Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 8 9 10 11 12 ...14  Previous   Next
Possessives removals
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
That's called compromise, Unicus. Something I always actively seek. As a matter of fact, I stated that I had no real opinion on this particular aspect, just brought up some points of view, but as usual instead of discussing the hard line do-nothing users picked an argument instead of discussuion and chose as usual not to address the points I raised. I still have no personal opinion on this topic and am quite satisfied with where Ken has gone.

Skip

You are quite satisfied? 

You voted 'no' on an update for The Thing 025192-778223 which removed the possessive...even though this is one of the specific examples listed by Invelos in the rules. Your comment was "Incorrect the existing title is correct and easily documented, if approved this will corrected per the RULES". So do you still plan to "correct" it? 

You have a contribution up right now to add "John Carpenter's The Thing" as the original title on 025192-543722 citing "Copyrighted title to Original field per Rules, verified through US Copyright Office" even though the rule for original titles says "Use the title from the copyright notice if available, otherwise from the film's credits" which Ken has clarified "copyright notice" to be the credit block on the back of the box.

On-screen title (preceded by "John Carpenter's"):

Hard to believe you are satisfied with the rules when you are on record in contributions and votes as opposing them.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
 Last edited: by m.cellophane
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBodi
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Full of inconsistencies ins't he?
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
Thanks James. You made my night with that post
tonight's the night...
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
;)
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
Sorry guys that is NOT the Copyrighted title for the film LIKE IT OR NOT. You have an agenda, that is clear and therefore completely and totally irrelevant. There has NEVER been any movie made with the title The Thing. But, enjoy your agenda anmd your ganmes, stopr being stuck on stupid.

Sorry, james your interpretation of the Rules as usual just doesn't wash.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
 Last edited: by Winston Smith
tonight's the night...
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Sorry guys that is NOT the Copyrighted title for the film LIKE IT OR NOT. You have an agenda, that is clear and therefore completely and totally irrelevant. There has NEVER been any movie made with the title The Thing. But, enjoy your agenda anmd your ganmes, stopr being stuck on stupid.

Skip

Where in the rules does it say to consult the copyright office for the original title?

The rule is:
"Use the title from the copyright notice if available, otherwise from the film's credits"
...James

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbob9000
safety word?
Canada Posts: 844
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Skippy is a funny boy. The only agenda that I can see from reading these posts and the new rules is that Skip-to-my-loo here does not want to follow them. Of course that must mean that I must have an agenda too. 
 Last edited: by bob9000
tonight's the night...
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:

...and how did I misinterpret this:

Possessive examples: "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride", John Carpenter's "The Thing". In each case, the portion within quotes is the title.
My "interpretation" is that the portion within the quotes is "The Thing". Am I getting that wrong? Am I stuck on stupid? Is my agenda in the way? 
...James

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbob9000
safety word?
Canada Posts: 844
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Since "The Thing" is specifically cited in the rules it can only mean that Ken has an anti-skippy agenda too. 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBodi
Posted:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
John Carpenter's "The Thing".

Ooohhhh...there is no joy in Skipville!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
Bob:

I have said nothing about an anti_skippy agenda. I have all the information that I need to know that there are several users that have NO INTEREST in accurate data or even supporting Rules as repeatedly demonstrated in at least users votes. They are interested in supporting a TOTAL fiction. There is plenty of FICTIONAL data at IMDb, james, you would probably be much happier using their system, after all they don't even require you to document anything.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
tonight's the night...
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Bob:

I have said nothing about an anti_skippy agenda. I have all the information that I need to know that there are several users that have NO INTEREST in accurate data or even supporting Rules as repeatedly demonstrated in at least users votes. They are interested in supporting a TOTAL fiction. There is plenty of FICTIONAL data at IMDb, james, you would probably be much happier using their system, after all they don't even require you to document anything.

Skip

Non sequitur (logic)

Non sequitur is Latin for "it does not follow." In formal logic, an argument is a non sequitur if its conclusion does not follow from its premises.[1] In a non sequitur, the conclusion can be either true or false, but the argument is a fallacy because the conclusion does not follow from the premise. All formal fallacies are specific types of non sequitur. The term has special applicability in law, having a formal legal definition.

Here are two types of non sequitur of traditional noteworthiness:

1) Any argument that takes the following form is a non sequitur:

1. If A is true, then B is true.
  2. B is stated to be true.
  3. Therefore, A must be true.

Even if the premises and conclusion are all true, the conclusion is not a necessary consequence of the premises. This sort of non sequitur is also called affirming the consequent.

An example of affirming the consequent would be:

1. If I am a human (A) then I am a mammal. (B)
  2. I am a mammal. (B)
  3. Therefore, I am a human. (A)

"I" could be another type of mammal without being a human. While the conclusion may be true, it does not follow from the premises. This argument is still a fallacy even if the conclusion is true. It is a non sequitur (note that it is the exact same argument form as in example 1 - the form is always a non sequitur).

2) Another common non sequitur is this:

1. If A then B. (e.g., If I am in Tokyo, I am in Japan.)
  2. Not A. (e.g., I am not in Tokyo.)
  3. Therefore, not B. (e.g., Therefore, I am not in Japan.)

The speaker could be anywhere else in Japan. This sort of non sequitur is called denying the antecedent.

(If either of the above examples had "If and only if A, then B" as their first premise, then they would be valid and non-fallacious but unsound.)

Many other types of known non sequitur argument forms have been classified into many different types of logical fallacies. In everyday speech and reasoning, an example might be: "If my hair looks nice, all people will love me." However, there is no real connection between your hair and the love of all people. Advertising typically applies this kind of 'deduction'.
...James

DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorJimmy S
Canada Posts: 1,982
Posted:
Skip Why do you continue to argument on this? Ken have take his decision, like it or not we have to live with it. I don't agree with all the rules, but I follow them for the public database and you follow them too usually. This is just for the pleasure of the argument, am I right?

Just check the update rules it's pretty clear

You can do want you want with your own database, to paraphrase you 
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Posted:
James... you must be bored this evening. 

You know there is no way to win anything when one side keeps changing the rules just to keep the argument going.

1st it was "use the cover and include every possessive all the time". Ken's new rule. Against what the majority wanted so it was the perfect chance for Skip to argue with a bunch of people.

When Ken re-evaluated his position to go with what the majority wanted Skip didn't let it drop, he jumped on what turned out to be an incorrect choice of wording on Ken's part. This allowed him to continue the argument and point out what a "huge mess the majority has created" [paraphrasing].

The "huge mess" was cleaned up by Ken within a couple of hours. Did that stop the argument... nope.

Now it continues with some type of "accurate title not a fictional one" argument. I'm telling you it will not stop there.

The fact that he has chosen one of the two examples Ken gives in the rules shows he has absolutely no interest in following what Ken has decided to use. IMO he is simply doing this to continue the argument. I say this because I do believe he has respect for Ken. Completely ignoring Ken's example tells me he either no longer respects Ken or he is simply doing it to keep the argument going. You decide.

If you do happen to change his mind (HA!) he will simply change the rules again and continue arguing. He seems to need it for some reason.

My advice to you, engage your forum block or, if you wish to continue reading his posts, at the very least put your foil hat back on! For goodness sake... you're completely unprotected here!
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
United States Posts: 13,201
Posted:
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:

Skip

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying here.  James says that the title, per the rules, should be 'The Thing'.  You claim that James' interpretation of the rules is wrong and he is stuck on stupid.

Since James' interpretation is based, in part, on the fact that Ken used 'The Thing' as an example in the rules, it begs the question...what must you think of Ken? 

I am sorry Skip, but you have really put your foot in it this time. 
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
 Last edited: by TheMadMartian
tonight's the night...
Posted:
Quoting lyonsden5:
Quote:
My advice to you, engage your forum block or, if you wish to continue reading his posts, at the very least put your foil hat back on! For goodness sake... you're completely unprotected here!

Forgive me. I am ashamed of my weakness. 

Tinfoil hat engaged:
...James

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 8 9 10 11 12 ...14  Previous   Next