Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 9 10 11 12 13 14  Previous   Next
Star Wars II - Episode or not
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantjgilligan
Got PEZ?
United States Posts: 171
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
One more try...

The rules are the rules, but when the rules don't make sense, it's time to look at things, not just blindly follow them.

If anybody here thinks we will ever have a set of rules that will correctly address any and all situations we might find on a DVD, they are clueless.  There are too many variations that we will never think of.  And, if we did, the rules would be thousands upon thousands of pages long.  Then, we would spend all our time reading the rules and not have any time to collect, let alone watch, DVDs.

Common sense IS the answer.  I know several here don't believe in it, but it's being shown all over this thread and the voting.

If we have to go through and change every title every time there is a rule change because the rules demand it, then we are actively pursuing the goal of the perpetual ping-pong.  From all of the arguments I've heard here, we were supposed to be trying to avoid that, but maybe I'm confused.

Flame away...
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributornorthbloke
United Kingdom Posts: 5,459
Posted:
No flaming from me - you're quite right.
If these had been new profiles, I could understand the debate (maybe not 10 pages of it...), but these are well-established, most likely extremely popular profiles, and the removal of the word "episode", while technically right, does nothing to improve the database.
As far as I'm aware, at no time has Ken said that a rule change is retro-active, and that we are obliged to "correct" any profile that finds it's data at question after a rule change.
I'd much rather see people's energies focused on new or incomplete profiles than retreading the same old profiles again and again.
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantbbursiek
United States Posts: 262
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Dear Ken (kdh1949),

It was not my intention to engender further combativeness or negativity. It is the tendency of those on these forums to become personal, nasty, agressive etc. that I was hoping to defuse somewhat.  I want to participate in thoughtful, civil, and constructive discussions not name calling, threatening, arguments. I do care what you think and I respect your point of view.  I'm not suggesting you were especially combative but the "you should be banned from contributing" was not helpful.

On my use of the term "guidelines" in my previous post I was not conciously using that term as a reference to the previous era (before I bought the program I believe) when the "rules" were called guidelines. I was simply using the term generically -- I guess I meant the rules are designed provide "guidance" to users on what is a proper contrbution. They are not exhaustive (they have to remain brief obviously) and as a result do not answer all questions -- there is clearly room for interpretation --- they can be (and have been) changed periodically to address certain points. All this means to me that the rules should not elevated to sacred status. The underlying purpose of the rules is to produce ACCURATE results and when they don't do that it's a problem.

That having been said I respect the rules and do not contribute things that I believe violate them. I agree that personal preferences regarding database entries are best left to user's local database. For instance I like to use 2-Disc Set in the "Other" section of "Features" but I would not contribute that or support someone who does. Why? The rules specifically say you shouldn't and that result is NOT silly - it's a matter of personal preference.

However I think the purpose of the rules is to produce an accurate and consistent database - in this case (Star Wars DVD Titles) I think the rules are producing an inaccurate result which hurts the database -- which is why I voted no. I am honestly and sincerely suggesting that an exception to the rule be permited in this instance but like I said before I will respect the decision of Ken Cole (he is the owner of the database after all) regardless of whether I agree with it.

In that respect I cannot agree with some people who have stated they plan to make a contribution to change the title back if Skip's current contributions are approved. I think everyone (as I stated in my earlier post) should accept the decision (whatever it is) and move on.

I also hope that those with differing viewpoints (such as Skip - who I like personally and whose tremendous effort in making detailed and accurate contributions I greatly appreciate) can accept that I have a honest and sincere differing view about whether this contribution is a good one for the database. As much as I might disagree with someone's opinon stated here I can't envision ever campaigning to punish those with removal of voting privileges just because of a sincere disagreement about a particular contribution. It certainly seems that some people have an honest belief that the rules permit "Episode" to remain in the titles at issue here.

However as I stated before IMHO the rules as written favor removing the word "Episode" from the title but I also feel that since the rules can be and are changed (and by the way are not perfect, infallible, or handed down by God (although Ken Cole is the God of DVD Profiler )) that we can permit people to at6 least express the view (through their vote) that a particular contribution makes the database less accurate. Ultimately Ken Cole decides what to do and I hope he considers all sides.

Sincerely,

Brian
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Brian:

No problem here, I understand what you are saying. Sadly however, because of concerns there are two possible options here, neither of whichh I can approve of. Create some sort of strange exception which cause more complexity and is gyaranteed to come back and haunt us, which is why theexceptions which were included were very carefully considered. Or returning to film credits for title, this amounts to the Rule of the Week, I don't believe it should have been changed in the first place, BUT it was, so be it and we have to live with whatever effects it causes. Let's face facts, the Rule was changed largely because people were desperately trying to find a way to exclude data, they go their wish and now.... Just don't expect me to be sympathetic, I tried to stop it. I am not smarter than the data or the Rules and despite the claims of a few, I do not know what the filmmakers intent is. The data is the data, and whatever the Rule says there are going to be consequences that are going to HAVE to be dealt wiith on a local basis, whether it be possessive's., Episode or whatever effect we run into next...trust me it will be found. I am already aware of another that I wish not to expound upon. This was an ill-thought decision designed to achieve a specific objective. I hope lessons will be learned here, especially by those in what appears to be the anti-Skip community.

Like it or not between my wife and myself we have nearly 50 years in database design, and i have access to friends who combine for another 75 years, plus whatever years Ken and Gerri have, I don't mean to blow my own horn but I do know whereof I speak. Bottom line Ken has some excellent resources at his disposal, I learned many years that no matter how much a programmer might wish to give the users what they want, it is not frequently the best course of action and i think this demonstrates that graphically.

Sorry, folks, it is what it is.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantbbursiek
United States Posts: 262
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Skip,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I also can say I appreciate what you are saying. I think your points are well taken. As I stated before I will respect Ken's decision (ruling seems a bit much) and move on -- of course I will retain "Episode" in my local which in the end is a nice feature of the program.

I also want to state that I personally did not campaign for the rule change and agree that in most cases changes to the rules create as many problems as they solve. I also want to state (b/c it ofen goes by the wayside in these debates and isn't said often enough) that I think this is a very nicely done program and Ken Cole deserves credit for creating it and improving it and nuturing it along despite all the obstacles legal and otherwise he had to overcome. I also appreciate the efforts of those who take the time to painstakingly add the overview, cast, crew, common names and the like to the profile for many DVDs. I know I contribute very little by comparison. My only wish is that these intrepid contributors owned more of my more esoteric titles

Skip are you willing to go out and buy more of the same titles I own so you can work your magic?

Happy Thanksgiving

Brian
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantVibroCount
The Truth is Silly Putty
United States Posts: 5,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
If it wasn't for bad taste, I wouldn't have no taste at all.

Cliff
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantchibul
formerly abrg923
United States Posts: 462
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
I must admit I do so enjoy ramming the majority's bad rules back down their throats, it was short-sighted at the time and I tried to explain all of that but as usual if Skip says it then it has to be bad, so live the fallout of your own decision.

I voted neutral because I can't support changes being made to ram anything down elseone else's throats.  I don't believe this was done to improve the database, but to prove a point.  And I won't partake.

Oh, that's exactly what's going on here...and if anyone allows Skip to convince them otherwise, they're fools. It's saddening for a grown man to act in such a manner over something that, in the big picture, isn't the least bit important.
"I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow?

No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose…
Rapture."
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
The why are you fussing about it, Ross, if I take you at your word. the Rules are what they are, I don't judge them or the data, I do what they say.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
Quoting chibul:
Quote:
Oh, that's exactly what's going on here...and if anyone allows Skip to convince them otherwise, they're fools. It's saddening for a grown man to act in such a manner over something that, in the big picture, isn't the least bit important.

Who cares if that is "what's going on here"?  The contribution follows the rules and that is all that matters.  I voted 'yes' when hal did this and voted 'yes' when Skip did it.

As for it not being "the least bit important", how many profile changes are?  I mean, if we are looking at the 'big picture'.  I can't count the number of contributions I have voted on where the only change is, 'added widescreen to dist. trait'.  How important are those? 
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Let's face facts, the Rule was changed largely because people were desperately trying to find a way to exclude data, they go their wish and now....

Please stop saying this as it is not true.  The request to use the title from the front of the DVD case was made long before the possessive issue was raised.  And, since we are facing facts, all the possesive issue did was add the 'credit block' portion to the original rule changes Ken showed us back in September.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
 Last edited: by TheMadMartian
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDaddy DVD
Lost in Translation
Netherlands Posts: 2,366
Posted:
Quoting kdh1949:
Quote:
Quoting bbursiek:
Quote:
The person voting should vote what they want the result to be (otherwise why vote? - Ken decides the rules not us) -- whether they want that result because they feel the rules require it or because they feel an exception is warranted.

Not true.  The rules state that:

If a user is following the Contribution Rules and his/her data is accurate, and the contribution replaces data which is inaccurate or violates these Contribution Rules, a "No" vote is considered an abuse of the voting privilege and should be avoided when possible.
If someone votes they way that they want the result to be - and that result violates the rules, it's an abuse of the Rules and the voter can be banned.

Not true. The rule states that voting against an assumingly correct contribution should be avoided when possible, which means that if the voter thinks the contribution could be wrong, he is in fact allowed to vote "No". We, the voters, are the jury. Mr. and Mrs. Cole are the judges. It's not the other way around.
Martin Zuidervliet

DVD Profiler Nederlands
 Last edited: by Daddy DVD
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhayley taylor
Past Contributor
United Kingdom Posts: 1,022
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Mark Harrison:
Quote:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
I must admit I do so enjoy ramming the majority's bad rules back down their throats, it was short-sighted at the time and I tried to explain all of that but as usual if Skip says it then it has to be bad, so live the fallout of your own decision.

I voted neutral because I can't support changes being made to ram anything down elseone else's throats.  I don't believe this was done to improve the database, but to prove a point.  And I won't partake.

ditto
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Waassamatter, Richie, don't like the taste of crow. Believe me my friend, no one was more upset about finding this than me. But i also hoped it would be a good object lesson. Remember this not something that I wanted, but it was something that the majority wanted, so now we have THIS, and there WILL be others, of differing forms to be sure, but the basic premise is the same. I have discovered another title which was modified by Hal correctly I might add, but the On Screen title is different from the Front Cover title. I would have a lot more respect for you and others, richie, if you would basically do what I did, sigh, cry over it a bit maybe but recognize that the Rules are what they are and no matter the film the Rule applies to ALL. Don't make the mistake of thinking I am pleased about it, I am merely amused and horribly disappointed in (but not at all surprised) the reaction.

You get what you want, until it is no longer convenient or you don't want it any longer. I am sorry but i am not sympathetic.
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantWhite Pongo, Jr.
No, I iz no Cheshire Cat!
Posted:
Quoting hal9g:

Quote:
The only reason I am involved in this discussion in the forum is because I believe that this Rule change was a huge mistake and these very visible titles are the casualties thereof.

I don't think so. Any rule has pros and cons, but at the end of the day DVDP keeps track of information about DVDs, not movies as such, so I must agree with Ken's choice.
Having said that, I also agree with you, because more title fields would be extremely useful, and that's what I already requested. At least it could be a "local only" feature (just like the Sort Title), so that it wouldn't cause too much fuss in the online database.

Quote:
What we really need is a "DVD Title" field, a "Movie Title" field (on screen) and an "Original Title" field.  I'm sure some would also like a "Other Title" field as well.

I couldn't agree more 
I asked for something like that in
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=201135&messageID=402791
Posted: September 14, 2007 5:23 PM   

Unfortunately, a majority of voters said they were not interested in having more title fileds.
That was before the Rule change, though. Maybe someone has changed his mind now? 
-- Enry
 Last edited: by White Pongo, Jr.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributordee1959jay
Netherlands Posts: 6,018
Posted:
Quoting EnryWiki:
Quote:

Quote:
What we really need is a "DVD Title" field, a "Movie Title" field (on screen) and an "Original Title" field.  I'm sure some would also like a "Other Title" field as well.

I couldn't agree more 
I asked for something like that in
http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=201135&messageID=402791
Posted: September 14, 2007 5:23 PM   

I would strongly agree, too. 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantDvdjon
Ministry of silly walks
Norway Posts: 159
Posted:
Have we gotten to the bottom of things if the title isent on the cover?

Like batman and the superman ultimate coll. edit.?

If I follow the rules blindly the superman boxset would be entitled

S. or Warner Brothers Ultimate collection. hehe that is on the sleeve.

I have called it superman ultimate collectors edition as i applied som ecommon sense, but its not in accord with the rules. Are you agreeing with my descicion here or should it be just s
Jon has recently watched these movies:
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 9 10 11 12 13 14  Previous   Next