Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 13 14 15 16 17 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKulju
Finland Posts: 2,337
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:
Just a little FYI on this.  A twentyfour hour ban is pretty standard for a first offense...at least it was for every company I worked for...GeoCities, Yahoo and MAXIS, just to name three.

Did these forums show some sort of indication of those users who were banned on other users?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:
Permanent bans were fairly rare as the average user got the message by ban number two.

Not in my favorite forum. they warn you 2 times and after that it's goodbye! And it's for anyone without any distinction : I've seen filmakers, book writer, actors and internet film critic banned from there... The ambiance is great because of this strict politic and that's why it's my favorite forum.
 Last edited: by Jimmy S
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kulju:
Quote:
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:
Just a little FYI on this.  A twentyfour hour ban is pretty standard for a first offense...at least it was for every company I worked for...GeoCities, Yahoo and MAXIS, just to name three.

Did these forums show some sort of indication of those users who were banned on other users?

I don't remember whether or not Yahoo and GeoCities did, but MAXIS did not.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVittra
O.o
United States Posts: 384
Posted:
I'm in agreement with most here who have posted in that longer ban times is a must, but 24 hours for your first offense doesn't seem like a bad idea. Martian's timeline seems great to me. Most people even if they did get a 30 day ban might not come back just due to finding something else to do with their time. And if they did, hopefully they'd have learned their lesson.

I also agree with Alien in that bans should be made public and offenses shouldn't be erased unless they are  severe. This would help other users see what is unacceptable and should slowly improve things around here. Making bans public is just a great form of punishment, and maybe not so much on their first offense, but multiple offenders should be called out. Just like the "A" in "Scarlet Letter". Make something public and the chances of them doing it again lowers substantially. 

Thanks Ken for chiming in and spending some time in this discussion. I really hope you do reconsider your current stance on moderation and punishment due to the atmosphere not improving around here. People have had their warnings long enough, time to start fixing the problem no matter the steps necessary.
"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
France Posts: 4,479
Posted:
I have always been in favor of bans, and have not changed my mind. But reasons of bans should be fair. Was really Taro the right person to ban in order to clean the atmosphere here ??? 
Images from movies
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorreybr
Norway Posts: 906
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:

Currently we're working on response times for edits and these temp bans.  If that can reign in the incendiary comments, great.

If the response time would be a little bit higher to posts given red arrows, I think much will be solved. If people find that giving a red arrow actually works in getting a moderators attention within a reasonable time, they might not jump into the discussion and dragging it further down.

This is also something the forum users need to get a lot better at. Give red arrows to report a post to a moderator, but do not jump into the discussion and drag it further down.

And while on the topic of red arrows, it would be great if the page describing the use of the red arrow would be updatged to indicate that it now just works as a report to moderator button.

The colour of her eyes, were the colour of insanity
Posted:
Quoting reybr:
Quote:

And while on the topic of red arrows, [...] just works as a report to moderator button.

If it the use of them it doesn't really work... I'm sure that a lot of members had used a red arrow for the 3 post of Susan100 monday and none of them were deleted. Another a day or 2 after was but not those three.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantjohnd
Evening, poetry lovers.
Australia Posts: 298
Posted:
An example of a very complete, fully visible and rigerously applied moderation process:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=WP_ModFAQ

Overkill for here, since Whirlpool lives or dies by the quality of moderation, but it shows it can work.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
Kathy made a very interesting suggestion in this thread:
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=427000
In fact I liked it so much that I put it in my signature.
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantTheDarkKnight
United States Posts: 762
Posted:
I strongly believe that a ban should be visible to the community! A certain symbol as mentioned before in this thread would be perfect.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TheDarkKnight:
Quote:
I strongly believe that a ban should be visible to the community! A certain symbol as mentioned before in this thread would be perfect.

As I've said a couple of times, I fully agree with this.

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAntares
United States Posts: 599
Posted:
Quoting Forget_the_Rest:
Quote:
Quoting TheDarkKnight:
Quote:

As I've said a couple of times, I fully agree with this.

Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm open to considering this, but at a later date.  We'll see if we can reign in the forums without taking this step.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
Posted:
As I have also stated before, let's say it again. I also like the idea that a ban should be visible to the community.
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
I'm open to considering this, but at a later date.  We'll see if we can reign in the forums without taking this step.

Every forum do that Ken this isn't something that unusual we are asking for...
 Last edited: by Jimmy S
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:

By the way, it's very nice that you partisipate on these conversations. It gives a totally different, better image of the company. It really shows that you care. Please continue to do this, even if it is just a few minutes per day. Beta release and rule committee forums would also benefit for your presence.
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 13 14 15 16 17 ...33  Previous   Next