Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 10 11 12 13 14 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAstrakan
Canada Posts: 1,299
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
In light of Taro leaving and a few of the last posts in this thread calling for more to be done, I thought I'd do a quick tally of moderated posts from some of the users here. My choice of users is entirely unscientific. It's based on who I could recall having seen having had their posts moderated, but since I don't read all threads I may very well have left out some users who are frequently moderated.

I went through the past 30 days worth of posts for 10 users that came to mind, and in order of number of moderated posts, this is what I found:

#1 - 54 moderated posts (49 if "Quoting Personal Attack" posts aren't counted)
#2 - 16 moderated posts (13 if "Quoting Personal Attack" posts aren't counted)
#3 - 14 moderated posts (10 if "Quoting Personal Attack" posts aren't counted)
#4 - 8 moderated posts (5 if "Quoting Personal Attack" posts aren't counted)
#5 - 8 moderated posts (4 if "Quoting Personal Attack" posts aren't counted)
#6 - 5 moderated posts
#7 - 5 moderated posts
#8 - 4 moderated posts
#9 - 3 moderated posts
#10 - 1 moderated post

Like I said, this is entirely unscientific and is probably not the top 10 offenders, but the results are still striking.

For the number one offender to have had 1.8 posts moderated per day for the past 30 days and still be allowed to post... it's unfathomable to me. In any other forum I have participated in, and there's plenty, that person would have long since been perma-banned.

And for the number two and three offenders, with a post moderated more or less every other day, they too would be long gone. Best case scenario, they would have had lengthy temp-bans. But probably perma-bans.

For number four and five it's not quite as bad, having had 8 posts each moderated. That's still quite high, but not perma-ban worthy. Depending on the circumstances, something which I paid zero attention to, they may either deserve no other punishment, or a short-term temp-ban.

Six and onwards I don't think is much to talk about.

All this is obviously in my opinion, but I think these stats provide some food for thought.

KM

edited to add: Updated counts of the top five to show what the result would be if "Quoting Personal Attack" posts were not included.
Tags, tags, bo bags, banana fana fo fags, mi my mo mags, TAGS!
Dolly's not alone. You can also clone profiles.
You've got questions? You've got answers? Take the DVD Profiler Wiki for a spin.
 Last edited: by Astrakan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSpaceFreakMicha
Jesus-Freak
Germany Posts: 1,774
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Since the anouncement of the "ban hammer" i thought of something like this:

but instead it looks like they use one of these:

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorLewis_Prothero
Strength Through Unity
Germany Posts: 6,730
Posted:
Quoting Astrakan:
Quote:
For the number one offender to have had 1.8 posts moderated per day for the past 30 days and still be allowed to post... it's unfathomable to me. In any other forum I have participated in, and there's plenty, that person would have long since been perma-banned.

And for the number two and three offenders, with a post moderated more or less every other day, they too would be long gone. Best case scenario, they would have had lengthy temp-bans. But probably perma-bans.

Completely agreed, especially since the Moderators aren't moderating all too often.
It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up!
But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid?

Registrant since 05/22/2003
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVittra
O.o
United States Posts: 384
Posted:
Quoting Astrakan:
Quote:
In light of Taro leaving and a few of the last posts in this thread calling for more to be done, I thought I'd do a quick tally of moderated posts from some of the users here. My choice of users is entirely unscientific. It's based on who I could recall having seen having had their posts moderated, but since I don't read all threads I may very well have left out some users who are frequently moderated.

I went through the past 30 days worth of posts for 10 users that came to mind, and in order of number of moderated posts, this is what I found:

#1 - 54 moderated posts
#2 - 16 moderated posts
#3 - 14 moderated posts
#4 - 8 moderated posts
#5 - 8 moderated posts
#6 - 5 moderated posts
#7 - 5 moderated posts
#8 - 4 moderated posts
#9 - 3 moderated posts
#10 - 1 moderated post

Like I said, this is entirely unscientific and is probably not the top 10 offenders, but the results are still striking.

For number four and five it's not quite as bad, having had 8 posts each moderated. That's still quite high, but not perma-ban worthy. Depending on the circumstances, something which I paid zero attention to, they may either deserve no other punishment, or a short-term temp-ban.

All this is obviously in my opinion, but I think these stats provide some food for thought.

KM

I'm willing to bet that most of the #2-#10 on your list were towards the #1 as well. And people try to attribute to that as people picking on the #1 but it's not like #1 hasn't put themselves in that position.

Point is this: Take #1 away and I'd wager that the number of posts having to be moderated would be slim to none.
"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAlien Redrum
Proudly blocked by liars.
United States Posts: 1,656
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Vittra:
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that most of the #2-#10 on your list were towards the #1 as well. And people try to attribute to that as people picking on the #1 but it's not like #1 hasn't put themselves in that position.

Point is this: Take #1 away and I'd wager that the number of posts having to be moderated would be slim to none.

I know this will come to a shock to a few of you, but I'm only number 4/5 on there (and, in my defense, 3 were from quoting a personal attack, so you can't even count those).

That said, Vittra is spot on. I would have zero warnings if #1 wasn't on my a$$ from day one.
Reviewer, HorrorTalk.com

"I also refuse to document CLT results and I pay my bills to avoid going to court." - Sam, keeping it real, yo.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsamuelrichardscott
United Kingdom Posts: 2,650
Posted:
I think I'm number 3 (must try harder). Funnily enough, all retaliatory to personal attacks on me.

(One of them was a post where all I said was Grow up).
 Last edited: by samuelrichardscott
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsamuelrichardscott
United Kingdom Posts: 2,650
Posted:
Quoting Alien Redrum:
Quote:
That said, Vittra is spot on. I would have zero warnings if #1 wasn't on my a$$ from day one.

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAlien Redrum
Proudly blocked by liars.
United States Posts: 1,656
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting samuelrichardscott:
Quote:
I think I'm number 3 (must try harder). Funnily enough, all retaliatory to personal attacks on me.

(One of them was a post where all I said was Grow up).

Well you did say it to He Who Must Not Be Touched, after all.

I say you deserve the warning.
Reviewer, HorrorTalk.com

"I also refuse to document CLT results and I pay my bills to avoid going to court." - Sam, keeping it real, yo.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Astrakan:
Quote:

#1 - 54 moderated posts
#2 - 16 moderated posts
#3 - 14 moderated posts
#4 - 8 moderated posts
#5 - 8 moderated posts
#6 - 5 moderated posts
#7 - 5 moderated posts
#8 - 4 moderated posts
#9 - 3 moderated posts
#10 - 1 moderated post

KM

An interesting read but it would be fairer if you only included posts that were moderated due to that specific user not because they quoted a post that was moderated.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAstrakan
Canada Posts: 1,299
Posted:
Quoting Forget_the_Rest:
Quote:
An interesting read but it would be fairer if you only included posts that were moderated due to that specific user not because they quoted a post that was moderated.

I only counted the pink lines. But sure, I can do that. Will take me a little while, but I'll edit my original post once I'm done the count.

edit: Okay, the top five have been updated. Figure there's no point in updating the counts on the rest, since they're so low to begin with.

KM
Tags, tags, bo bags, banana fana fo fags, mi my mo mags, TAGS!
Dolly's not alone. You can also clone profiles.
You've got questions? You've got answers? Take the DVD Profiler Wiki for a spin.
 Last edited: by Astrakan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks!
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm very troubled by Taro's report that he was banned. I went back and looked at the posts of the #1 moderated user. That user has posted every calendar day in the past 30 days. That to me indicates no banning for that user (unless they were for a few hours while he was sleeping or something  ). Yet Taro was banned in the same period, and certainly not for anything worse or even approaching the level of the #1 moderated user.

I'm stunned and disgusted.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhayley taylor
Past Contributor
United Kingdom Posts: 1,022
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
I'm very troubled by Taro's report that he was banned. I went back and looked at the posts of the #1 moderated user. That user has posted every calendar day in the past 30 days. That to me indicates no banning for that user (unless they were for a few hours while he was sleeping or something  ). Yet Taro was banned in the same period, and certainly not for anything worse or even approaching the level of the #1 moderated user.

I'm stunned and disgusted.

+1
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
United States Posts: 4,282
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The analysis is incorrect.  Temp "single day" bans currently last until midnight CST, regardless of when they are instituted.  You can certainly argue that this kind of ban is not strong enough, but cannot deduce that  the user has not received a temp ban.

In the past month, several users received these bans, and absolutely none of these temp bans were for going off topic.

Currently we're working on response times for edits and these temp bans.  If that can reign in the incendiary comments, great.  If not, these will be extended to multi-day bans, and further as required.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
 Last edited: by Ken Cole
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
Quoting Astrakan:
Quote:

I'm the #10 and your right there are nothing to talk about
Of course we can't count the post who vanish mysteriously, happen with some of mine in the past but I ain't sure if the moderator continue to do this...
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Temp "single day" bans currently last until midnight CST, regardless of when they are instituted.  You can certainly argue that this kind of ban is not strong enough

So I can come home from work, insult France, call you an idiot or a jerk or a bird brain, get "banned", go out for a nice dinner, come home at 10 pm PST...hooray, my privileges have been restored...and continue posting right where I left off?

I guess I've been doing it wrong. I thought a ban was something to actually fear.

...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 10 11 12 13 14 ...33  Previous   Next