Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 8 9 10 11 12 ...14  Previous   Next
Derailed (796019-786492) Why are there NO votes?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBehemot
Norway Posts: 555
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Voltaire53:
Quote:
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
Quoting Bodi:
Quote:
4 of them have already been documented in this thread.

That doesn't matter.  They were not documented at the time of submission, which makes them illegal.
You can't weasel your way around that fact.

Not necessarily true.

They could all have been fully documented under Invelos but then submitted to the Intervocative database with no documentation (as thousands of profiles were) losing all the previous info (one of the biggest losses in the transfer IMO)

... and FWIW if they were submitted when no documentation was required they are still legal. If you build an extension on your house small enough that doesn't require building permissions then two years later they change the law so that all sizes of extension now require building permissions you don't have to apply retrospectively...

The Intervocative contribution rules were given in June 2005. I quote from these rules:

Quote:
The authoritative source for information submitted should be the DVD itself.  Please don't make a correction to an existing profile based on the content of a third party database or the specifications printed on the cover.  In both cases, errors abound, so always verify the information directly from the DVD whenever possible.

This DVD was released in March 2006. The cast/crew "updates" done for this profile have not supplied any sort of documentation (neither at Intervocative nor at Invelos), and they obviously are not taken from the actual credits, so it's pretty self-evident that they have been taken from a 3rd party database.
 Last edited: by Behemot
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorO'Hara
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Hi,

Some remarks about this profile: Our German Brothers have two profiles of this movie in the database as 'Entgleist'. A beautiful word which reflects my state of mind. There used to be a third profile (location Switzerland) with the same UPC as the German one in the Intervocative database: 8-717418-085254 but this one didn't make it to the Invelos database since it had no Art but just as perfect as the other two.

8-717418-085261 (rental)

8-717418-085254

Crew and Cast match exactly the credits on disc. Worth a look. Released in June 2006 in Germany.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributoreaglejd
United States Posts: 270
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Bodi:
Quote:
4 of them have already been documented in this thread.

This thread is not the place to document anything!
Jim

More than I need, but not as many as I want!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantWhite Pongo, Jr.
No, I iz no Cheshire Cat!
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
He doesn't HAVE to Bodi, the data was illegal to begin with, not properly documented, that is all he needs. It should NEVER have been accepted, but for whatever reason it slippedpast the screeners, that does not magically confer upon the data legallity. It still remains unsupported and undocumented correctly, therefore it must be removed. Clearly there are two camps here as i knew there would be and as I noted in in my vote Notes, the call is up to Ken & Gerri.

Skip

Indeed the data was illegal, AFAIU, but it was accepted all the same, and now it is in the database. It is not up to us to judge the screeners for what they accepted. If you want to change that data, you have to follow Ken's Rules, and it seems to me Ken was clear on this point: only remove undocumented uncredited if they are a close match with a 3rd party database. You may not like it, but that's what he said.
-- Enry
 Last edited: by White Pongo, Jr.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
United States Posts: 3,475
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I received a very nice private message from someone who's opinion is different than mine. I thought I'd share my response:

The problem I have voting yes on this particular film is that there is no documentation that proves previously accepted data was ripped from a third party. I compared the list to several third party data bases and they are not the same.

It is my understanding that since the data does not match exactly (or nearly so) a third party, and has been accepted, then it is a legitimate profile. If this is true (and I recognize I may be wrong) then I believe the new contribution should identify and document the third party so I can see for myself that it has been in fact ripped off.

Personally I seldom use this kind of data. I don't even use locks; whatever the screeners decide is fine with me. If there is something I'm curious about I research it and DVDP is not only one source I use.
But, saying that, I do feel my vote should reflect my understanding of the rules and guidelines that are in place and that is why I voted no.

I recognize the time and effort that goes into contributing to the data base and I do thank you for taking the time to try and improve this wonderful program. I hope I have clearly explained my rationale in my vote and hope that you realize that there is nothing personal in my decision.    Kathy
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBehemot
Norway Posts: 555
Posted:
It is obvious that the original source for this profile was not the actual DVD/movie credits, I assume everyone agrees on this? (There are errors in character names, and many cast members listed as credited in the profile are in fact not in the actual movie credits.) That means that the data must have come from somewhere else. It is very likely that this "somewhere else" was IMDB. Even though the profile data isn't an exact IMDB match right now, this doesn't mean that the profile wasn't in fact sourced from IMDB. IMDB is also a user built database, and incorrect data could have been removed from it after the DVD profile was approved at Intervocative one and a half years ago, explaining why it doesn't match the profile now.

The best solution to this, IMO, would be to accept the changed profile, and then someone could make a new contribution with uncredited cast, with proper sources.
 Last edited: by Behemot
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
I am with you, behemot, that is absolutely the correct procedure. i am saddened though not surprised at the users who believe that illegal data that sneaks its way in then becomes the word of god and it dares not be touched. That is simply unbeliievable, illogical and totally irrational. In short to these people the Rules mean next to nothing.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantWhite Pongo, Jr.
No, I iz no Cheshire Cat!
Posted:
Quoting Behemot:

Quote:
The best solution to this, IMO, would be to accept the changed profile, and then someone could make a new contribution with uncredited cast, with proper sources.

The best solution to this, IMO, would be to give the possibility to contribute now the missing documentation, that has been partly shown in this thread but is not yet in the Contribution notes. 
-- Enry
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorBad Father
Posted:
The decision whether or not to keep the uncredited cast has already been made by the screeners with the denial of this profile contribution and yet you persist in wasting the screeners time by submitting it yet again?
My WebGenDVD online Collection
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Wrong, 8Ball, There several changes including restoration fo Credited Roles, and restoration of Credited personnel which were previously NOT included because the data was illegally pulled from somewhere OTHER than the film credits.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Let us see if I can comprehend this logic.

1) There is data on the film that was never properly included and is being included pre the Rules, this is because the data was clearly garnered from somewhere OTHER than the film credits, in other words the data was illegal to begin with.

2) There is (uncredited) data, previously undocumented and unsupported and therefore also illegal which is being removed

3) Because the data now LEGALLY conforms to our Rules per the film credits, but user is removin aforementioned illegally data, which has, by virtue of its improper previous acceptance has now achieved the status of written by the hand of God and cannot be removed.

Sorry I ain't buying it.

The credited data is now CORRECT and verified, the previously accepoted data which was illegally submitted and erroneously accepted was not written by the hand of God and should be unceremoniously REMOVED. If someone wishes to come back with documented (uncredited) data, that in my opinion would be the ADULT response.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantDr. Killpatient
Here's my card
United States Posts: 5,916
Posted:
Ahhh, the submission was derailed!
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorBad Father
Posted:
Illegal/illegally ...I'm sorry...but that cracks me up every time I read it .

Lets find the original profile submitter and string'em up
My WebGenDVD online Collection
Don't be discommodious
Posted:
Quoting 8ballMax:
Quote:
Illegal/illegally ...I'm sorry...but that cracks me up every time I read it .

Lets find the original profile submitter and string'em up

Seconded.

Somebody bring the rope.

Skip

ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
Outta here

Billy Video
 Last edited: by Winston Smith
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorAiAustria
Profiling since 2004
Austria Posts: 5,704
Posted:
Quoting AiAustria:
Quote:
Quoting Ken Cole:
Quote:
Uncredited should only be removed where they are a match with a third party database.  Note that they do not have to be an exact match.  If they are a close match with any third party database, and there is no listed justification, it's safe to remove them.

Does Ken's word mean anything in this community?

Regards, AA

About four pages backwards I dared to ask this question. - Nothing happened...

AA
Complete list of Common Names  •  A good point for starting with Headshots (and v11.1)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributornorthbloke
United Kingdom Posts: 5,459
Posted:
I don't have this disc, so I'm not aware of what's in the contribution notes, but I got the impression from what people have said here that the submitter had said they were similar to a 3rd party database, but hadn't actually said which database, so the voters were unable to verify. Apologies if I'm wrong.
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 8 9 10 11 12 ...14  Previous   Next