffs, who's to say that Bay is being offered some type of financial incentive to speak fondly of Blu-Ray???  Let's face it, if Sony can pay A_S to be a Blu-Ray mouthpiece then why not at this point in the game, up the ante and start paying high profile director's and actors to to start spreading the Blu-Ray hyperbole???

My Collection!!!
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantstefc
United Kingdom Posts: 254
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Player For $299

That's VERY nice!

You talk non-stop crap about HD DVD prices being too low yet when Samsung drop price on an obsolete Profile 1.0 player you call it "very nice"!
Posted:
Well SONY should put REAL directors on their payrole like Scorsese
Him I would believe...

Maybe it is time to but a Blu-ray Samsung at Amazon, but I am unsure it they are willing to ship something like that to Europe?
Jean-Paul
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBoykin
Reg. December 2, 2001
United States Posts: 172
Posted:
I agree with the users several pages back that said the price of the software needed to come down.  If either side would sell their software at the same price as regular DVDs, they would definately have an advantage.  I have a PS3 and an HD-A1 and I only buy an HD version of a movie if it is a major title or a sci-fi/action/special effects movie.  I will buy movies like Harry Potter on HD, but I will not buy moives like Hostel 1 or 2 on HD until it is the same price as regular DVD.
 Last edited: by Boykin
Posted:
Well I am thinking of buying Harry Potter and PotC on Blu obviously... But it is, well still a difficult decision to make.
Jean-Paul
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantzexisstryfe
Once was lost...
United States Posts: 8
Posted:
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
Well I am thinking of buying Harry Potter and PotC on Blu obviously... But it is, well still a difficult decision to make.

I just bought PotC 2 and 3 (waiting for 1 in the mail) and eventhough I already own 2 in DVD, it was worth it. This week I am intent on picking up the Harry Potter limited set of all 5 movies. Hopefully that will be just as good.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registranttwojayz
United States Posts: 265
Posted:
I will never understand the hypocricy involved on both sides when it comes to this ridiculous format war. And yes, I do mean from the red and blu sides. It goes both ways although from my prespective it's mostly blu...For instance:

PS3 needs to be counted as a player but the X360 add-on shouldn't...

HD DVD unloads a price drop and it's a fire sale just to get rid of 2nd gen players or because they aren't selling at the normal retail price. Blu-ray players see a sudden $200 price reduction and it's the most brilliant marketing move ever...What about Best Buy (I think) dropping $499 from the combined purchase of a Blu player and HDTV (the player is magically priced at, you guessed it $499). Talk about giving away your product, literally.

HD DVD offers free movies with a player purchase and it's sheer desperation. Blu-ray does it because it's good business... Blu-ray offers BOGO sales and it's a sign of desperation to fend off a possible HD DVD win from new releases. HD DVD supporters will be overjoyed when they finally get a BOGO. Yes, it's long over due.

720p/1080i isn't actually HD, unless it's broadcast. I'll never understand how we were all perfectly okay with 720p/1080i until 1080p became the latest buzzword. 720p IS HD, so is 1080i. No Madder, this isn't directed at you, I'm speaking generally.

Blu-ray should become the standard because an extremely small number of consumers will care about the extra bandwidth. The idea that it's selfish because this small percentage of people will notice a difference is childish. What about the much larger population who won't care one way or another? Isn't it just as selfish to make them pay extra for something they don't care about or would have a very hard time seeing a practical benefit from?

Seriously, it's to the point where intelligent conversation is practically impossible because of the blinders that too many people are wearing. I'm not trying to start anything here but come on people, most of us are better than this.

I'm not saying I've been perfect in this regard, I'm sure I haven't been. I have tried to represent my opinions of both sides fairly, as many of you have as well. I applaud those who are able to do this. For those who haven't done so yet, I still have hope for you. BOTH formats have advantages and disadvantages, be smart enough to realize this. If something is good for one side then it's just as good for the other. You can't have it both ways.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
I will never understand the hypocricy involved on both sides when it comes to this ridiculous format war. And yes, I do mean from the red and blu sides. It goes both ways although from my prespective it's mostly blu...For instance:

Well said.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting JP_S:
Quote:
But isn't that 'bad' for the picture? Going from 1080p (source) being converted/output to 1080i and then your tv again changing it back to 1080p?
Or is the PQ still okay?

My picture quality seems to be just fine.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 155 156 157 158 159 ...168  Previous   Next