Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 12 13 14 15 16 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAlien Redrum
Proudly blocked by liars.
United States Posts: 1,656
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
When we noticed someone bypassing their ban, we corrected so the setting is read on every post.

I read that as they were knowingly ignoring their ban. If so...wow.

Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Our policy has always been to never comment on user admin actions, but I am willing to reconsider that if necessary.

I think that's a necessity at this point, as it shows the forum members that you are doing something about it. I have never been on a forum where bans and/or suspensions were not labeled under the user's name somewhere. I will tell you now that if my jackassery gets me suspended and/or banned, I would expect some sort of notation under my name.

In addition to showing that Invelos cares about the forum attitude, it will also be a deterrent. I know that if I'm on a forum that I'm not a mod of and I see someone is banned, I click their previous posts to see why they got banned and I know where the line is. This is, of course, assuming you would do something about the way posts are moderated because currently the way it's done is a cop out. If someone is out of line, don't delete the post with the "Forum Moderator: No personal attacks", publicly call them out on it. Have your mods quote the post with a warning (unless, of course, it's something way over the line). That way everyone can see what, exactly, was out of line. I'm not saying the way it's done is not normal, but I'm a member of quite a few boards, and I've never seen posts completely erased with a generic reply from the mod. It's always been public and open. If someone, including myself, is going to act like a clown on a public forum, they take the risk of being called out publicly.

This may be just my opinion, but I've seen it work on all the other boards I've been part of and the moderation does not work here. (Note, I do completely acknowledge that you (Ken) are seemingly open to discussing it now with your responses, so if it's moving in a better direction, then rock on.)
Reviewer, HorrorTalk.com

"I also refuse to document CLT results and I pay my bills to avoid going to court." - Sam, keeping it real, yo.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTaro
Belgium Posts: 1,580
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kulju:
Quote:
I think that during the ban user should have a ban logo so other users could actually see that Invelos is doing something

Actually, I had a ban logo (The star with a red sign over it) :
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8813/banneduo.jpg

Ken, I'm perfectly willing to take you on your word that one user slid by the ban thanks to an error. Unfortunately, it was only the tip of the iceberg and my resolve is the same: as long as nothing decisive is done about the biggest offender(s), I'm not comfortable on these forums.

You ban users because they discuss the usefulness of the original title field in a thread about the correct title of Terminator Salvation, yet blatant racist remarks are left untouched.

In fact, allow me to say that I don't feel sorry for myself: I'm only a very small fish as far as contributions go (some profiles, romanizations and Japanese headshots, but that's it). What's really deplorable is that very important contributors, such as Matthias to name just one have left because of that same user and Invelos inability or unwillingness to do something about it. When we move to version 3.6, his plugins won't work anymore probably and the only reason he won't release a new version is the behavior of one user. Do you have any idea how much these things hurt the community, your community? I use the advanced credit lookup pluging every other two days or so, just to name one.

Did you know that many users, some exclusively, post on other fan-owned forums instead of here, simply because they feel safer there, knowing he won't come in and start running amok? You think all of that is par for the course? Normal?

My bags are packed and I'm moving over to those other forums.
Blu-ray collection
DVD collection
My Games
My Trophies
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
United States Posts: 3,475
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Personally I do not thing that twenty four hours is an adequate length of time for a first offense. But, if this is Ken's decision, so be it. The ban for subsequent offenses should increase in duration. That being said how and why someone should be banned is a concern I have. 

Some thoughts on this issue:

Does the forum community have any input into the banning process? If so, in what way?

How do we insure that the banning system is fair and equally applied?

Should guidelines be developed outlining what is unacceptable? How to we go about this process?

Should a committee be formed to address these types of issues? If acceptable to Ken and Gerri, how do we implement this?
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Taro:
Quote:
Actually, I had a ban logo (The star with a red sign over it) :
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8813/banneduo.jpg

That shows for you only. Others only see positive stars.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm also in favor of showing bad reputation as well as banned status.  I appreciate that you try not to embarrass people by showing that.  But I also think that if someone is in that situation, they put themselves there.  And showing who is banned would be helpful to see that something is being done.  Right now it's too transparent and it seems like nothing is being done.  I think part of the problem is the perception that no one cares.

Ken, I know you're taking quite a beating today. So thanks for coming out of the cave long enough to take your medicine and show us that you care enough to listen.  I for one appreciate it.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
I for one appreciate it.

That makes two of us
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
Coffin, not cave.  I am, after all, a zombie.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAntares
United States Posts: 599
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Coffin, not cave.  I am, after all, a zombie.

Zombie with a hammer, nice bit of photo-shopping there Ken 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
Ken I know that it isn't your favorite subject, but you must understand that the forum is the public window of your company for every potential new owner and this window is really dirty and since a long time. You must use real moderation, not just say I will do that and that and doing very little since it doesn't sound serious : the problematic users know that and profit of this to say whatever they want because nothing happen.

When the moderation had started I said that 24 hours was not enough and my idea is always the same. The banning processus must be more strict (start with a week and no more than 3 chances before the definitive bye!). The moderator must act fast to lock the thread (10 pages argument about frivolity aren't normal in a forum). The moderator must tell why a post is warning worthy (not only writing personal attack or stay on-topic) and not erase a post completly (but I'm not sure if he always does this). The ban temporary or permanent must be seen on screen under the member name (just like his/her bad reputation must be also).

This isn't that different than what I see in the other forums I'm a member of and I don't think it's too much to ask.

It's your chance Ken to clean your company window don't miss it. Maybe it will be too late later and you will loose other plugin developper, important contributor or translation maker. They are the one who make your product better...

I just hope that I haven't written all that for nothing...

Jimmy
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKulju
Finland Posts: 2,337
Posted:
Quoting AESP_pres:
Quote:
Ken I know that it isn't your favorite subject, but you must understand that the forum is the public window of your company for every potential new owner and this window is really dirty and since a long time.

And we (or actually you Ken) must understand that when someone leaves this forum, they don't leave from the Internet. They usually move to another forum and one might think that they don't pass a good word for this forum and that will drove away your potential new customers. So it's not just a lost for this community, the effect is bigger.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorRander
I hate mondays...
Denmark Posts: 670
Posted:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Our policy has always been to never comment on user admin actions, but I am willing to reconsider that if necessary.

Noone is asking you to comment on actions, only provide an indication of users currently banned. It could be as simple as a by the users picture in the forum - maybe where the reputation is now?
The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet. (William Gibson)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAce_of_Sevens
Posted:
I've been in lots of forums and used to moderate for IGN as well. Basically, invisible moderation is all but useless. It makes it so people are never sure what will get them banned and makes it looks like the admins aren't doing anything. Sometimes, it leads to abuse where the moderators ban peopel for talking back or something. Almost every forum I've been on makes it clear who is banned and why.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Perhaps you missed this part:

Quote:
It used to be that authorizations were only read at the time of login, which could cause this and also cause someone who never logged out to bypass the ban.  When we noticed someone bypassing their ban, we corrected so the setting is read on every post.

In other words, because the other user never logged out, he had bypassed the ban.  Even though he was technically banned, the system didn't recognized it and allowed him to post.  Glad you got that fixed.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
Personally I do not thing that twenty four hours is an adequate length of time for a first offense. But, if this is Ken's decision, so be it. The ban for subsequent offenses should increase in duration.

Just a little FYI on this.  A twentyfour hour ban is pretty standard for a first offense...at least it was for every company I worked for...GeoCities, Yahoo and MAXIS, just to name three.  A second offense would get you three days, and a third would get you a week.  If you managed a fourth offense, within a specified time period, you were gone for thirty days.  Permanent bans were fairly rare as the average user got the message by ban number two.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:
Just a little FYI on this.  A twentyfour hour ban is pretty standard for a first offense...at least it was for every company I worked for...GeoCities, Yahoo and MAXIS, just to name three.  A second offense would get you three days, and a third would get you a week.  If you managed a fourth offense, within a specified time period, you were gone for thirty days.  Permanent bans were fairly rare as the average user got the message by ban number two.

This system sounds very promising.
Now all that's needed is a definition for punishable offenses.
What we would have then is a comprehensible and reproducible system.

At least I would like this.
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantMark Harrison
I like IMDB
United States Posts: 3,321
Posted:
Quoting TheMadMartian:
Quote:

Those sound like very reasonable limits to me. I'd be quite happy if the slate were wiped clean and we implemented this ASAP or something close to it.
Get the CSVExport and Database Query plug-ins here.
Create fake parent profiles to organize your collection.
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 12 13 14 15 16 ...33  Previous   Next