Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 9 10 11 12 13 ...33  Previous   Next
Moderation Trial
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
It seems that Ken has been listening and is trying to sort the issue.

Thanks!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAntares
United States Posts: 599
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
I used every one of my red votes this morning on a single user.  I didn't even read their posts, I just handed out a red every time I saw one of their posts.

This may at first seem like an abuse of the voting system and I understand those red votes may be removed or reversed.  I also understand that it may have a negative effect on my own reputation score and/or even effect my ability to rate others.

Here's my justification.  This user over the years has chased away a large number of forum members.  His behavior towards others is shameful and continues on a regular basis.  While it's true that this member has contributed much towards "the community" over the years, it is far outweighed, and even negated in my mind, by his behavior.  If such a thing were possible, I'd glad agree to have every one of his contributions removed from the database if only he'd go with them.  Maybe we could get some of the old members to return to fill in the gaps.

Based on those reasons, I feel that my negative feedback actually is warranted and I feel the red votes should stand.  The fact that this user is allowed to be here is offensive to me that's my reason for handing out the red votes.  I plan to continue this protest until Ken clarifies that I'm violating the spirit of the voting system or my voting privileges are revoked.

Forum moderators: Before you delete my post, please check my posting history.  You'll see that I'm not one to post negative comments.  I tend to stay out of the nasty threads and don't tend to contribute to the bashing that goes on around here.  I hope you won't see this as just another abusive post to be censored.  I wouldn't have spoken up except that I believe this situation has gotten too far out of hand.

Green arrow for you Mark!

Losing Goodguy should be the final straw!

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAstrakan
Canada Posts: 1,299
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Antares:
Quote:
Losing Goodguy should be the final straw!

We lost Goodguy? That's terrible news. 

KM
Tags, tags, bo bags, banana fana fo fags, mi my mo mags, TAGS!
Dolly's not alone. You can also clone profiles.
You've got questions? You've got answers? Take the DVD Profiler Wiki for a spin.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributordee1959jay
Netherlands Posts: 6,018
Posted:
Quoting jgilligan:
Quote:
The moderation trial started out strong but has definitely faded.  Too many inappropriate posts are being left for all to see and it appears that little or nothing is being done to those who push or exceed the limits.

The unfortunate outcome is that some long-time respected members of our community are deciding to move on.  We've seen a few come out to state that they were leaving, but how many have just gone away quietly?  Ken has said that the contribution level is still good, but many, if not most, of those contributing rarely if ever participate in the forums.  This forum is one of the great parts of this application.  I would hate to see participation here fall any further.

While I haven't moved on, the atmosphere here has definitely caused me to refrain from posting on many occasions.  I love a good debate, and I'm always interested in working toward a solution to a problem.  But, those seldom happen here.  When viewpoints are opposed and neither side wishes to concede, it gets ugly.

I find all of this quite sad.  It really isn't any more difficult to post in a respectful manner than it is to post rudely.  The anonymity of the internet has made some people too bold. I don't need to have a thicker skin, nor should anybody else.  I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but I do expect to be dealt with in a respectful manner.

Very good post - totally agree! 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbbbbb
on steroids
Posted:
Quoting Forget_the_Rest:
Quote:
Quote:
Where can I look up the Rules for the use of the Red Arrow? They aren't mentioned in the Forum Rules.

You get it when giving a red but there's not much said really. Here's what's said -

Quote:
Please note that negative feedback must be warranted, based on the message below. Invelos administrators monitor feedback and may elect to remove or reverse this feedback. Your own user reputation score, and the permission to rate others, depend on accurate feedback, so please ensure this post warrants negative feedback before continuing.

This merely describes the consequences of a Red Arrow.

The Green Arrow policies: "Positive ratings reward community members who post helpful or useful messages."

In comparison a Red Arrow is the appropriate means to mark a message as unhelp- or unuseful.

From the point of view of the reader.

To rate a message as useless should not give rise to Moderator actions.
Don't confuse while the film is playing with when the film is played. [Ken Cole, DVD Profiler Architect]
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
Bug?  You can vote on locked threads.
Posted:
Quoting Dr. Killpatient:
Quote:
Bug?  You can vote on locked threads.

Just noticed that too.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantGraveworm
United Kingdom Posts: 357
Posted:
I appreciate it's a contentious issue but if the moderators have to continually warn the same person(s)  surely, at some point, it's either pointless warning them or they have to ban them as has been promised. Failure to do so can only be viewed as either the moderators don't have the support of the board owners or the moderation policy is a pointless exercise.

I am not talking about users who attract red arrows or who have negative comments posted about them I am taliking about users who have constant moderators warnings usually for the same offences.

This is easy to police for example:
TRY CLICKING HERE
 Last edited: by Graveworm
Posted:
Quoting Graveworm:
Quote:
This is easy to police for example:
TRY CLICKING HERE

Wow! I think even a blind man in a darkroom can see a specific pattern there.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorreybr
Norway Posts: 906
Posted:
It's nice to see that moderators delete posts, but sadly they take to long to do it.
If the moderators had been a bit quicker moderating posts, threads wouldn't turn into the mudslinging contest that they tend to today. Stop it when the nastiness starts. Don't wait until it escalates.

I understand that the moderators, if they are on the staff here at Invelos can't be constantly monitoring the forum, but there are lots of times when the mudslinging has been going on for days before they step in and start deleting posts several days old.

If the current moderators don't have the time to do it more often or thorough than this, have some of the more active forum members do it (something I've strongly been opposed to before, but something have to be done about the situation)

The colour of her eyes, were the colour of insanity
 Last edited: by reybr
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
Quoting reybr:
Quote:
If the current moderators don't have the time to do it more often or thorough than this, have some of the more active forum members do it (something I've strongly been opposed to before, but something have to be done about the situation)

While I understand where you're coming from in that something needs to be done, I definitely do not agree with having users doing the moderation. Almost without exception, whoever is picked won't be totally unbiased. There are some users who would moderate almost all posts by certain other users while if you picked a different user, almost all of the first person's posts would be filtered.

It was recently said that if things didn't improve, they (Invelos) would get the ban hammer out. At the moment it seems more like a rubber hammer than a ban hammer and I really think it's time for them to crack down on users whose posts constantly need to be moderated. Of course, I'm only talking about those who attack, not those whose posts are edited for quoting moderated posts.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributordee1959jay
Netherlands Posts: 6,018
Posted:
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, I'm losing interest to participate in forum discussions more and more in view of all the nastiness that's going on here. I'm not prepared to waste my time reading all that crap - life's too short for that.

Invelos has to clear up its act. Either use that ban hammer or stop pretending you are doing moderation. Announcing measures and then not following up on that is the worst thing you can do (as any parent with small children could tell you).
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSpaceFreakMicha
Jesus-Freak
Germany Posts: 1,774
Posted:
I have to agree with "dee1959jay" and "Forget_the_Rest".

And IMHO the moderation trial period had until now only one effect: Posts got censored.
But the goal of a moderation shouldn't be censorship (thats only a tool) but a better atmosphere and a friendlier behaviour of all in the forums. And that is something where I unfortunately can't see any real improvement. 

So please Ken & forum moderators, don't just censor some posts, but work it out by using warnings and temporary bans more often.
 Last edited: by SpaceFreakMicha
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVittra
O.o
United States Posts: 384
Posted:
Gotta agree with all you guys. I was really hoping that after this whole moderation thing came into play that we would see an improvement on the forums. It's been how long now and have we seen an improvement? No... 

The moderation that's practiced here will fix nothing but only try to hide the problem...and even then, many times it's only after several days of mudslinging.

So instead of fixing the problem we get some empty promises and many people getting fed up with the atmosphere and leaving. So Ken, please take this community a little more seriously when we say there's a problem that needs fixing. 

Graveworm's post says it all...check those posts and you really do see a trend on which members are causing the problems. Just how many personal attacks do you have to commit to get a ban around here? Temp or otherwise....
"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire
 Last edited: by Vittra
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSpaceFreakMicha
Jesus-Freak
Germany Posts: 1,774
Posted:
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
France Posts: 4,479
Posted:
Quoting SpaceFreakMicha:
Quote:
Ken & Forum moderators, please read this:

http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=426802&messageID=1156103#M1156103

It is amazing to learn that Taro has been banned. He was a polite guy, never sent insults, and had a significant contribution to the quality of the database.
Images from movies
    Invelos Forums->General: Website Discussion Page: 1... 9 10 11 12 13 ...33  Previous   Next