Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 154 155 156 157 158 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registranttwojayz
United States Posts: 265
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
There, now I have said that I am above you. Happy now?

twojayz.  First of all, you're way overdue for an avatar.  You need to pick one.

Second, why do you continue to argue with him?  Really.  Why don't you simply block his posts and relax for a change?  I have no problem with you speaking to him of course.  I just fail to understand what the purpose is.  There's not a chance in hell that even one argument is going to penetrate his shields.  And you're certainly not helping to combat any of his nonsense because not even the Blu people take him seriously.  So why bother?

Mark: Point well taken. I'll get an avatar ASAP.

I don't know why I actually enjoy arguing with him. I know I'm not going to change his mind. That's really not my goal. I'm not really a big fan of personalities like his...He tries a little too hard to assert his opinions as fact. Just bugs the hell out of me and I'm not one to sit back and shut up. I've tried to do the whole blocking trick in the past, didn't work since I'd see other quotes and sometimes forget to log-in and I'd see his posts anyway...Maybe I'll try again. Can't wait for that reputation thing to be implemented.
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
For instance...When he "compares" mistyping on an internet forum to being in front of a judge for some kind of actual crime...It takes a lot of restraint for me to not address this directly. BUT, I will not engage him, at least now...
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
I don't know why I actually enjoy arguing with him.

Fair enough.  As I recall, you were late to the game.  Some of us have been putting up with him for this entire thread and most of the previous thread on the old site.  I guess you've not quite had your fill yet.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
Posted:
Hey Mark - So I got the avatar taken care of. That 06 Camaro concept is one bad s.o.b. of a car...
Posted:
According to a new Business Week article...In regards to a WB switch to exclusive (either side)...Which format does everything think this favors?

Athough insiders give Blu-ray the advantage, according to unnamed studio sources quoted by BusinessWeek, Warner is waiting to see which format sells more this holiday before making its decision. "Warner wants one of the two sides to make a commitment to getting this format into as many hands as possible," said the source.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantDraxen
I see shiny discs...
Finland Posts: 681
Posted:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
According to a new Business Week article...In regards to a WB switch to exclusive (either side)...Which format does everything think this favors?

Athough insiders give Blu-ray the advantage, according to unnamed studio sources quoted by BusinessWeek, Warner is waiting to see which format sells more this holiday before making its decision. "Warner wants one of the two sides to make a commitment to getting this format into as many hands as possible," said the source.

Difficult to tell, but it sounds like it's more about Blu-ray than HD DVD.

These "unnamed sources" could of course be anything and nobody... I see wants and commitment as keywords here: with its dramatic price cuts (those $99 players) it can be said that that already constitutes a real commitment in Warner's eyes to "getting this format into as many hands as possible". Now, if Warner still wants it from one of the two sides, it sounds to me that they would like to choose Blu-ray, but are not willing to do so unless there is something similar kind of commitment from the Bluside, too.
Mika
I hate people who love me, and they hate me. (Bender Bending Rodriguez)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantCalidain
You're no Daisy at all!
Posted:
The State of HD-DVD

Nice read, I am not sure on Gizmodo's allegiances or bias, and for the record, I could care less. 
My Collection!!!
 Last edited: by Calidain
Posted:
Mark - Yeah, I was late getting into the forum here. First post (as mentioned) wasn't until page 105.

Calidain - I agree, it is a nice read. Hard to tell if it's bias or a fair assessment of the current situation. For the most part though I believe the author made it pretty fair considering the article is in fact about HD DVD.

Draxen - I think you actually got it right. It seems like they may want to in fact go with Blu-ray. But as of now it's very hard to see any commitment from them (other than the PS3) to get the hardware out there into as many home as possible. This may end up being another case of corporate arrogance costing them big in the long run. As for software, I think at least Sony and Disney have shown they are willing to move titles, particularly during weeks of big HD DVD releases. Transformer = BOGO, Shrek = BOGO, I will take a guess and say Bourne = BOGO...When it all comes down to it though, from the perspective of Warner would you rather see more hardware moving which will eventually sell software or do you look short term and only focus on current software sales. Personally, I think it would be foolish to disregard future impact of the HD DVD players sold in the past month or two. With as many as what 200,000-300,000 new players out there it could signal an enormous shift in eventual software sales.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgraymadder
United States Posts: 103
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Calidain:
Quote:
The State of HD-DVD

Nice read, I am not sure on Gizmodo's allgeiances or bias, and for the record, I could care less. 

Nice read. I read the State of Blu-ray as well. I think it summarized both quite nicely. I liked how they played the HD-DVD camp as the little guys. I think he's right on with the Chinese factor.  Low cost will always play a big hand with the most consumers. Only a handful don't look at cost as a direct factor, but rather the qualtiy of the product. I look at HD-DVD players  that are $100, but aren't 1080p compatible so to me HD-DVD players are not $100.

From the "Blu-ray" article is sounded that the only player that can be flashed to suppor the new BD Profiles is the PS3. Is this true? That sucks if it is.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Again another rumor... Warner might go Blu only... as if... was on www.dvdtown.com
Jean-Paul
Posted:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
I look at HD-DVD players  that are $100, but aren't 1080p compatible so to me HD-DVD players are not $100.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you consider a 720p/1080i machine to be a HD DVD player? You've confused me on this one.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
I look at HD-DVD players  that are $100, but aren't 1080p compatible so to me HD-DVD players are not $100.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you consider a 720p/1080i machine to be a HD DVD player? You've confused me on this one.

My machine only outputs 1080i.  But my TV correctly deinterlaces back to the original 1080p.  In all but a few rare cases, this is just a red herring argument.  I'm getting the full 1080p found on the disc and get the same picture a true 1080p player would give me.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
Posted:
Well what confuses me is that broadcast HD is 720p/1080i but when the same standard is applied to a playback machine it's suddenly NOT high definition? Umm...1080p doesn't mean jack outside of the HD player market (including the PS3/X360).
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantOverseer
Where's my damn statue?!
United States Posts: 175
Posted:
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:

My machine only outputs 1080i.  But my TV correctly deinterlaces back to the original 1080p.  In all but a few rare cases, this is just a red herring argument.  I'm getting the full 1080p found on the disc and get the same picture a true 1080p player would give me.

Agreed.
Gotta nip it in the bud, Andy!
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantstefc
United Kingdom Posts: 254
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
I'm getting the full 1080p found on the disc and get the same picture a true 1080p player would give me.

That's not strictly correct but does apply almost all of the time, as long as your TV's 3-2 pulldown is spot on. I know mine isn't though, and I've seen it judder film based content that has been badly encoded or broadcast and it often judders when video based sources are thrown into the equation.

1080p does come into its own with 1080p24 though, and if you have a TV that can accept that (sadly very few do right now), it would be worth paying more/holding out for a 1080p24 player.

1080p60's advantage over 1080i is only important when it comes to games consoles that can generate 1080p at higher than 24, 25 or 30 fps.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Austria Posts: 460
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:

But isn't that 'bad' for the picture? Going from 1080p (source) being converted/output to 1080i and then your tv again changing it back to 1080p?
Or is the PQ still okay?

I wonder what this thing with Warner is going to be. I read something more on HighDefDigest.com this morning. If Warner would go Blu the marketshare would be Blu:HD 70:30 if Warner goes Red it would be more or less the same 50:50...

I wonder...
Jean-Paul
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 154 155 156 157 158 ...168  Previous   Next