Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 153 154 155 156 157 ...168  Previous   Next
HD DVD and Blu-ray
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Asc - I applaud your effort but my God you failed miserably to throw me under the bus. I would like to point at that the first example you used was brought to my attention and I owned up to the mistake that I made. Everything can be used in your favor if you take it out of context...

By the way, I'm not an internet "stalker", I recognized your signature and the general lack of thought in your posts. Can't help it that you are so transparent.

I answered your request.  It's just that simple.  The people with logic can look and see al the misleading information you have posted since your beginning.  Your band of merry red men will support and back you up as long as support them.  I expect nothing else from them.

So you think that just because you owned up to THAT incorrect information, it wipes it off the map?  Life doesn't work like that.  That fact is you entered this forum uninformed.  That made you a prime candidate for HD DVD evangelism (wait...that's right...they changed the name now).

The content is for you to look at.  That's why I listed the time, date, and page number.  It was for people to go back and see for themselves.  They can take in as much of the context as they want.

Did I call you an Internet stalker?  No, I didn't.  They say the guilty speak first.  Maybe you did Internet stalk me with the others that it WAS aimed at, but it was not aimed at you.

What general lack of thought did you find in my post?  I just listed your wrong or misleading information and pointed out why it was wrong or misleading...period.

The truth should be transparent.  Can you explain why my predictions keep coming true?  I mean...I'm suppose to be the one looking at things SO wrong, right?  So, please explain it.  I would love to read what you can make up on such short notice.

Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, Francis Coppola, Ridley Scott, etc. seems to agree with a lot of my findings about Blu-ray.  I guess the biggest directors of our time don't know what they're talking about either, right?  This is comical...in a dark sort of way.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Why would there be more money from the HD DVD side when Blu-ray outsells HD DVD 2:1 and 3:1?

Because some people don't realize that the costs aren't equal between the two formats.  I don't know what the differences are, but 2:1 sales does NOT equal 2:1 profit.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 2 to 1 sales are relevant if costs are equal, which apparently they are not.

Richard Casey's (R&B Films) interview that I've linked to around 2 posts earlier says that there is no real cost difference between the two in software.  That has been covered.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantDvdjon
Ministry of silly walks
Norway Posts: 159
Posted:
Are those "Bay" posts even verified as real?

He demented the statements that he was appalled about the "no Blu-Ray" statements made adter a couple of beers(atleast that was what my newspaper reported.

Why would he go on about this? is he an adult or a tiny child with an ugly beard?

I state that these postare either false or Bay is on drugs;-)        
Jon has recently watched these movies:
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantCalidain
You're no Daisy at all!
Posted:
Wal-Mart has a couple decent deals at 8am tomorrow morning, December 7th...

Toshiba HD-A3 plus 12 Free HD-DVDs for $298 (2 Free movies in the Box, 5 instant Free movies, and 5 Free through mail offer)

or...

Toshiba HD-A2 plus 10 Free HD-DVDs $198 (5 Free instantly and 5 more Free by mail).
My Collection!!!
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantgraymadder
United States Posts: 103
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
Why would there be more money from the HD DVD side when Blu-ray outsells HD DVD 2:1 and 3:1?

Because some people don't realize that the costs aren't equal between the two formats.  I don't know what the differences are, but 2:1 sales does NOT equal 2:1 profit.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 2 to 1 sales are relevant if costs are equal, which apparently they are not.

Richard Casey's (R&B Films) interview that I've linked to around 2 posts earlier says that there is no real cost difference between the two in software.  That has been covered.

I read your link. Not really a good article that covers costs (only one bullet out of 15) it did say that costs to manufacture bd was 30% higher over HD. Not sure how he came about that there is no differnce in costs for production, but replication costs there clearly is. This isn't misleading.

"5. Which HD format is less expensive to produce for? Details?
Well, if you asked me this question a year ago, the answer would be different. However, from a production standpoint, there is no difference in cost between HD and BD formats.
Also, as the professional tools for production mature, I have seen the cost for HD / BD authoring come down quite a bit.
However, when it comes to replication of the discs, BD clearly costs more money to produce.  We pay approximately 30% more for a BD Replicated Disc than we do for an HD replicated disc. To us, this is a negligible difference at this early stage of the game. 
Blu-ray Disc is a new format using somewhat different technology from HD-DVD.  I expect it to cost more in the beginning.  However, like anything else, pricing will drop on BD replication as the installed base of players increase and some of the R&D Costs are recouped."

Well since the higher costs idea seems to be mentioned a lot around this and other forums I did a quick search and found a much better article that would support your case than the one you posted.

The article was written back in Feb with an update early Nov.
First part:
http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/
Second part:
http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-analyzed-again/113/

After reading this it doesn't appear that replication costs is 30% higher. Not sure if this site is reputable or not.

Please don't assume just because you say you covered and answered that area it doesn't mean that case is closed. Because apparently it isn't.
 Last edited: by graymadder
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
Please don't assume just because you say you covered and answered that area it doesn't mean that case is closed. Because apparently it isn't.

A_S has a bad habbit of providing links that do not support his opinion or, at times, completely contradict what he is saying.  This is a perfect example.

As for the interview, it is quite laughable.  The guy starts out saying, "there is no difference in cost," then proceeds to contradict that statement when he says they pay 30% more.  This is classic 'doublespeak'.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
 Last edited: by TheMadMartian
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I think I'm getting an LG combo player for Christmas, so I couldn't care less how this all turns out! 
Hal
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBattling Butler
Posted:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
I think I'm getting an LG combo player for Christmas, so I couldn't care less how this all turns out! 

DVD Profiler Unlimited Registranttwojayz
United States Posts: 265
Posted:
So you think that just because you owned up to THAT incorrect information, it wipes it off the map?  Life doesn't work like that.  That fact is you entered this forum uninformed.  That made you a prime candidate for HD DVD evangelism (wait...that's right...they changed the name now).

Life doesn't work like what? You mean normal, intelligent people never make a mistake? Damn, I didn't know that. I could have gone back and edited the post but I didn't. I'm not hiding anything...I said that I made a mistake in the way I made that claim. I was wrong. I admitted it. That is the way life works. Of course you might not understand that since you are (according to yourself anyway) never "wrong"/always right. Even when confronted with information that totally negates the claims that you make you never admit to being wrong, or uninformed as you like to say. I say that does in fact make me a much bigger person than you. There, now I have said that I am above you. Happy now?
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting graymadder:
Quote:
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:

I read your link. Not really a good article that covers costs (only one bullet out of 15) it did say that costs to manufacture bd was 30% higher over HD. Not sure how he came about that there is no differnce in costs for production, but replication costs there clearly is. This isn't misleading.

"5. Which HD format is less expensive to produce for? Details?
Well, if you asked me this question a year ago, the answer would be different. However, from a production standpoint, there is no difference in cost between HD and BD formats.
Also, as the professional tools for production mature, I have seen the cost for HD / BD authoring come down quite a bit.
However, when it comes to replication of the discs, BD clearly costs more money to produce.  We pay approximately 30% more for a BD Replicated Disc than we do for an HD replicated disc. To us, this is a negligible difference at this early stage of the game. 
Blu-ray Disc is a new format using somewhat different technology from HD-DVD.  I expect it to cost more in the beginning.  However, like anything else, pricing will drop on BD replication as the installed base of players increase and some of the R&D Costs are recouped."

Well since the higher costs idea seems to be mentioned a lot around this and other forums I did a quick search and found a much better article that would support your case than the one you posted.

The article was written back in Feb with an update early Nov.
First part:
http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/
Second part:
http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-analyzed-again/113/

After reading this it doesn't appear that replication costs is 30% higher. Not sure if this site is reputable or not.

Why would you look at the magazine over the direct words from Richard Casey himself?  If the complete words that came directly from Richard Casey, who cares where it came from? 

He basically said there is no real difference for putting his content on HD DVD or Blu-ray cost wise.  The articles you linked to says there is no real difference in the cost of production, so what's the problem?  Where are all the sources from the producers of this content or the production houses that say there is a BIG difference in cost?  That's my point right there.

It's not about when I say the case is closed, but there is NO evidence of HD DVD's cost of software production being a real factor (especially at these volumes).  People are basing this on NOTHING, but hearsay.  Is that rational?  If it's more than hearsay the cost argument is based on, let's see all this information.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:

Hal9g,

It's really about having the best movie presentation using the best technology available to the consumers.  You can look at the amount of Blu-ray movies I have that I can afford both formats (software being the most expensive part of format ownership).  I am a movie fan though.  Therefore, I care about the best presentation of these films being available.  That means the best PQ and SQ at the SAME time.  Why pay the same software prices for something less than the best video and audio quality from the studios?  That is unless having someone else control your HD player and movie experience (new HD DVD interactive feature) is something you cherish over the best video and audio available (with extras in HD).
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Posted:
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:

Life doesn't work like what? You mean normal, intelligent people never make a mistake? Damn, I didn't know that. I could have gone back and edited the post but I didn't. I'm not hiding anything...I said that I made a mistake in the way I made that claim. I was wrong. I admitted it. That is the way life works. Of course you might not understand that since you are (according to yourself anyway) never "wrong"/always right. Even when confronted with information that totally negates the claims that you make you never admit to being wrong, or uninformed as you like to say. I say that does in fact make me a much bigger person than you. There, now I have said that I am above you. Happy now?

Now you are just lying.  I NEVER claimed I don't make mistakes.

Here is a harsh example of life and mistakes.  Someone makes the mistake of hanging out with the wrong people.  That person owns up to their mistake in front of the judge.  Does the judge just let that person go because he/she said I owned up to it?  Is it just erased from their record?  That is my point.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantBattling Butler
Posted:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:

Hal9g,

It's really about having the best movie presentation using the best technology available to the consumers.  You can look at the amount of Blu-ray movies I have that I can afford both formats (software being the most expensive part of format ownership).  I am a movie fan though.  Therefore, I care about the best presentation of these films being available.  That means the best PQ and SQ at the SAME time.  Why pay the same software prices for something less than the best video and audio quality from the studios?  That is unless having someone else control your HD player and movie experience (new HD DVD interactive feature) is something you cherish over the best video and audio available (with extras in HD).

What was the purpose of this post? You added no new information, restated your own position for the  110th time (we KNOW you love BD and hate HD), and once again evangelized on the blessings (in your opinion) of SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY.  So it seems the only reason that you posted your rant was to insult, demean, belittle and generally trash talk hal9g's simple and positive statement that he was looking forward to getting a universal HD / BD player.
 Last edited: by Battling Butler
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantstefc
United Kingdom Posts: 254
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Disgusting_Troll:
Quote:
I am a movie fan though.

BHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHA!
 Last edited: by stefc
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting twojayz:
Quote:
There, now I have said that I am above you. Happy now?

twojayz.  First of all, you're way overdue for an avatar.  You need to pick one.

Second, why do you continue to argue with him?  Really.  Why don't you simply block his posts and relax for a change?  I have no problem with you speaking to him of course.  I just fail to understand what the purpose is.  There's not a chance in hell that even one argument is going to penetrate his shields.  And you're certainly not helping to combat any of his nonsense because not even the Blu people take him seriously.  So why bother?
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorNewEnglander
United States Posts: 1,911
Posted:
Lionsgate, Sony to bow first BD-Live titles in January
Web-enabled Blu-ray players still not confirmed
By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 12/5/2007

DEC. 5 | LOS ANGELES—Lionsgate and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will bring out the first Web-enabled Blu-ray Disc titles in January, even though hardware that can fully playback BD-Live interactivity has not yet been confirmed.

War and Saw IV, streeting from Lionsgate on Blu-ray and standard-definition DVD on Jan. 1 and Jan. 22, respectively, will carry networking features, confirmed the studio’s senior VP of DVD production, Miguel Casillas, during a panel discussion at Tuesday’s High-Def 2.0 conference here.

Casillas noted that with Saw IV, users will be able to share content through their Blu-ray players’ Web connections, but he did not elaborate further. He did not describe War’s interactivity in detail.

Sony executive VP of advanced technologies Don Eklund declined to specify titles but said Web-enabled features will represent a major theme in the studio’s 2008 Blu-ray slate.

“We have an aggressive program underway to use network capabilities on our titles next year,” said Eklund.

War and Saw IV will likely become the first networked titles released for Blu-ray. Earlier this year, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment announced Sleeping Beauty and National Treasure would boast this interactivity, but they are not expected until later in 2008.

An onslaught of Web-enabled Blu-ray titles could prove an important weapon in the format war, as the HD DVD camp has touted its own networking abilities as a key advantage over Blu-ray. As Web connection comes standard in all HD DVD players, a number of titles on that format already offer networking interactivity, including the industry’s first e-commerce feature on Universal Studios Home Entertainment’s HD DVD release of Evan Almighty.

Studio executive panelists as well as manufacturers speaking at the conference acknowledged the current absence of BD-Live players. Yet, Eklund said Sony and other studios anticipate that the PlayStation 3 will soon become one such player, likely through firmware updates, as the console already allows users to download game-related content.

Eklund added that firmware should be released for the PS3 this month that would upgrade the console to fully playback picture-in-picture interactivity, another type of high-def bonus feature that is popular in HD DVD titles but not yet available with Blu-ray titles due to few compatible players.

“It’s the studio’s assumption” that PS3 will be a BD-Live player, said Eklund.

Overall, Blu-ray will remain an important part of the studio’s product pipeline in 2008.

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Disney will increase the number of releases in the format next year.

“We’re going to be extending our day-and-date releases and finding appropriate catalog titles,” said Simon Swart, executive VP and general manager North America at Fox. He added that the studio wants “to see what this format can do that really blows DVD away.”

Disney general manager North America Lori MacPherson added, “We want to keep offering a step beyond what people have seen.”

Source: Video Business
Signature banned: Reason out of date...
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1... 153 154 155 156 157 ...168  Previous   Next